The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jough on November 03, 2003, 04:07:34 am

Title: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: jough on November 03, 2003, 04:07:34 am
Based on some recent discussion, I decided to check out some DCFC songs.

So far I guess I'm not totally impressed.  They're like a cross between Travis and James.  And other bands with a man's first name as the band name.

I've only heard about six of their songs, though.  They're all in the same key, with interchangable melody lines, and I can't really tell them apart.  I even had to check to make sure I wasn't listening to the same song again on two occasions.

Hrm.

It's nice background music, but not compelling enough so far to warrant a CD purchase.

Are there any particular tracks that I should listen to before dismissing them as "forever following in the footsteps bland nothings"?
Title: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: Choop on November 03, 2003, 04:42:13 am
Before you dismiss DCFC, get some of The Postal Service. You'll see where the frontman is trying to go, and where the bandmembers hold him back.

I promise. Though I both respect and despise you, I will never lead you wrong on entertainment (culinary nor ethereal), I promise.
Title: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: jough on November 03, 2003, 06:28:05 am
So the Postal Service is another band but with the same front man?

Any particular PS albums/songs I should hear?
Title: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: Mite on November 03, 2003, 11:22:04 am
As far as I know, there's only one Postal Service album, and it rocks. Sometime when it's not the ass-crack of dawn I'll see if I can dig out some track names for you.

Yeah, DCFC does sound pretty interchangeable at first. The only album I have is We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes, and it was one of those records that I bought and listened to once and then didn't touch for about 4 months. When I came back to it, I was hooked.
Title: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: jough on November 03, 2003, 04:13:32 pm
I've, um, acquired some Postal Service songs, all from the album "Give Up," which is like 4 1/2 kinds of awesome.  They're like Blur meets early New Order (yes, when you get to be an old man like me you start to see new bands as hybrid children of other bands).  

I've already placed an order for the CD.  Sweet action.
Title: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: Choop on November 03, 2003, 06:40:52 pm
Yes, you must buy that CD. I can't even pick a favorite because it's all so feckin' good.

I've really gotta get more DCFC on mp3. I just missed them playing in town. Damn. (Mite, you're in ATL, aren't you? I missed the show at Variety because I am broke and stupid.)
Title: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: Mite on November 03, 2003, 07:06:48 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Mite, you're in ATL, aren't you? I missed the show at Variety because I am broke and stupid.

Yep. Now I'm trying to decide if I care enough to go see Guided By Voices there on a school night.
Title: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: blim8183 on November 14, 2003, 08:49:05 pm
Death Cab for Cutie is one of my favorite bands ever.

Check out the new album, especially the song "Tiny Vessels" before you dismiss them. The Postal Service is great too but DCFC is better. They took me awhile to get used to as well...
Title: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: FeeReep on November 20, 2003, 12:20:23 pm
Has anyone picked up Transatlanticism yet? I have it on order with Amazon and I'm the kind of person who likes to sully my initial take with the opinions of others. Kinda like listening to a DVD commentary track to a movie you've never seen before.
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: jough on March 03, 2006, 07:35:50 am
Okay, so I never really did listen to any Death Cab for Cutie, but then I was spamming MySpace earlier and this really cute girl's homepage song (god, they all have fuck*ng songs playing...) was "Soul Meets Body" which I think they played on SNL a few weeks back, because it was familiar.

Anyway, now I've got the damn thing on repeat on my nano. 
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: rumpy doppelganger on March 03, 2006, 08:00:41 am
i liked dntel's "(this is) the dream of evan and chan" when life is full of possibilities came out (the song collaboration from which the postal service was born - check it out) but since then everything gibbard-related makes me phlegmy

so let's just steer this thread toward the BONZO DOG BAND

(http://www.neilinnes.org/galleri/allsix.jpg)
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: theinevitable on March 03, 2006, 12:07:29 pm
all the cute girls like that band now.
I can say, though, that my cute girl liked them before it was cool to like them.


but I am sad, because she was wearing a DCFC shirt the day I met her. And now she gave that shirt to my younger brother.

but yeah, um, I don't remember the name of the song, but V-Adore but a dfcc song on the mix. it was pretty good.

also: my younger brother enjoyed transatlanticism, but I think he likes the other ones more.
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: AugustWest on March 03, 2006, 02:14:17 pm
It is wrong to resurrect these zombie threads.

Do you know why?

Because I thought Mite was back and am now disappointed.
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: pmcd9 on March 03, 2006, 02:43:20 pm
Death Cab for Cutie ain't got a bass player so fuck 'em.

Also, echoes of disapointment that mite is no longer a regular.

~Paul
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: antioch on March 03, 2006, 04:08:45 pm
Death Cab for Cutie ain't got a bass player so fuck 'em.

 You like bass? How about only bass? It ain't a rick, but this April Fools day (http://www.superhappyfunland.com/super_happy_calendar.htm) is my treat. 500 Watts of high speed laser vomit.

 Has anyone heard the band Why? ? They remind me of a little of DCFS in vocals and melody, but they're denser so I like them more.

edit: Curses, I have much training before I become a ninja sheriff (gold shuriken used as badge, etc).
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 03, 2006, 06:07:20 pm
It is wrong to resurrect these zombie threads.

