Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Cab for Cutie  (Read 6178 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Death Cab for Cutie
« on: November 03, 2003, 04:07:34 am »

Based on some recent discussion, I decided to check out some DCFC songs.

So far I guess I'm not totally impressed.  They're like a cross between Travis and James.  And other bands with a man's first name as the band name.

I've only heard about six of their songs, though.  They're all in the same key, with interchangable melody lines, and I can't really tell them apart.  I even had to check to make sure I wasn't listening to the same song again on two occasions.

Hrm.

It's nice background music, but not compelling enough so far to warrant a CD purchase.

Are there any particular tracks that I should listen to before dismissing them as "forever following in the footsteps bland nothings"?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 04:42:13 am »

Before you dismiss DCFC, get some of The Postal Service. You'll see where the frontman is trying to go, and where the bandmembers hold him back.

I promise. Though I both respect and despise you, I will never lead you wrong on entertainment (culinary nor ethereal), I promise.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 06:28:05 am »

So the Postal Service is another band but with the same front man?

Any particular PS albums/songs I should hear?

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 11:22:04 am »

As far as I know, there's only one Postal Service album, and it rocks. Sometime when it's not the ass-crack of dawn I'll see if I can dig out some track names for you.

Yeah, DCFC does sound pretty interchangeable at first. The only album I have is We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes, and it was one of those records that I bought and listened to once and then didn't touch for about 4 months. When I came back to it, I was hooked.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 04:13:32 pm »

I've, um, acquired some Postal Service songs, all from the album "Give Up," which is like 4 1/2 kinds of awesome.  They're like Blur meets early New Order (yes, when you get to be an old man like me you start to see new bands as hybrid children of other bands).  

I've already placed an order for the CD.  Sweet action.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 06:40:52 pm »

Yes, you must buy that CD. I can't even pick a favorite because it's all so feckin' good.

I've really gotta get more DCFC on mp3. I just missed them playing in town. Damn. (Mite, you're in ATL, aren't you? I missed the show at Variety because I am broke and stupid.)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 07:06:48 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Mite, you're in ATL, aren't you? I missed the show at Variety because I am broke and stupid.

Yep. Now I'm trying to decide if I care enough to go see Guided By Voices there on a school night.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

blim8183

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mynameisben.com
Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 08:49:05 pm »

Death Cab for Cutie is one of my favorite bands ever.

Check out the new album, especially the song "Tiny Vessels" before you dismiss them. The Postal Service is great too but DCFC is better. They took me awhile to get used to as well...
Logged

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 12:20:23 pm »

Has anyone picked up Transatlanticism yet? I have it on order with Amazon and I'm the kind of person who likes to sully my initial take with the opinions of others. Kinda like listening to a DVD commentary track to a movie you've never seen before.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 07:35:50 am »

Okay, so I never really did listen to any Death Cab for Cutie, but then I was spamming MySpace earlier and this really cute girl's homepage song (god, they all have fuck*ng songs playing...) was "Soul Meets Body" which I think they played on SNL a few weeks back, because it was familiar.

Anyway, now I've got the damn thing on repeat on my nano. 

rumpy doppelganger

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
  • drang
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 08:00:41 am »

i liked dntel's "(this is) the dream of evan and chan" when life is full of possibilities came out (the song collaboration from which the postal service was born - check it out) but since then everything gibbard-related makes me phlegmy

so let's just steer this thread toward the BONZO DOG BAND

Logged
These kids are the next generation of superstars loaded with bags of crazy tricks. Watch while they ride tasty waves and catch big air just like the pros, it'll make your jaw drop! Kids Who Rip invit

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 12:07:29 pm »

all the cute girls like that band now.
I can say, though, that my cute girl liked them before it was cool to like them.


but I am sad, because she was wearing a DCFC shirt the day I met her. And now she gave that shirt to my younger brother.

but yeah, um, I don't remember the name of the song, but V-Adore but a dfcc song on the mix. it was pretty good.

also: my younger brother enjoyed transatlanticism, but I think he likes the other ones more.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 02:14:17 pm »

It is wrong to resurrect these zombie threads.

Do you know why?

Because I thought Mite was back and am now disappointed.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 02:43:20 pm »

Death Cab for Cutie ain't got a bass player so fuck 'em.

Also, echoes of disapointment that mite is no longer a regular.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: Death Cab for Cutie
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 04:08:45 pm »

Death Cab for Cutie ain't got a bass player so fuck 'em.

 You like bass? How about only bass? It ain't a rick, but this April Fools day is my treat. 500 Watts of high speed laser vomit.

 Has anyone heard the band Why? ? They remind me of a little of DCFS in vocals and melody, but they're denser so I like them more.

edit: Curses, I have much training before I become a ninja sheriff (gold shuriken used as badge, etc).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 04:22:58 pm by antioch »
Logged
I am older now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up