The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: gchedzhemov on February 17, 2008, 10:45:57 pm

Title: ...
Post by: gchedzhemov on February 17, 2008, 10:45:57 pm
...
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: wombat on February 17, 2008, 10:55:12 pm
Perhaps what's wrong with my life is that I don't spend enough time stacking tightly-rolled camp towels.

At least I never have to apologize to the drapes, though. We don't have any drapes.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 17, 2008, 11:04:47 pm
Also an acceptable thread title: 'GLARRRGH!'
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: Doc on February 17, 2008, 11:25:46 pm
Primary character: Ray

Good to see Onstad owns his inability to maintain a big cast.

MORE TALKING DRAPES!
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: V-Adore on February 18, 2008, 12:58:39 am
Personally, I'm most intrigued by Steak Day.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: jough on February 18, 2008, 01:01:35 am
I fuck*ng KNEW it.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: Doc on February 18, 2008, 01:03:43 am
Personally, I'm most intrigued by Steak Day.

It's like Pizza day, but Ray rolls higher class than that.
He doesn't specify but I'm willing to bet it's Kobe Steak Day.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on February 18, 2008, 01:54:23 am
Achewood has gone meta, and I like it.

I also like Steak Day.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: jaydub on February 18, 2008, 04:35:30 am
The day Cathy Guisewhite pens a strip with Irving's tubesteak flopping out of his gym shorts like Roast Beef's skateboarding scene is the day I'll acknowledge the Rapture has arrived.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 18, 2008, 04:53:25 am
The idea of how Cathy G would render genitals graphically is funnier than all Cathy strips, ever, all put together and times twelve.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 18, 2008, 04:55:24 am
Im pretty sure this is how every "romance" novel is written.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: LCB on February 18, 2008, 12:15:02 pm
Well, isn't Onstad just being all Mr. Sassy with this strip?
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 18, 2008, 03:20:13 pm
The idea of how Cathy G would render genitals graphically is funnier than all Cathy strips, ever, all put together and times twelve.

This makes me wonder if there's Cathy porn out there.

And now that I have imagined it, it must exist.  I really don't want to look.  ACK!
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: colmore on February 18, 2008, 03:58:16 pm
Feeling depressed about your job today, Chris.  It's OK.  Everything is meaningless anyway.  Embrace it as freedom.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: hammish on February 18, 2008, 09:25:51 pm
Is it bad that I enjoyed Cathy when I was in grade school? It was right up there with Bloom County for me. Granted I was 11 and I didn't grasp most of what either strip contained... This is something about myself that has gone relatively unexamined.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on February 18, 2008, 09:38:35 pm
Is it bad that I enjoyed Cathy when I was in grade school? It was right up there with Bloom County for me. Granted I was 11 and I didn't grasp most of what either strip contained... This is something about myself that has gone relatively unexamined.

Don't worry Hammish. The world will always need people who buy magazines about car stereos (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02072005).
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: colmore on February 19, 2008, 12:16:27 am
Garfield was one of my favorite cartoons as a first or second grader.  I justify this by 1) it was the 80s.  2) it was more varied and there were more characters and settings back then and 3) it is a very well drawn strip -- perhaps well xeroxed at points, but it's got appealing disney-esque classic cartooning chops.

Maybe Garfield is a metacartoon.  Extolling the virtues of being fat, lazy, and phoning it in, while being fat, lazy, and phoning it in.  I wouldn't be surprised if they started running "classic" Garfields on Mondays soon.  Would anyone care?
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: V-Adore on February 19, 2008, 12:20:31 am
I also liked Garfield when I was very small, but I justified it by the fact that I was very small.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: theinevitable on February 19, 2008, 12:54:41 am
Quote
I also liked Garfield when I was very small, but I justified it by the fact that I was very small.

Even then, though, you knew it was wrong.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: AugustWest on February 19, 2008, 01:20:39 am
I wouldn't be surprised if they started running "classic" Garfields on Mondays soon.  Would anyone care?

Would anyone know?
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: V-Adore on February 19, 2008, 01:52:16 am
Even then, though, you knew it was wrong.
By the time I was eight or nine, yeah, but before then I swear I was innocent!

Guilty confession: somewhere in this house is a lunchbox full of plastic Garfield figurines. (One of them is held together with a bandaid, emergency surgery following a tragic lawnmower accident.)
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: wombat on February 19, 2008, 02:34:07 am
Now that you mention it, I am pretty sure I once owned a stuffed Garfield when I was a lot older than eight or nine.

Now instead I have a stuffed Joanna, Jeff Rowland's alcoholic zombie cat. I guess that means I'm all grown up?
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 19, 2008, 02:59:40 am
The thing with Garfield is this:

The source material is bad... but some of the specials were quite rad and the Saturday Morning Cartoon was solid by the standards of Saturday morning fare.

So I have good memories of the Garf even though every time I read it in the paper, it's awful.

It is a strange mental contradiction but there we are.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: Doc on February 19, 2008, 04:41:51 am
My housemate has a disturbingly large collection of Garfield plush toys and collections. They're not displayed prominently in his room or anything, I just know there's a fairly large box in his cupboard and it's full to the brim. His taste is reasonable in most other matters, so I have to chalk this one up to blind nostalgia.

