The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: lprkn on March 19, 2008, 12:38:03 pm

Title: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: lprkn on March 19, 2008, 12:38:03 pm
He said that he wanted to be remembered as a writer, even though he had done many other things. I don't think that'll be a problem.

I did read the whole "Space Odyssey" series, but damned if I don't remember any of them but the first.
Title: Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: wombat on March 19, 2008, 12:45:20 pm
What was that TV show he did? On PBS or something. Some kind of mythbusters thing but without explosions? When he was pretty old already. And there were clips of him standing around narrating in Sri Lanka.

Ah - Mysterious World. Very unmemorable name. Thank you, YouTube. Also, there is a group called The Aardvarks who wrote a song about him.
Title: Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: Doc on March 19, 2008, 01:25:09 pm
I didn't even know he was still alive.

To be honest I've never done more than thumb through his stuff, I was more of an Asimov kind of guy but it's always a sham when we lose someone so creative.
Title: Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 19, 2008, 02:28:47 pm
it's always a sham when we lose someone so creative.

You mean he's faking it?
Title: Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: AugustWest on March 19, 2008, 03:09:45 pm
I liked Clarke, he had some wonderful ideas (geosynchronous satellites, anyone?), but like so many SF writers of his era he was a pretty poor stylist.  I picked up 3001 not long ago and while it had some neat stuff in the prose was nothing to write home about.

Anyway,  it's a loss.  But he was over 90 and lived a long, full life.  At least he didn't go nuts at the end like Heinlein.
Title: Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2008, 04:46:00 pm
Quote
nuts at the end like Heinlen

Just at the end? When I read Starship Troopers, I spent a lot of time telling people they should read this awesome satire of Fascism and blind jingoism that Heinlen wrote.

Then, later, I found out that he was ENTIRELY SERIOUS.
Title: Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 19, 2008, 04:47:01 pm
who the hell is this guy?
Title: Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: melack on March 19, 2008, 05:06:30 pm
Whenever I see the name "Sir Arthur C--" I just laze out and assume it's Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. But I guess it's not! It's actually Sir Arthur C. Clarke. I'm not terribly familiar with his work, but I will pour a 40 oz malt liquor -- of the mind! -- on the ground for him just the same.
Title: Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: jay-ell on March 19, 2008, 05:34:57 pm
The geek gods are calling forth their own.  It's the geek rapture. 

Woe betide those who are left behind, with no sci-fi to read except...Left Behind
Title: Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: jaydub on March 19, 2008, 08:23:50 pm
The geek gods are calling forth their own.  It's the geek rapture. 

Woe betide those who are left behind, with no sci-fi to read except...Left Behind
Fie, woman.
Title: Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
Post by: Doc on March 19, 2008, 11:50:22 pm
You mean he's faking it?

Arthur C. Clarke was Andy Kaufman.
Pass it on.