The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MrCB on April 06, 2008, 10:34:31 am

Title: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: MrCB on April 06, 2008, 10:34:31 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04042008 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04042008)

OK, really now, the computer is getting a bit old. Enough already.

I do like the idea of Cornelius conversing with a finch though.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: CortJstr on April 06, 2008, 02:41:16 pm
Today I learned that finches natural enemies include owls and quick dogs. Especially when said birds are lost in a good book.

Education.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: oball on April 06, 2008, 03:20:51 pm
I actually laughed at this one, unlike the previous three.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: theinevitable on April 06, 2008, 04:53:33 pm
yeah, um. no laughs.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: Ben-San on April 06, 2008, 06:35:31 pm
This is all just setup for the revelation that Shrovis-Bishopthorpe is headquartered in New Jersey.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 06, 2008, 08:30:08 pm
Yeah, I definitely am no getting anything out of this particular nugget of gratis entertainment.

Maybe someone with a deep Anglophilia would? I dunno. I like England just fine, many interesting things and people have come from there but... there are Americans who make a deep fetish of it and I'm not one of them.

I reckon those people are the ones who keep shitty old British sitcoms on PBS rerun blocks under the idea that since they're British, they must be good when... no... they're bad sitcoms of roughly the same badness of our own, except with actors that look like human beings instead of aliens from the planet Plastic.

The Young Ones and Monty Python, for example, are great.

The show about all the excitable assholes who work in British Macys twenty-five years ago or the one where Judi Dench lives in the country and is married to an ugly man for some reason? Not so much.

This little run definitely correlates with the latter and not the former.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: Noah on April 06, 2008, 08:36:57 pm
remember how bad the "wee britain" story arc was in arrested development?
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 06, 2008, 08:50:32 pm
Well... yes.

However, the ending with the walking on water and "that's... not my trick" ...beat... "that's my ILLUSION!"?

One of the best endings in television history... so it made up for itself. If this story arc can end with the best "Being There" reference ever, all would be forgiven.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: Golfhaus on April 06, 2008, 09:10:39 pm
The show about all the excitable assholes who work in British Macys twenty-five years ago

I dunno, dude. I love Are You Being Served? The spinoff, Are You Being Served... Again?, on the other hand, blew goats.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2008, 09:28:07 pm
Jeez, why's everyone so cranky this weekend. I liked this. I was pleased to see it.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: Hambone on April 06, 2008, 09:31:46 pm
remember how bad the "wee britain" story arc was in arrested development?
For reasons that had nothing to do with the "Wee Britain" premise itself and everything to do with a) the stupid Michael-doesn't-realize-this-girl-is-retarded storyline, b) the fact that said stupid storyline was carried on way too long, and c) Charlize Theron's complete inability to play comic roles/general lack of charisma? 

Yes, I remember that. 

As for this arc, I think it's turning a corner... I liked the first one, enjoyed the next two in a lukewarm kind of way, and now... well, this one is better.  I don't know why, but I think something's emerging beyond the repetitive British jokes. 

Of course, that means the arc is probably over.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: oball on April 07, 2008, 12:32:50 am
I just think the whole "Oh, I say old chap, isn't this rather British?" schtick is lazy humour.  The only bit I laughed at in the entire arc was the "owls and quick dogs" line.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: Choop on April 07, 2008, 01:03:25 am
you realize that complaining about it makes him do more of them right



PERSONALLY I LOVE THIS BRITISH COMPUTER STORYLINE AND DO NOT WISH IT TO END
SPIN IT OFF INTO A NEW STRIP ONSTAD
WITH TEE SHIRTS OF ITS OWN AND THE LIKE
THE FINCH CAN COOK RIGHT
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: spiral on April 07, 2008, 12:25:34 pm
I'm enjoying it but then I'm English, and it's fun trying to figure out what all these stereotypes mean.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: herofix on April 07, 2008, 03:55:55 pm
I was just impressed that anyone outside of Britain knew about Al Murray: Pub Landlord.  That alone was worth a snicker.  Then again, maybe he just searched for 'publican' on Google Images.  Then again, maybe he came across him on his trip to Britain.  Then again, maybe Al Murray is more well-known outside of Britain than I thought.

Then again...
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: colmore on April 07, 2008, 04:43:08 pm
I think it's a pretty funny take on the way current operating systems try to be conversational with errors and help messages, and just wind up being more useless for it.

Also I imagine England as being forever stuck in the 19th century, still thinking that the world is theirs at gunpoint.  These strips kind of tickle that.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: lprkn on April 07, 2008, 07:45:03 pm
I thought that the British condition resulted from no longer holding the world at gunpoiunt.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: jay-ell on April 09, 2008, 04:20:10 pm
I think that The British Condition would be an excellent euphemism for erectile dysfunction. 

Or possibly a punk band. 
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: colmore on April 10, 2008, 03:00:23 am
Or a 60s garage rock act.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: theinevitable on April 10, 2008, 05:22:24 am
Quote
I think that The British Condition would be an excellent euphemism for erectile dysfunction.

Or possibly a punk band.

No, see, it has to be both.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: Doc on April 10, 2008, 05:44:10 am
I thought the british condition was the act of being in a punk band.
Title: Re: April 5th 2008 - What really climbs my prick
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 10, 2008, 05:47:41 am
No no no, the British condition is of having been in a punk band twenty-five years ago.

Being in a punk band now is called "The Orange County Condition".