The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Victoria Waterfield on May 14, 2008, 07:30:40 pm
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05142008
This is why Roast Beef needs to stay penniless.
-
Did we know that T grew up with Ray and Beef? This seems odd to me, given that the cats are...well, cats, and T is an alive stuffed animal.
Did he used to be smaller?
-
Did we know that T grew up with Ray and Beef? This seems odd to me, given that the cats are...well, cats, and T is an alive stuffed animal.
Did he used to be smaller?
He did (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10292003).
Sad is now officially a verb. There is no argument.
-
Did we know that T grew up with Ray and Beef? This seems odd to me, given that the cats are...well, cats, and T is an alive stuffed animal.
I didn't construe this to mean they all grew up together. When Theodore says "I'd open the pizza parlor we all went to as little kids" I took it to mean that all kids go to the same kind of pizza joint... like a shared cultural experience.
-
Oh, definitely. Didn't we all go to that same pizza joint?
-
My childhood pizza place had a big window into the kitchen so you could watch them tossing the dough. Awesome. From a kid's perspective the only thing that would've made it cooler was if they had a moon bounce.
-
my childhood pizza place closed right when I hit 6th or 7th grade. Since then it's been Papa John's. LAME. My parents/brother/sister really like Wolfman pizza, which is the kind of place where you pay extra to have Fresh Ingredients or Unique Style or whatever. LAME.
All I want is a big greasy slice of pepperoni pizza. I ain't need feta cheese on there. Maybe sometimes I want BBQ Chicken Pizza, for a change, or plain cheese.
-
My childhood pizza place was our kitchen table and Pizza Hut Delivery.
I could rack up Book It! Personal Pan Pizza certificates faster than any kid I knew.
-
I realized later that my childhood pizza place has terrible pizza and havent been back there since like 5th grade.
Also, the delivery guy is/was a local drug dealer so that added some spice.
-
We had two pizza choices in the land of my childhood - a local chain of the "tip the pizza to the side, and the grease will soak a hole in the paper plate" kind, and Little Caesar's. In the land of my adolescence, we had all the rest of it, and I developed a fierce hatred for Domino's pizza.
-
That really does sound eerily close to a pizza restaurant I used to go to as a kid. I always used to insist that we go there on my birthday (which, incidentally, is today). Pity it got remodelled and made all upmarket ages ago. I'll have to get my birthday pizza from somewhere else.
-
There is no such thing as a bad pizza.
And you can quote me on that.
-
There is no such thing as a bad pizza.
Somebody had to do it.
-
(http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z10/herofix/269-280.jpg)
'Amber pebbled plastic tumblers for water'.
-
Pizza can be made to be bad. It can be overcooked or undercooked, The sauce can be so watery that it soaks through the crust and you need a fork to eat the pizza soup that results. The cheese selection can be wrong. The sauce can be incredibly salty or otherwise seasoned wrong. Ive experienced all of these things.
And topping selection can also ruin a pizza.
(http://www.belch.com/img/mcdpizza.jpg)
-
I am pretty sure that that belongs in the Drunk Food thread.
-
I am pretty sure that that belongs in the Drunk Food Crimes Against Nature thread.
Fixed that for you.
-
Oh man, yes.
I definitely grew up in a town too small for anything other than the pizza delivery boy also being the town's most profitable drug dealer.
That is just how it works.
It is the circle of life.
-
My childhood pizza place was our kitchen table and Pizza Hut Delivery.
That is the saddest thing.
-
There is no such thing as a bad pizza.
And you can quote me on that.
I agree. I don't remember having a slice that I didn't like.
-
1. Onstad is hell of back to form.
2. Only he got the cigarette machine wrong. They didn't have push buttons. They had the little knobs you pulled out that sprang back in with a Ka-CHUNK sound and a separate lever for matches. All decorated in 14 shades of pale gold/beige with elongated vertical diamond shapes on it. And it would have Kents, Pell Mells, Camels, Luckies and Salems, at a minimum.
