The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on February 06, 2008, 01:59:54 am

Title: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 06, 2008, 01:59:54 am
If you haven't had primaries yet, but will vote, go did vote.  (You can change your vote)

We already have a political thread, so just say what you did if you want to out yourself.  I voted for Obama.  Lets see who would be touamb's president.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 06, 2008, 02:02:32 am
I voted Paul
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 06, 2008, 02:03:30 am
Yeah, I would have gone Kucinich if he was still in, but I just could not do it since he is already out. 
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2008, 02:10:55 am
So, I am unaffiliated and therefore can't vote in primaries, but if I could, I'd vote Obama or McCain.  I put Obama here because in a race between the two I am leaning slightly more towards the O.
 
For now. 
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 06, 2008, 02:41:19 am
Senator Clinton. She has the most overlap of "things I believe" and "getting the job done".
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Doc on February 06, 2008, 02:52:24 am
I can't vote but I would have gone Obama. Sometimes the nation just needs to chill for a bit.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: jaydub on February 06, 2008, 05:01:40 am
I voted McCain.  I now have another reason to live in fear of Ash.
Actually, it was a bit of a nose pincher for me on that topic.  Most people - since I live in gun-grabby CA - think I'm a major gun-nut.  Even though I've just got a 112-year old bolt-action rifle, which (along with shotguns) will probably be the last thing the government confiscates for our own good, I'm an original-intent constitutionalist on the 2nd Amendment.  I think the man's pragmatism and record on other things I find important outweigh the philosophical problem I have with him on that point.
If I was a single issue voter on the 2nd Amendment, I would have gone with Huckabee.  That guy had some serious stones standing up to the media frenzy following the Jonesboro school shootings.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: theinevitable on February 06, 2008, 05:35:44 am
I plan to vote for Barack Obama when we have our primary in NC on MAY 6TH. Which is ridiculous.

My dad always says "the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get a new result." Or something to that effect. To me, Senator Clinton seems like more of the same.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: wombat on February 06, 2008, 01:16:30 pm

I don't know who to vote for. I hate voting. I never feel like I know the right answers.

I'd be more enthusiastic about the process though if I could vote at this (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Photo-Highlight-Super-Tuesday/ss/photos_highlight_fp/im:/080205/480/4242187977374d29bb94ecfe9f938bc5/) place instead of a library basement.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on February 06, 2008, 02:07:49 pm
I plan to vote for Barack Obama when we have our primary in NC on MAY 6TH. Which is ridiculous.

Make sure you slip a dollar in the ballot to help him decide to win.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2008, 02:52:25 pm
You know, I was looking at the returns last night, and if this keeps up, the May 6 primary here in NC might actually be relevant. 

I might have to pick a party and go vote, after all. 
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 06, 2008, 03:17:45 pm
The Virginia primary is this coming Tuesday.  Apparently people in Virginia were calling their local election boards yesterday asking why the polls weren't open.

Obama's web site annoys me.  It's all oriented towards getting people involved, volunteering, etc., which is all well and good.  But for the life of me I can't find a schedule of appearances by the candidate himself, not without wading through every single primary-night returns party posted by everyone in Virginia.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: jaydub on February 06, 2008, 05:30:40 pm
I'd be more enthusiastic about the process though if I could vote at this (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Photo-Highlight-Super-Tuesday/ss/photos_highlight_fp/im:/080205/480/4242187977374d29bb94ecfe9f938bc5/) place instead of a library basement.
I always find it disturbing to see anthropomorphised food items preparing themselves enthusiastically to be eaten.  Like Tony Roma's pig mascot joyfully leaping into the oven.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: wombat on February 06, 2008, 06:42:49 pm
The Virginia primary is this coming Tuesday.  Apparently people in Virginia were calling their local election boards yesterday asking why the polls weren't open.

We talked about this. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4255.msg114083.html#msg114083) Or at least I did. But I can't blame you if you're not reading that thread.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Lister on February 06, 2008, 10:30:32 pm
I'm registered as an independent here in CA, but we don't have closed primaries so I could have voted for any party I wanted.

I think there's a time limit on changing party registration, though... one month before the election?  So it may require speed to do so before NC has their elections.

Also, my polling place is in some guy's garage.  Pretty nice house, though.  Much better than the church where I went to vote in Florida.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Doc on February 06, 2008, 11:07:25 pm
Good old California, I don't reload with the garage door open since a neighbor called the police on me as some kind of bomb making terrorist. Had nice talk with the police that day, lucky a couple of them reloaded as well and instantly recognized what I was up to and called off the alert. It's amazing what problems the irrational fears and prejudices of others can cause a guy.

