Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man  (Read 2785 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« on: January 16, 2008, 01:21:44 pm »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/incharacter/2008/01/your_turn_roast_beef_kazenzaki.html#more

"An idiosyncratic form of Ebonics"? WTF.

Maybe old media should just stick to what they do well? Especially if they're just going to have interns do the blogging?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:29:45 pm »

http://www.npr.org/blogs/incharacter/2008/01/your_turn_roast_beef_kazenzaki.html#more

"An idiosyncratic form of Ebonics"? WTF.

Maybe old media should just stick to what they do well? Especially if they're just going to have interns do the blogging?

Yeah, I don't know where the fuck she got that. It's weird to have so much publicity for Achewood, but I think it's good because I want Onstad to continue to make a decent living at it because he's producing my favorite thing ever FOR FREE. And forget the jackass who said that it jumped the shark and that it's mainstream.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:46:43 pm »

I think she was talking about how Beef says "dogg." Which is kind of ebonics-y.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:47:17 pm »

Yeah, somebody needs to look up "jumped the shark" in urbandictionary.  I mean, seriously -- do people even know what that means any more? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 03:49:27 pm »

I think she was talking about how Beef says "dogg." Which is kind of ebonics-y.

Jeez, one vocabulary item does not a whole dialect make.

Especially when Beef's speech patterns are of course idiosyncratic in his own special idiosyncratic way. It's so much missing the point.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 03:54:43 pm »

I care more about the picture that was up. It's not really representative of him at all. Plus I think it would color a potential reader's perception of the comic in the wrong way.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 04:49:23 pm »

I suppose that if you don't know someone who speaks with Beef's diction, it's kind of hard to come up with a descriptive term for his manner of speech.

"Ebonics" completely misses the point but, at the same time, what easily wrapped up term wouldn't?

"...e.e. cummings if he was kinda... trailer-trash with low-self-esteem but... also kinda not?"

I think this is more the overall failings of short-form journalism than the particular writer.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 05:00:55 pm »

I think this is more the overall failings of short-form journalism than the particular writer.

I'm not sure I'd dignify an intern's blog with the term journalism but either way, shortness is no excuse for lousy writing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 05:04:10 pm »

Yea, she missed the mark on this one. I think maybe it was sort of like "I need to write something for the intern blog, uhhh, achewood, I like achewood!"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 05:05:41 pm »

Okay, fair enough... intern's blog is an intern's blog.

But how does one describe Beef's idiosincratic phrasology in a short turn of phrase?

I'm blanking.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 05:22:05 pm »

Other than Beef-Speak?
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 06:46:07 pm »

I care more about the picture that was up. It's not really representative of him at all. Plus I think it would color a potential reader's perception of the comic in the wrong way.

Exactly. QFT.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 07:06:55 pm »

Okay, fair enough... intern's blog is an intern's blog.

But how does one describe Beef's idiosincratic phrasology in a short turn of phrase?

I'm blanking.

"An idiosyncratic and yet utterly comprehensible dialect - one which is, in what it doesn't say and how it doesn't say it, often more communicative than Standard English, blending unique and yet utterly unmistakable marks of higher education and lower upbringing."

That's some Intern Blog quality writing right there. A little longer but not too long for Intern Blog.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

Do you get paid to write stuff like that?  Because you should.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: NPR claims that Roast Beef is not an awful man
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 07:18:30 pm »

Yeah. Damn, I wish I needed to hire an intern to blog for me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up