The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Asherdan on May 09, 2008, 05:50:53 pm

Title: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Asherdan on May 09, 2008, 05:50:53 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Drygioni on May 09, 2008, 07:04:45 pm
It better have a MEEP MEEP option.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: jaydub on May 09, 2008, 11:42:10 pm
That or angry hordes of hormonal women.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Doc on May 10, 2008, 12:13:43 am
That or angry hordes of hormonal women.

[BANG] [eep!]
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Choop on May 10, 2008, 05:27:17 am
if you would ship me a pelt i would make us some gloves

make sure not to use the zoom when you fax me your hand drawing
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: wombat on May 12, 2008, 09:32:57 pm
I am creeped out by the idea of gloves made out of coyote. I think it's because, aren't you supposed to make leather out of, like, prey animals?
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Golfhaus on May 12, 2008, 10:22:18 pm
I'm really glad there are other people out there to do my animal killing for me. I'm by no means a bleeding heart, and the only thing I have in common with PETA is that we were both based in Hampton Roads for a time, but I don't think I could take the life of anything cuter than a spider. I'll eat 'em, I'll wear 'em, I'll be glad they haven't emerged from the woods to camp out on my lawn, but I'd sit there, trigger finger trembling and a tear in my eye, and not be able to do it.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: lprkn on May 12, 2008, 10:59:14 pm
Ash, I thought that only certain types of hide are good for leaving the hair on if you plan to use them. Something about the the types of hide and hair involved. Like how you can use bear, buffalo, and sheep hides for blankets but not so much deer or dog. My mom (who has experience in such matters) says something about the hair being hollow and having a tendency to fall out.

When I was about 10 or 11 we put together a tanning rack and tried to do a deer hide all tribal style, where you cure it with brains and such. I think we ended up throwing it away because we didn't do it right, and it got kind of gross. But my mom and a friend of hers did do a few sheep hides successfully, and this kept us out of the bathtub for a few days. Which was pretty cool to a prepubescent boy.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: theinevitable on May 12, 2008, 11:08:25 pm
I spent a few hours last summer chasing a cucaracha around my room because I couldn't handle squashing it.

mostly due to the crunchy noise those things make.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Choop on May 13, 2008, 04:13:58 am
okay so my last post in this thread? yeah that was a really obscure joke based on an episode of wings, that mediocre sitcom from too long ago.

like, i know zero about making gloves, but of course i'll try if you send me said pelts. and based on this thread i'm thinking fur-lined mittens.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: lprkn on May 13, 2008, 04:55:52 am
Hey, 'Haus: I understand. The Boy likes to shoot and will go with me every time it's an empty club day. Thats when we set up lollipop sticks and golf balls and softballs and all sorts of fun things to shoot. Hunting, well, he tried it. He doesn't like the early risings and the hard hiking work for shooting and eating something. It ain't his thing and there's no fault in that.

Your boy and I, well, we'd get along, I think. One time when I went hunting with my dad I sat down on a tree stump and fell asleep. I'm not sure what type of hunter you are, but my dad is really into it. Not the reloading/ballistics aspect so much like you, but definitely in a "get out there and make up for buying meat from the store the rest of the year" kind of way. I don't think he'll ever use a stand unless he can't walk, but then he wouldn't be able to get into the tree anyway, so it's a moot point.

But now that I haven't hunted in a couple-three years, I'm definitely getting a hankering to hike some hills and glass some animals. I really have no excuse either, I live in Recreation Paradise and tags are cheap. Chalk it up to laziness, it's the story of my life. Step 1: Buy a shooting iron. There are so many options out there, but I think a safe bet would be a 30-06. So I can go after deer and elk.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 13, 2008, 05:01:34 am
As much as I've enojyed shooting, Ive never gone hunting, but Im sure Id love it. My only question is a basic one. Say you get your weapon and your tag. Where do you get to kill things? Is there like a list of designated places or what? Its not like I can just walk into the nearest wooded area and pick off a deer, right? Because someone owns that area.

Edit: I found the information on my state Dept. Of Environmental Protection website. I had no idea I supported this particular department and their efforts to facilitate my killing of deers, turkeys, and "the best waterfowl hunting in the country"
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 13, 2008, 03:51:04 pm
I meant support as in, I am in favor of what they do.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 13, 2008, 04:19:15 pm
In Virginia you have the constitutional right to hunt and giraffe! (http://legis.state.va.us/Laws/search/Constitution.htm#11S4)  Don't you forget it!