-
and camel unfiltered.
and a ms. pacman table that only takes a quarter if you slug in in there *juuuuust* right.
and no beer.
-
1. Onstad is hell of back to form.
2. Only he got the cigarette machine wrong. They didn't have push buttons. They had the little knobs you pulled out that sprang back in with a Ka-CHUNK sound and a separate lever for matches. All decorated in 14 shades of pale gold/beige with elongated vertical diamond shapes on it. And it would have Kents, Pell Mells, Camels, Luckies and Salems, at a minimum.
Kurt Vonnegut would hell of call you a french word that I didn't know and didn't remember to look up and can't find now (it is in Welcome to the Monkey House), but which is negative, for calling Pall Malls Pell Mells; if he wasn't in Heaven of course.
-
Pall Mall is pronounced Pell Mell in most of this country that I've seen, it's a forgivable error or a clever pun.
-
I'm astonished at how many of you think there is no such thing as bad pizza, but I guess it explains a lot about the state of pizza these days.
-
I'm astonished at how many of you think there is no such thing as bad pizza, but I guess it explains a lot about the state of pizza these days.
Pizza is like sex; even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.
-
Depends on the pizza, if you ask me.
-
A can to Asherdan for the assist, and two cans to Wombat for that beautiful slapshot.
Yes, I can do that.
-
Pizza is a lot like sex... sometimes its good to burn the roof of your mouth.
Pizza is a lot like sex... sometimes if its just too limp, you gotta fold it over in a plate, is all.
Pizza is a lot like sex... always better with a little garlic butteresque dipping sauce.
Pizza is a lot like sex... if it takes more than a half an hour, you really shouldn't have to pay.
Pizza is a lot like sex... late at night, sometimes the stuff that you know is trash tastes better.
Pizza is a lot like sex... in both situations, I don't want to see a picture of Wolfgang Puck.
Pizza is a lot like sex... if you can get it on a street corner, you're going to end up with an illness.
-
Every pizza I've ever made (including the one I'm about to eat right now) has been a failed attempt at recreating what I grew up on from Jim Davenport's Pizza Palace (http://www.davenportspizza.com/).
This strip, pizza metaphors aside, is comedy gold of the classic Achewood variety. This is the stuff I love. Roast Beef looks depressed about the fact that he's not drinking alcohol! C'mon, people.
-
pizza is a lot like sex... people want all kinds of complicated shit when the basic thing is pretty goddamn awesome.
I don't need 24 vegan toppings to have a good time, is what I am saying.
-
I have long believed that pizza was better when we were kids. Going out for pizza was such a treat. And Pizza Hut was seriously good way back in the day, before they added delivery and tried to compete with Domino's.
Partially it's just selective memory, and partly it's the race to the bottom, to home-deliver commodity-grade pizza cheaply. We were at a kids' birthday party last weekend, and they had "Pizza Mia" from Pizza Hut. If it hadn't been in a branded box I'd have thought it was cheap-ass frozen pizza from the grocery store. So, so bad. Better than no pizza at all, but only just.
So yeah, I get exactly what Teodor is on to here.
-
Pizza is like sex
I have long believed that pizza was better when we were kids.
-
Pizza is like sex
I have long believed that pizza was better when we were kids.
Well, it was pretty damn awesome when I was 19 and could go more than twice or three times without falling asleep.
/TMI off
-
Oh, definitely. Didn't we all go to that same pizza joint?
Bob and John's La Hacienda on Hertel. Remember the Joust game?
-
My childhood pizza place did not have a Joust game. It did have an Arkanoid machine, which was usually out of order, and a pinball machine, which was always out of order and was based on the theme of assembling different parts of a female android. There was also a refrigerator (a white one, not one of the ones with glass doors) that held a bunch of tubs of Ben and Jerry's and was covered in flyers held up by refrigerator magnets. Every year around Halloween, they'd hold a "Pizzapalooza" event outside featuring local bands and a septuagenarian Elvis impersonator. A street map on the opposite wall showed the borders of "The Pizzaland Empire" within which they would do delivery.
