Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Poll

Uh, the same:

Did vote-Clinton
Did vote-Obama
Did vote-McCain
Did vote-Romney
Did vote-other
Didn't vote-Clinton
Didn't vote-Obama
Didn't vote-McCain
Didn't vote-Romney
Didn't vote-other

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?  (Read 11133 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 04:27:12 am »

Dressing up like a sports mascot and fuck*ng people in similar mascot suits at conventions.

It is my understanding that very little actual fuck*ng goes on at these conventions. Apparently they mostly just dress in the suits and hang out.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 04:48:04 am »

Really? For serious?

Man. I respect these people even less now. I figured... "well, at least they're getting laid"... you know. At least they're doing their thing, as fucked up a thing as it is.

They just dress up as Bugs Bunny when he was dressed up as a girl bunny and... stand around, looking awkwardly at the ground and occasionally complimenting each other on the stitching? Shit.

That takes the idea from "really fucked up but at least they're happy" land all the way to "how could you waste the wonderful gift that is existing more than that?" city.

It is more depressing now.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 04:51:02 am »

I love how the Republinazis (yes, I just coined that phrase) keep referring to Obama by all three names, so that they can remind people that his middle name is the last name of that other guy we didn't like in Iraq.  It's so childish.

I hope to God McCain doesn't win, but I fear he will.  I don't really want four more years of Bush politics, just with a leader who's somewhat smarter and a lot better spoken.

There was an Illinois man who won a million dollars in a scratch and win lottery ticket and just reupped to go back to Iraq to fight for a third tour.  Anyone who says this war isn't traumatizing the majority of young people we feed into it can pretty much go fuck themselves.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 05:17:15 am »

McCain is the candidate for infinite war. I dont know how a candidate can win on that platform in this country in this election.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 05:20:06 am »

The traditional method is to be clear you intend to be on the winning side of the infinite war. Works with distressing regularity.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 05:22:24 am »

As I heard the story, he'd signed the re-enlistment papers 3 weeks before he won the money.  Carrying through on the commitment just shows he isn't in the military to put food on the table.  Maybe he just believes in doing what you say you're going to do - or feels that his friends over there will be more likely to survive if he's there with them.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 05:23:52 am »

Hey, if it never ends, you can't lose, right?

Right?

Seriously. Nation of fuckin' rubes.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 01:56:39 pm »

As much as I'd like to hope so, I think the internet can distort the popularity of a given thing.


Yeah, but see, that was a picture of Paul floating in the air in real life, you know? Even if where I saw the picture was on the internet.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 04:02:51 pm »

Come now, imaginary people can't take pictures in real life.

As I say, I'd love to see it, but I'll wait to see it too. Ron Paul had a blimp for frack's sake.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 05:07:43 pm »

They just dress up as Bugs Bunny when he was dressed up as a girl bunny and... stand around, looking awkwardly at the ground and occasionally complimenting each other on the stitching? Shit.

Well.. no, not exactly. They're a bunch of people who know each other from the Internet, and become friends, and occasionally hold big get-togethers where they all hang out with their imaginary friends from the Internet. You may be familiar with the concept. Sometimes they swap merchandise related to the thing they all like, sometimes they talk about their common hobby of making cartoon animal suits or consuming media related to cartoon animals.

Furcons are not really so weird a thing other than how people are dressed. From what I hear from friends involved in that scene, it's basically like any other gathering of nerds except that instead of some of them wearing Star Trek or Thunderbirds uniforms some of them are wearing animal costumes.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2008, 07:23:10 pm »

ew, nerds? I hate nerds!

Yesterday a friend asked me if i frequented Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki and I won the admiration of my friends by saying "no, I liked Star Trek before the wiki thing. I have 2 different editions of the Encyclopedia, though. I read them cover to cover."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 07:45:51 pm »

Well.. no, not exactly. They're a bunch of people who know each other from the Internet, and become friends, and occasionally hold big get-togethers where they all hang out with their imaginary friends from the Internet. You may be familiar with the concept. Sometimes they swap merchandise related to the thing they all like, sometimes they talk about their common hobby of making cartoon animal suits or consuming media related to cartoon animals.

Furcons are not really so weird a thing other than how people are dressed. From what I hear from friends involved in that scene, it's basically like any other gathering of nerds except that instead of some of them wearing Star Trek or Thunderbirds uniforms some of them are wearing animal costumes.

Ben's a furry!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2008, 08:01:49 pm »

Ben's a furry!

Nah, but I'm friends with a fair number of them. I do go to science fiction conventions pretty frequently and it sounds like pretty much the same experience, just with different goofy costumes and different pictures on the T-shirts.

I will amend an earlier statement and say that I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with some people fuck*ng at furcons, just like you end up with some people fuck*ng at science fiction cons. I mean, you put a couple hundred people of both genders, most of them generally socially isolated, in a hotel for a long weekend with people that share their interests and are equally socially isolated, that's gonna happen. It's not the point of the event, though.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2008, 03:33:50 am »

I guess I see science-fiction and comic books as... things that are a hobby that a small sub-set of people within the hobby take to the point of a sexual fetish whereas... the whole furry thing is a sexual fetish at its base that some people also express over and above the fetish, also as a hobby.

I am big on the value of intent, I s'pose.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Did you vote? Who did you vote for/want to win?
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2008, 04:47:37 am »

I guess I see science-fiction and comic books as... things that are a hobby that a small sub-set of people within the hobby take to the point of a sexual fetish whereas... the whole furry thing is a sexual fetish at its base that some people also express over and above the fetish, also as a hobby.

I am big on the value of intent, I s'pose.

See, you're not talking about intent so much as origin. Basically, furries have formed a subculture with a life of its own. You have people who are in it exclusively for pictures of dingo ding-dong and you have people who have just finally found a large group of others who want to write and read Road Rovers fanfiction. The porn sort of runs through it in a peculiar way. It's definitely different from science fiction fandom's socialization, which is in turn different from comics fandom's socialization. The whole thing is pretty interesting if you're into dork sociology.

Anyhow, the point is that the intent in the case of a furry con or a science-fiction con is to hang out with a bunch of people who like the same things you do. You have some people who see it as a pickup joint but it's basically just dudes getting together however the whole thing started.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up