I've never been a hunter, and never particularly wanted to be.  I like venison though, so I'm glad my father-in-law goes out and gets a couple deer every year.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Ben-San on May 13, 2008, 06:29:31 pm
I started out by buying topographical maps of my local mountains, visiting the Dept. of giraffe & Game website for season and zone info and then calling up or dropping in at the area ranger stations for local knowledge and detailed hunt/no hunt maps. Then I spent (and still spend) days hiking in to spots in the dark and sitting quietly with binoculars and spotting scope watching animals do their thing and looking for travel areas, bedding areas and patterns.

Y'know, so I can shoot one and eat it when it's legal for me to do so.

So I never really got the appeal of hunting but that sounds like a pretty decently rad hobby before the shoot-and-eat part. I'm still not too into the shooting part but sitting quietly looking at animals with binoculars sounds pretty good.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Ben-San on May 13, 2008, 07:04:11 pm
Yeah, it's not something I'd do but I can definitely see why you'd get into going out and looking at nature. Honestly your style of hunting I don't have a worse gripe with than "not my thing"; trophy-hunting bugs the hell out of me, but with game hunting I wouldn't really have the moral high ground unless I was a vegetarian. The deer gets to live its life doing its ungulate thing and it gets killed by a predator that wants to eat it, which is basically the standard deer lifecycle since very old times.

Still not too cool with kill-for-the-sake-of-killing types, but you can rest easy in the knowledge that your brand of the hobby is approved of by an overweight liberal urban Jew who posts to Internet forums about cartoon cats without any ##### on.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: jay-ell on May 13, 2008, 07:33:09 pm
Still not too cool with kill-for-the-sake-of-killing types, but you can rest easy in the knowledge that your brand of the hobby is approved of by an overweight liberal urban Jew who posts to Internet forums about cartoon cats without any ****** on.

There it is, folks...the magic of the Internet! 

This thread went to an awesome place.  I love you guys. 
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: wombat on May 13, 2008, 08:47:17 pm
Sometimes it's cool just to run into some snakes fuck*ng.

I agree, but I prefer it happening indoors where I will not run into any loose bears, defecating or otherwise.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Doc on May 13, 2008, 11:15:27 pm
Ben-san has basically summarised my view. I might try hunting one day, which is a turn around from a few years ago when I just didn't get the attraction at all, but only if it was something I could chow down on later.
Actually now I think about it 'roo steak is pretty tasty, though I think the wild ones can have hell of parasites.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: lprkn on May 13, 2008, 11:42:10 pm
Marsupial meat...weird.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: jaydub on May 14, 2008, 12:11:29 am
Yay for the internet (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060707140555AA0PXq5).

Damn, Skippy.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Doc on May 14, 2008, 01:30:53 am
I like it but not all the time. I think gamey is the right word for it? It reminds me of lamb in a weird way but with a sharper flavour.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: lprkn on May 14, 2008, 01:35:13 am
One time when I was talking to someone who had never eaten venison, I discovered that I was unable to explain the concept of "gamey." I just couldn't do it, you either have had it or you haven't in my opinion.

Kangaroo Burgers is an awesome urban legend, it just pays zero mind to the logical obstructions to the concept and goes for the gold.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Doc on May 14, 2008, 01:38:22 am
I also don't think kangaroo meat would make a good mince patty. A nice slow cooked roast is more appropriate to my mind.

Huh, according to aunty (http://www.abc.net.au/science/features/skippysizeme/) I was wrong about wild roos being more risky disease wise since there aren't actually any farmed roos. Interesting stuff. Damn, more people need to eat this stuff, ditch the sheep have open paddocks full of roos and ecological stability here we come.
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: jaydub on May 14, 2008, 04:20:39 pm
Clearly, differences in opinion on the role of coyotes in modern life exist:
(http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/images/2008/05/13/chloe_charlie_800.jpg) (http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2008/05/charlie-meets-c.html)

(People make pets out of the damnedest things)

Click picture for saccharine web site
Title: Re: Wile E. Coyote on the Rampage
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on May 15, 2008, 02:58:51 am
"Guest      10:44:46 PM     Printing the topic "Lesbian Bukkake"."

In other news, today ill wish I hadnt spent so much at the bar last night. But they have these delicious kielbasa with beer mustard sammiches and shots that vary in price by the hour.
"In 10 minutes the price of shots goes up $1." - "Wait what? Ok Ill have 5 more shots, please, now. You can even put them all in one cup if that works for you."