Re-runs of Garfield on mondays is such a fuck*ng perfect idea though.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: Dangermoose on February 19, 2008, 06:51:59 pm
Garfield was one of my favorite cartoons as a first or second grader.  I justify this by 1) it was the 80s.  2) it was more varied and there were more characters and settings back then and 3) it is a very well drawn strip -- perhaps well xeroxed at points, but it's got appealing disney-esque classic cartooning chops.

Kids who like Garfield grow up to like Achewood.

Adults who like Garfield belong under a bus.

This is how my Daddy explained things to me, many years ago.

Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: jay-ell on February 19, 2008, 09:38:27 pm
OK people, start making your own fakewoods.

Man, I miss the days when we all had time to do that kind of thing. 

Hey!  College kids!  Get out your photoshops and paintshops pro and amuse the rest of us old folks! 

You can study later. 
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: lprkn on February 19, 2008, 10:47:13 pm
Man, I miss the days when we all had time to do that kind of thing. 

Hey!  College kids!  Get out your photoshops and paintshops pro and amuse the rest of us old folks! 

You can study later. 

My 19-credit courseload precludes me from such frivolity, thank you. Hitting 'refresh' on TOUAMB multiple times throughout the day is an acceptable waste of time, however. My brain does need some frivolity, after all.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: V-Adore on February 20, 2008, 01:45:08 am
At OSU, I briefly had a roommate who was taking about a 25-hour schedule as a pre-vet. She moved out after about two weeks, and the weeks I knew her, I mostly saw her drinking. Bad Timez.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 20, 2008, 03:36:46 am
See, my favourite thing about college was the semesters where I was able to take as few credit hours as you possibly could while still counting as full-time.

It... explains my life, basically.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: lprkn on February 20, 2008, 04:11:05 am
I can be crazy sometimes, but not 25 credits crazy. I have had issues with grades in the past, issues that I am dealing with, but let's just say that my cumulative is not quite exemplary at this point.

Also, did the credit waiver form say:
Quote
Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye...

All hope abandon ye who enter here.

...because it should have.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: theinevitable on February 20, 2008, 04:18:56 am
yeah, um, I am focusing on trying to do well with 15 credits. It is completely within my grasp if I get off my ass and do my work on time. I would take Infinity Credits if I could get away with it, but I  would be scared, considering how lazy I am about the classes I'm in, even as much as I like them. At the same time... there are so many goddamn classes I want to take. Right now I basically want to take all classes for my major next semester, which is a bad idea maybe, but... I could do like... logic, philosophy of science, experimental psychology, a cool anthro class, and biological psychology? Sounds plenty varied for me... except that I also want to take computer science, film, jazz history... basically everything that has ever been cool.

Right now I'm just basically Enraged at Past Dan for not meeting with my major advisor before picking my classes this semester. Some of these classes are some major bullshit.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: Doc on February 20, 2008, 11:58:02 am
When I did my BSci my 16 units a semester was at least four full days a week and usually five. The Lady just started business management and has 2 full days a week (for her first semester at least).
I understand there's a big difference when you have a large hands on practical component vs a large assignment component that doesn't require contact time but... damn if I don't sometimes I figure I could knock one of those degrees over in about a year and a half.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: jay-ell on February 20, 2008, 03:38:43 pm
Most I ever took was 20, because I was afraid of the paperwork involved in getting the waiver through. 

Fewest hours I ever took was 17, unless you count summer sessions of course. 

This -- and hell of AP credits -- is why I finished a BA in History in three years. 

Well, that and insanity. 
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: theinevitable on February 20, 2008, 03:49:18 pm
Quote
When I did my BSci my 16 units a semester was at least four full days a week and usually five. The Lady just started business management and has 2 full days a week (for her first semester at least).
I understand there's a big difference when you have a large hands on practical component vs a large assignment component that doesn't require contact time but... damn if I don't sometimes I figure I could knock one of those degrees over in about a year and a half.

We have a line here about... I mean, not that I endorse this kind of saying or behavior... but what we say is...

"B-School is Pre-School."
My old roommate has a schedule where I think he has 1 class on thursday, no classes before noon, and no classes on friday.

statistically, they get laid many times more than any of the rest of us. Especially more than the engineering students.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: jaydub on February 20, 2008, 04:03:01 pm
statistically, they get laid many times more than any of the rest of us. Especially more than the engineering students.
My school only had one engineering degree program (Environmental - a special focus of Civil, apparently) but it had the ridiculous unit requirements characteristic of such programs - even to the point where they got to waive some of the General Education requirements that California usually requires of its graduates.  The E students still got tail though;  usually with one another and furtively done in the stacks during off-hours.
Title: Re: Feb. 18, 2008 - Understanding Maniacs, by H. Norton Shales
Post by: Doc on February 20, 2008, 11:33:40 pm
Well, that and insanity. 
I'm going to guess mainly this.

"B-School is Pre-School."
My old roommate has a schedule where I think he has 1 class on thursday, no classes before noon, and no classes on friday.

statistically, they get laid many times more than any of the rest of us. Especially more than the engineering students.
But without the geekier degrees we wouldn't know for sure that their getting laid was statistically significant. The great circle of life continues.
I like that the B-School line though, I'm going to have to remember to use it on my brother sometime (another business students who apparently majors in clubbing and buying 200 dollar shirts).