It was mostly just a delivery place, with a couple of those prefab round table/bench arrangements out front that were hardly ever used. The same franchise owned a sit-down pizza place at the big intersection about a mile up the road, but I only ever went there once and it wasn't all that interesting. After I graduated from high school, I learned that they both belonged to the brother of my AP history teacher. My family lived just far enough away that if we ordered pizza for pickup when we left home, it was almost ready by the time we arrived, and we would just hang out with the guys behind the counter for five or ten minutes. They actually tossed all the pizzas right behind the counter as well, then ran them through this conveyor belt oven device, so we got to watch them make more pizzas while we talked.
There was a point when I was about ten or eleven when things got even weirder. At the time the employees there comprised a bunch of vaguely punkish college kids who spent a lot of their time on the job smoking weed around the back of the building. They did put out a jar next to the tip jar and the UNICEF box to raise money for the "Kitty Fund" to support a stray cat that had taken up residence in the overgrown area out back, which was nice, but the quality of the service, and the pizza itself, became a lot less consistent. There were a couple of times when they ran out of toppings and we'd end up with a "Canadian bacon" pizza made with supermarket-bought mozzarella and slices of Kraft honey ham. Ultimately they came up with a big plan to buy the place off the teacher's brother guy and run it collectively, but that fell prey to internal squabbling (which had been ongoing, and was at least as big a reason for the crappy pizza as their being stoned all the time). The group came apart at the seams and eventually they all left except for this one guy who'd been less of a flake than the others and had managed to stay pretty mellow about all the stupid stuff that had been going down.
The pizza place is still open. The Arkanoid machine is gone now, but the fem-bot pinball table is still there, and still doesn't work, and to this day that one guy is still there behind the counter. He has a wife and a kid of his own now; whether she's the breadwinner of the family or he just somehow manages to support them all on a pizza dude's salary I have no idea.
-
That's a beautiful story Felix.
-
That's a beautiful story Felix.
I wanted to say, "thanks for sharing," but I was afraid you'd take it as if I was being sarcastic.
-
I didn't analyze this to beggarly they all grew up together. When Theodore says "I'd accessible the pizza parlor we all went to as little kids" I took it to beggarly that all kids go to the aforementioned affectionate of pizza joint... like a aggregate cultural experience.
_________________
Toaster (http://blog.toaster-shop.com/blog/toaster)
-
I didn't analyze this to beggarly they all grew up together. When Theodore says "I'd accessible the pizza parlor we all went to as little kids" I took it to beggarly that all kids go to the aforementioned affectionate of pizza joint... like a aggregate cultural experience.
Uhhhh.... I'm sorry, your post is pretty incomprehensible to me. I guess there are three possibilities here.
a) Filter victim;
b) You have poor language skills, at least as regards certain words; or
c) I'm having a stroke.
I'm really hoping it's not "C".
-
I'm thinking 'bot
Or an extremely motivated non-english speaker using ca. 1998 free web-based translation services.
-
Or, Hammish in reply #3:
I didn't construe this to mean they all grew up together. When Theodore says "I'd open the pizza parlor we all went to as little kids" I took it to mean that all kids go to the same kind of pizza joint... like a shared cultural experience.
And Kira09:
_________________
Toaster (http://blog.toaster-shop.com/blog/toaster)
This is comment spam. However, it is comment spam in the service of toast, so I'm okay with it.
-
fuckin CANNED
-
Or, Hammish in reply #3:
And Kira09:
This is comment spam. However, it is comment spam in the service of toast, so I'm okay with it.
Make it cheese toast and we have a deal.
-
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
cheese toast.
-
I had to deal with this when I was doing an internship. They had me douche the spam from the boards. And a lot of it was like this, seemingly regular comments and then all of a sudden an odd link to an Asian porn site or Indian chat room.
At least this guy is spaming good shit.
-
hey at least it's posting at all amirite
tp ur w8rss