The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Toaster on June 13, 2008, 01:43:08 am

Title: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: Toaster on June 13, 2008, 01:43:08 am
PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE. Is it pronounced "El-Oh-El Cats", like saying each letter, or is pronounced "Lohl Cats", like if LOL was a word?

I say it the second way.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: CortJstr on June 13, 2008, 01:52:15 am
It's always rhymed with roll in my head since I first heard the term in 94 or 95. But then I also say .gif as Jiff.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 13, 2008, 02:00:46 am
Its pronounced "Jough-katz"
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: wombat on June 13, 2008, 02:09:50 am
If it's not the same as 'loll', I don't want to hear about it.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: pmcd9 on June 13, 2008, 02:15:56 am
Lowell Katz.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: Golfhaus on June 13, 2008, 03:08:26 am
/pliːz/ /du/ /nɑt/ /ˈmɛnʃən/ /ðæt/ /hɪər/

At least in the IPA.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: jay-ell on June 13, 2008, 02:04:06 pm
Its pronounced "Jough-katz"

And "ACAP" is prounounced "Can'd." 
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: Toaster on June 13, 2008, 02:42:32 pm
1) Nice filter.

2) There seems to be a strong consensus, which I like.

3) 1995? Where was I? (Oh, I remember. I was five.)
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 13, 2008, 03:00:12 pm
It's always rhymed with roll in my head since I first heard the term in 94 or 95. But then I also say .gif as Jiff.
Is there another way?
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: Doc on June 13, 2008, 03:13:21 pm
g-iff

like 'give' with a soft v.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: wombat on June 13, 2008, 03:26:15 pm
Is there another way?

LOLL.  Rhymes with 'doll'.  Why would anyone pronounce it like 'roll'? There is already a word 'loll,' why would you not pronounce it the same?
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: CortJstr on June 13, 2008, 06:43:02 pm
For some reason I read ROFL as "roll-f" in my head. I don't know why.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: jaydub on June 13, 2008, 06:52:12 pm
It reads as "roffle" in my mind.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: Doc on June 14, 2008, 01:23:19 am
LOLL.  Rhymes with 'doll'.  Why would anyone pronounce it like 'roll'? There is already a word 'loll,' why would you not pronounce it the same?

this too
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: iron_felix on June 14, 2008, 02:25:41 am
Isn't the actual word 'loll' also pronounced like 'doll'?  That's how my mom always pronounced it when she was accusing me of "lolling around."

Actually, does anyone even call it "lolling around" anymore outside of Derbyshire?  I seem to recall finding the word listed in the etymology of lollygag as something nobody had used since the Fourteenth Century or something, which would be par for the course as far as my mother's side of the family is concerned.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: jaydub on June 14, 2008, 05:09:14 am
I seem to recall finding the word listed in the etymology of lollygag as something nobody had used since the Fourteenth Century or something, which would be par for the course as far as my mother's side of the family is concerned.
Are you related to Molly?
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: wombat on June 14, 2008, 11:44:25 am
Isn't the actual word 'loll' also pronounced like 'doll'? 

YES. And this word is not obscure or obsolete. ARGH.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: jough on June 16, 2008, 11:33:05 am
Yeah, it's like loll.  Exactly.  And ".gif" is pronounced like there was an extra F on the end: giff.  Like gift but without the T.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: wombat on June 16, 2008, 12:22:28 pm
EL GUAPO HAS SPOKEN.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: CortJstr on June 16, 2008, 01:04:47 pm
Back when I first got online (on, sigh, AOL) they had a FAQ posted about all this newfangled computer jargon. According to it the people at Compuserve who invented .gif said it was supposed to sound like Jif peanut butter. So that's how I've pronounced it since. Wikipedia seems to confirm this theory so I'll stick with the J sound.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: AugustWest on June 17, 2008, 03:27:29 am
Yeah, it's like loll.  Exactly.  And ".gif" is pronounced like there was an extra F on the end: giff.  Like gift but without the T.

".gif" is pronounced just like ".jough"?
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 17, 2008, 05:03:41 am
Its pronounced "Jough-katz"
".gif" is pronounced just like ".jough"?

So in the soviet version of touamb, do people get jough for saying cans?
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: jay-ell on June 17, 2008, 02:40:50 pm
In soviet TOUAMB, nobody gets jough, because it is a desolate place of sadness and deprivation. 

Totally unlike
this board. 
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: side_show on June 17, 2008, 10:36:48 pm
Sniff.  I miss you folks.  But I don't miss Achewood at all, which makes it all weird when I have a second to stop by.  Tried to read Achewood twice this month for the first time since February, totally meh. 
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: dejavroom on June 18, 2008, 05:09:14 pm
Back when I first got online (on, sigh, AOL) they had a FAQ posted about all this newfangled computer jargon. According to it the people at Compuserve who invented .gif said it was supposed to sound like Jif peanut butter. So that's how I've pronounced it since. Wikipedia seems to confirm this theory so I'll stick with the J sound.

Oh, wow, never knew. I used to say ".gif" as in "guest", but those days are over.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: Choop on June 19, 2008, 07:50:30 am
descriptivism ftw

damn you compuserve it's a velar g not an affricate g i don't care how you meant it to be pronounced
besides it's short for graphics interchange format do you pronounce graphics with a j NO YOU DO NOT I REST MY CASE
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: dejavroom on June 19, 2008, 11:53:45 am
Interesting...
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: CortJstr on June 19, 2008, 12:46:19 pm
descriptivism ftw

damn you compuserve it's a velar g not an affricate g i don't care how you meant it to be pronounced
besides it's short for graphics interchange format do you pronounce graphics with a j NO YOU DO NOT I REST MY CASE

Yes, but then you can't say "choosy coders choose .gif"

Game. Set. Match.

That plus animated gifs are hell of low class so who really cares anyway.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: Choop on June 24, 2008, 06:11:55 am
choosy coders choose .png anyway cj

and if i recall correctly you lot used to enjoy my little animations of achewood
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: CortJstr on June 24, 2008, 01:22:47 pm
choosy coders choose .png anyway cj

and if i recall correctly you lot used to enjoy my little animations of achewood

Sure. Now. But I'm pretty sure that .png didn't exist circa 1993
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: jough on July 27, 2008, 02:05:02 am
That plus animated gifs are hell of low class so who really cares anyway.

I completely agree.

(http://touamb.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=101;type=avatar)

Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2008, 03:38:02 am
I completely agree.

(http://touamb.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=101;type=avatar)



Wow, it took like 3 months for somebody to call me on that. Excellent work, El Jefe.
Title: Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
Post by: jough on August 08, 2008, 10:36:13 pm
Hit and run. That's my new board strategy.