Do you know why?

Because I thought Mite was back and am now disappointed.

This is why I go through and lock threads that go six months without a response. I was reading that and going 'Hey! Mite! and Choop!" but it was just a dead thread looking for brains to eat.

Boo to that.  Mods, put a bullet behind the ear of old dead threads.

Do it for the children
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: pmcd9 on March 03, 2006, 06:15:08 pm
We talked about this (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2349.msg49965.html#msg49965).

~Paul
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: AlohaDawg on March 03, 2006, 06:38:02 pm
If it's worth talking about, people would talk about it. If it's worth talking about again, start a new thread.

11/20/03 to 3/4/06 is kind of a long time to pick up on a thought. If you have something <that> revolutionary to say on a topic, it probably deserves a new thread. If it's just more drop-in comments coming two years late, what's the point?

If you have something really interesting to contribute to a locked thread, just PM a Mod and ask them to re-open it. I don't think anyone here would refuse to do that.
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: Emmoh on March 03, 2006, 06:58:23 pm
I'm glad this thread came back. I was even more n00by then, and I did not want to offend people and lose metaphorical tiny cans of Dr. Pepper (metaphorical, as they weren't there yet) when I revealed that I didn't much care for DCFC. I've always been more inclined towards the likes of Appleseed Cast and Waxwing for my oversensitive pretty guitar rock.

However, I did happen to catch half of Death Cab's set at Lollapalooza this past summer, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. The material came off genuine, and much more engaging. Also helping their case, I think, anyway, is that they are not good looking dudes. For some reason, there's something much more believable hearing those kind of lyrics coming from balding dudes of gravity as opposed to pretty boy multimillionaires like Carraba (who had played the day previous.)
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: Emmoh on March 03, 2006, 07:00:45 pm
You like bass? How about only bass? It ain't a rick, but this April Fools day (http://www.superhappyfunland.com/super_happy_calendar.htm) is my treat. 500 Watts of high speed laser vomit.

Gratuitious plug for my doggs in Bearclaw. (http://www.myspace.com/bearclaw)
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: CortJstr on March 03, 2006, 08:20:38 pm
Huh. I saw Appleseed Cast on a mix CD listing and just asumed it was from an anime soundtrack (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401233/), not an actual band.
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: V-Adore on March 04, 2006, 04:38:24 am
I'm not sure whether I like DCFC all the way, but "We Looked Like Giants" is basically like treasure. It is love.
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: jough on March 04, 2006, 05:16:28 am
If it's worth talking about, people would talk about it. If it's worth talking about again, start a new thread.

It's always better to post to the old thread, especially since the old topic wasn't exactly discussed to death.
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2006, 06:41:29 am
If it's worth talking about, people would talk about it. If it's worth talking about again, start a new thread.

It's always better to post to the old thread, especially since the old topic wasn't exactly discussed to death.

Gods Own Dick said it, I believe it, that settles it.

~Paul
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 06, 2006, 02:38:33 pm
I'm not sure whether I like DCFC all the way, but "We Looked Like Giants" is basically like treasure. It is love.

Oh, no way.  That's the song where he actually uses the line "We learned how our bodies worked."  barf

The first four or so tracks on that album are good, though.
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: V-Adore on March 06, 2006, 02:47:36 pm
Oh, no way.  That's the song where he actually uses the line "We learned how our bodies worked."  barf

PRETENTIOUSNESS MODE: ON

I think it's a matter of ethos, myself. The ethos I've always read off of DCFC, and especially that song, is this sort of "clueless adolescent grown regretful" thing: not the brightest narrator ever, nor the most articulate, but self-reflective. "We learned how our bodies worked" is exactly the sort of phraseology you would expect from someone who is not entirely not a doofus reflecting on his more-doofusish adolescence and the fallout thereof. This is why I used it on my mixtape about a stumbling man-child trying to deal with grief and culpability following his girlfriend's suicide.

PRETENTIOUSNESS MODE: OFF FOR NOW
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: jough on March 06, 2006, 04:50:05 pm
Yeah, I like some of the DCFC songs, but their lyrics are pretty banal.

If the silence takes you then I hope it takes me too. (ooh, shudder!)

soaring through my atmostphere (chortle)

I think the songs aren't horrible since rock lyrics are rarely literate anyway, but they're not exactly impressive in the lyric department.
Title: Re: Death Cab for Cutie
Post by: starlight on March 07, 2006, 10:05:26 pm
Hm... whenever I see mention of Death Cab, I automatically just recommend the b-sides/rarities album (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006L3PW/sr=8-6/qid=1141768904/ref=pd_bbs_6/104-6849018-3797559?%5Fencoding=UTF8) which is the only one I own.. they do a cover of The Smiths 'This Charming Man' and all the b-sides are much easier to swallow.... it does just cover the earliest album though, I think, so perhaps they were just all around better.

'Soul Meets Body' my mom made me include on one past yoga mix, but I can say that one got cheesy.. heh.

I also like the Postal Service album, but after like 50 listens, I haven't been back since.. I may bring it out again sometime when I forget I got tired of it.