Good thing it wasn't a lightbrite.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Golfhaus on February 06, 2008, 11:49:39 pm
You know, I was looking at the returns last night, and if this keeps up, the May 6 primary here in NC might actually be relevant. 

I might have to pick a party and go vote, after all. 

Wait, if you're independent in NC, you can't vote in the primaries? Shit.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: jaydub on February 07, 2008, 12:22:30 am
I'm registered as an independent here in CA, but we don't have closed primaries so I could have voted for any party I wanted.
Depends who you want to vote for in the primaries.  If you're actually registered unaffiliated or "Declines to State", you can vote in Democratic or American Independent party races, but not others (Republican, Peace & Freedom, Natural Law, etc).  The Open Primary Initiative, Prop 198 from 1996 was overturned by the Supreme Court in 2000.  We now have a "modified closed primary" system where if the party specifically requests to allow "Decline to State" voters, then you are permitted.
On the other hand, if you've mistakenly registered with the American Independent Party, you're only allowed to vote for their primary candidates - a race which featured Don Grundmann outlasting challengers Diane Templin and Mad Max Riekse with 37% of the 38,729 votes.  Grundmann can now go forth and promote the Party platform (http://www.aipca.org/Platform/platform.html) consisting of:


Which is dandy if that's what you meant to do...some people think it just means you get to vote in whatever party you want.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Doc on February 07, 2008, 01:29:50 am
Protect the right to life of the innocent unborn

We still sending those guilty unborn up to state for 15 to 20 though, right?
Gol-durn 'bangers getting younger every year.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: jay-ell on February 07, 2008, 09:18:22 pm
Wait, if you're independent in NC, you can't vote in the primaries? Shit.

You can, but only for one party.  If you vote in a democratic primary, for instance, you can't vote in a republican run-off.  I'm not sure of the procedure, though.  I guess if you show up at your polling place, someone will help you figure it out?  I've never done it (like I said, the NC primary is so late it's never mattered before) but this  (http://projects.newsobserver.com/under_the_dome/north_carolinas_open_primary)is the only link I can find with any information. 
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: jough on February 15, 2008, 03:32:08 am
I voted Obama because the man quite frankly inspires me.  He is a great orator of our time and a very smart man who I believe will help get this country right again and make the rest of the world hate us maybe slightly less.

Fuck Hillary with a stone dick.  If she were choking on a chicken bone I'd pretend my phone was ringing.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Doc on February 15, 2008, 04:46:13 am
I voted Obama because the man quite frankly inspires me.  He is a great orator of our time and a very smart man who I believe will help get this country right again and make the rest of the world hate us maybe slightly less.

Fuck Hillary with a stone dick.  If she were choking on a chicken bone I'd pretend my phone was ringing.

Just for the newbies who are reading through the archives:
This here is how you do a return after not posting for a month.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: wombat on February 21, 2008, 02:31:45 pm
My current position is that I will vote for the candidate who adopts this campaign slogan (http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=574)
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 29, 2008, 06:15:42 pm
I voted Paul

If nominated I will not accept, if elected I will not serve.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 29, 2008, 06:22:43 pm
Leapin' for Obama (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2300624038/)
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Doc on March 01, 2008, 12:17:29 am
As usual Paul, there are just never enough goddamn cans.
That is so awesome.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: wombat on March 01, 2008, 12:38:39 am
I sent this picture to a friend and she said (of Obama) "With that much enthusiasm, he's going to win, isn't he?"

I am beginning to think this is true. Do we have any evidence that McCain or Hillary can make large men float in the air? I think not.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 01, 2008, 02:53:15 am
I really honestly think that there's an element of... the conservative media propping Obama up because they believe that, in the harsh light of day on a secret vote, most of America just ain't gonna be able to vote for a black guy, no matter what he stands for or sounds like.

And... I don't know if they're wrong, y'know.

I hate saying this because, while I like Clinton more, he'd certainly be a better president than McCain by like a million but... I honestly think that there's a lot of people out there banking on squeaking McCain in there because people are a lot more racist when they don't have to answer for it.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Doc on March 01, 2008, 03:28:04 am
I sent this picture to a friend and she said (of Obama) "With that much enthusiasm, he's going to win, isn't he?"

I am beginning to think this is true. Do we have any evidence that McCain or Hillary can make large men float in the air? I think not.

