Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead  (Read 3147 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:38:03 pm »

He said that he wanted to be remembered as a writer, even though he had done many other things. I don't think that'll be a problem.

I did read the whole "Space Odyssey" series, but damned if I don't remember any of them but the first.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:45:20 pm »

What was that TV show he did? On PBS or something. Some kind of mythbusters thing but without explosions? When he was pretty old already. And there were clips of him standing around narrating in Sri Lanka.

Ah - Mysterious World. Very unmemorable name. Thank you, YouTube. Also, there is a group called The Aardvarks who wrote a song about him.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:25:09 pm »

I didn't even know he was still alive.

To be honest I've never done more than thumb through his stuff, I was more of an Asimov kind of guy but it's always a sham when we lose someone so creative.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 02:28:47 pm »

it's always a sham when we lose someone so creative.

You mean he's faking it?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 03:09:45 pm »

I liked Clarke, he had some wonderful ideas (geosynchronous satellites, anyone?), but like so many SF writers of his era he was a pretty poor stylist.  I picked up 3001 not long ago and while it had some neat stuff in the prose was nothing to write home about.

Anyway,  it's a loss.  But he was over 90 and lived a long, full life.  At least he didn't go nuts at the end like Heinlein.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

Quote
nuts at the end like Heinlen

Just at the end? When I read Starship Troopers, I spent a lot of time telling people they should read this awesome satire of Fascism and blind jingoism that Heinlen wrote.

Then, later, I found out that he was ENTIRELY SERIOUS.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:47:01 pm »

who the hell is this guy?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 05:06:30 pm »

Whenever I see the name "Sir Arthur C--" I just laze out and assume it's Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. But I guess it's not! It's actually Sir Arthur C. Clarke. I'm not terribly familiar with his work, but I will pour a 40 oz malt liquor -- of the mind! -- on the ground for him just the same.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 05:34:57 pm »

The geek gods are calling forth their own.  It's the geek rapture. 

Woe betide those who are left behind, with no sci-fi to read except...Left Behind
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:23:50 pm »

The geek gods are calling forth their own.  It's the geek rapture. 

Woe betide those who are left behind, with no sci-fi to read except...Left Behind
Fie, woman.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Arthur C. Clarke is dead
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 11:50:22 pm »

You mean he's faking it?

Arthur C. Clarke was Andy Kaufman.
Pass it on.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1]   Go Up