Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation  (Read 8348 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« on: June 13, 2008, 01:43:08 am »

PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE. Is it pronounced "El-Oh-El Cats", like saying each letter, or is pronounced "Lohl Cats", like if LOL was a word?

I say it the second way.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:52:15 am »

It's always rhymed with roll in my head since I first heard the term in 94 or 95. But then I also say .gif as Jiff.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:00:46 am »

Its pronounced "Jough-katz"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 02:09:50 am »

If it's not the same as 'loll', I don't want to hear about it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 02:15:56 am »

Lowell Katz.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:08:26 am »

/pliːz/ /du/ /nɑt/ /ˈmɛnʃən/ /ðæt/ /hɪər/

At least in the IPA.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 02:04:06 pm »

Its pronounced "Jough-katz"

And "ACAP" is prounounced "Can'd." 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 02:42:32 pm »

1) Nice filter.

2) There seems to be a strong consensus, which I like.

3) 1995? Where was I? (Oh, I remember. I was five.)
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 03:00:12 pm »

It's always rhymed with roll in my head since I first heard the term in 94 or 95. But then I also say .gif as Jiff.
Is there another way?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 03:13:21 pm »

g-iff

like 'give' with a soft v.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 03:26:15 pm »

Is there another way?

LOLL.  Rhymes with 'doll'.  Why would anyone pronounce it like 'roll'? There is already a word 'loll,' why would you not pronounce it the same?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 06:43:02 pm »

For some reason I read ROFL as "roll-f" in my head. I don't know why.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 06:52:12 pm »

It reads as "roffle" in my mind.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 01:23:19 am »

LOLL.  Rhymes with 'doll'.  Why would anyone pronounce it like 'roll'? There is already a word 'loll,' why would you not pronounce it the same?

this too
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE pronunciation
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 02:25:41 am »

Isn't the actual word 'loll' also pronounced like 'doll'?  That's how my mom always pronounced it when she was accusing me of "lolling around."

Actually, does anyone even call it "lolling around" anymore outside of Derbyshire?  I seem to recall finding the word listed in the etymology of lollygag as something nobody had used since the Fourteenth Century or something, which would be par for the course as far as my mother's side of the family is concerned.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up