As much as I'd like to hope so, I think the internet can distort the popularity of a given thing.
See also:
Snakes on a Plane,
Serenity,
Ron Paul.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 01, 2008, 04:24:20 am
I would also add to this list:

Masturbating to pictures of childhood cartoon characters with realistic genitals.
Dressing up like a sports mascot and fuck*ng people in similar mascot suits at conventions.
Putting on a rubber suit that makes you look like a gross parody of a Japanese lady.

The internet would make you believe that these are everyday hobbies of Joe and Jane Normalson.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Ben-San on March 01, 2008, 04:27:12 am
Dressing up like a sports mascot and fuck*ng people in similar mascot suits at conventions.

It is my understanding that very little actual fuck*ng goes on at these conventions. Apparently they mostly just dress in the suits and hang out.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 01, 2008, 04:48:04 am
Really? For serious?

Man. I respect these people even less now. I figured... "well, at least they're getting laid"... you know. At least they're doing their thing, as fucked up a thing as it is.

They just dress up as Bugs Bunny when he was dressed up as a girl bunny and... stand around, looking awkwardly at the ground and occasionally complimenting each other on the stitching? Shit.

That takes the idea from "really fucked up but at least they're happy" land all the way to "how could you waste the wonderful gift that is existing more than that?" city.

It is more depressing now.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: jough on March 01, 2008, 04:51:02 am
I love how the Republinazis (yes, I just coined that phrase) keep referring to Obama by all three names, so that they can remind people that his middle name is the last name of that other guy we didn't like in Iraq.  It's so childish.

I hope to God McCain doesn't win, but I fear he will.  I don't really want four more years of Bush politics, just with a leader who's somewhat smarter and a lot better spoken.

There was an Illinois man who won a million dollars in a scratch and win lottery ticket and just reupped to go back to Iraq to fight for a third tour.  Anyone who says this war isn't traumatizing the majority of young people we feed into it can pretty much go fuck themselves.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 01, 2008, 05:17:15 am
McCain is the candidate for infinite war. I dont know how a candidate can win on that platform in this country in this election.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Doc on March 01, 2008, 05:20:06 am
The traditional method is to be clear you intend to be on the winning side of the infinite war. Works with distressing regularity.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: jaydub on March 01, 2008, 05:22:24 am
As I heard the story, he'd signed the re-enlistment papers 3 weeks before he won the money.  Carrying through on the commitment just shows he isn't in the military to put food on the table.  Maybe he just believes in doing what you say you're going to do - or feels that his friends over there will be more likely to survive if he's there with them.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 01, 2008, 05:23:52 am
Hey, if it never ends, you can't lose, right?

Right?

Seriously. Nation of fuckin' rubes.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: wombat on March 01, 2008, 01:56:39 pm
As much as I'd like to hope so, I think the internet can distort the popularity of a given thing.


Yeah, but see, that was a picture of Paul floating in the air in real life, you know? Even if where I saw the picture was on the internet.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Doc on March 01, 2008, 04:02:51 pm
Come now, imaginary people can't take pictures in real life.

As I say, I'd love to see it, but I'll wait to see it too. Ron Paul had a blimp for frack's sake.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Ben-San on March 01, 2008, 05:07:43 pm
They just dress up as Bugs Bunny when he was dressed up as a girl bunny and... stand around, looking awkwardly at the ground and occasionally complimenting each other on the stitching? Shit.

Well.. no, not exactly. They're a bunch of people who know each other from the Internet, and become friends, and occasionally hold big get-togethers where they all hang out with their imaginary friends from the Internet. You may be familiar with the concept. Sometimes they swap merchandise related to the thing they all like, sometimes they talk about their common hobby of making cartoon animal suits or consuming media related to cartoon animals.

Furcons are not really so weird a thing other than how people are dressed. From what I hear from friends involved in that scene, it's basically like any other gathering of nerds except that instead of some of them wearing Star Trek or Thunderbirds uniforms some of them are wearing animal costumes.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: theinevitable on March 01, 2008, 07:23:10 pm
ew, nerds? I hate nerds!

Yesterday a friend asked me if i frequented Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Main_Page) and I won the admiration of my friends by saying "no, I liked Star Trek before the wiki thing. I have 2 different editions of the Encyclopedia, though. I read them cover to cover."
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: AugustWest on March 01, 2008, 07:45:51 pm
Well.. no, not exactly. They're a bunch of people who know each other from the Internet, and become friends, and occasionally hold big get-togethers where they all hang out with their imaginary friends from the Internet. You may be familiar with the concept. Sometimes they swap merchandise related to the thing they all like, sometimes they talk about their common hobby of making cartoon animal suits or consuming media related to cartoon animals.

Furcons are not really so weird a thing other than how people are dressed. From what I hear from friends involved in that scene, it's basically like any other gathering of nerds except that instead of some of them wearing Star Trek or Thunderbirds uniforms some of them are wearing animal costumes.

Ben's a furry!
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Ben-San on March 01, 2008, 08:01:49 pm
Ben's a furry!

Nah, but I'm friends with a fair number of them. I do go to science fiction conventions pretty frequently and it sounds like pretty much the same experience, just with different goofy costumes and different pictures on the T-shirts.

I will amend an earlier statement and say that I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with some people fuck*ng at furcons, just like you end up with some people fuck*ng at science fiction cons. I mean, you put a couple hundred people of both genders, most of them generally socially isolated, in a hotel for a long weekend with people that share their interests and are equally socially isolated, that's gonna happen. It's not the point of the event, though.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 02, 2008, 03:33:50 am
I guess I see science-fiction and comic books as... things that are a hobby that a small sub-set of people within the hobby take to the point of a sexual fetish whereas... the whole furry thing is a sexual fetish at its base that some people also express over and above the fetish, also as a hobby.

I am big on the value of intent, I s'pose.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Ben-San on March 02, 2008, 04:47:37 am
I guess I see science-fiction and comic books as... things that are a hobby that a small sub-set of people within the hobby take to the point of a sexual fetish whereas... the whole furry thing is a sexual fetish at its base that some people also express over and above the fetish, also as a hobby.

I am big on the value of intent, I s'pose.

See, you're not talking about intent so much as origin. Basically, furries have formed a subculture with a life of its own. You have people who are in it exclusively for pictures of dingo ding-dong and you have people who have just finally found a large group of others who want to write and read Road Rovers fanfiction. The porn sort of runs through it in a peculiar way. It's definitely different from science fiction fandom's socialization, which is in turn different from comics fandom's socialization. The whole thing is pretty interesting if you're into dork sociology.

Anyhow, the point is that the intent in the case of a furry con or a science-fiction con is to hang out with a bunch of people who like the same things you do. You have some people who see it as a pickup joint but it's basically just dudes getting together however the whole thing started.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 02, 2008, 06:18:43 am
Quote from: Ben-San
Road Rovers fanfiction.

I don't know what a Road Rover is but... man, now I definitely do not want to know.

And... like... I have been to fan events, definitely, and I have been involved in hardcore fan conventions and... I gotta say, nothing sickened me more than the hook-ups and the drama that ensued from the hook-ups and all the webs of melodramatic nerd hossshit and how utterly important everyone thought it was.

A long time ago, I coined the word "tubfuck*ng" to deride it on a fan site and, God help me, they turned it around into a positive term.

I lost a lot of faith in humanity that day.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Ben-San on March 02, 2008, 01:04:10 pm
Road Rovers is a mid-90s cartoon about superheroes who were anthropomorphic dogs.

And, uh.. I dunno, I don't see why people getting it on at conventions is inherently worthy of derision. Relationship drama is a consequence of relationships and the people involved always think it's important, especially when they're relationships between people who have difficulty extending their social activities outside the circle where the relationship is developing. I mean, basically you made up a word specifically to make fun of what happens when socially inept people try to have sexual relationships with other socially inept people. I don't really think that's Awesome and I'm not surprised the people you were making fun of refused to embrace it wholeheartedly and unironically as you intended it.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 02, 2008, 04:56:11 pm
Because generally and in nearly every single case I ever saw, one of the people involved was either being predatory or completely out of touch with reality about the situation? Not to mention that in the situations I was talking about, it got to the point where the thing that the people were into became entirely ancillary to the meat market for the socially inept that it had become.

Look, it is one thing is a romantic attachment develops organically through that kind of thing, that is fine... mazeltov, common interests, enjoy.

But people going to things like that trolling and I just wanna skinnydip in lysol to get the feeling off, especially when you talk to them and they barely know what the thing they were actually attending was about and had lost interest long ago in the actual... you know... conventions.

I'm just saying, I'm all for destiny and I understand desperation.

But calculation and delusion seemed to be the order of the day and much less time was spent... appreciating the thing they were claiming to be fans of and... a lot more time was spent trying to find an unused bathroom to fuck in because everyone was splitting hotel rooms three or four ways.

I dunno, maybe I had some bad experiences with some particular messed-up people but... shit.

At least people who go to singles bars are honest about what they're up to.
Title: Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
Post by: Golfhaus on March 03, 2008, 12:58:59 am
I think Moby said it best (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hv11q8Ss1V8).