The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Harlock Hero on July 02, 2008, 02:06:17 am

Title: Fields of Gold
Post by: Harlock Hero on July 02, 2008, 02:06:17 am
Hey guys. I know I've hardly posted here since I first signed-up-after-lurking a year or so ago, but take heart: that's because I have a job that has me on my computer so many hours out of the day that the last thing I usually want to do for leisure is spend more hours sitting and typing. It should not be taken as a sign that you fellows are not running the single least miserable message board on the whole internet. I mean that as a compliment.

Anyway, all I have to say is that...

With all the wedding stuff happening lately, I decided to go back and re-read the arc where it all started. Dang, people, if you haven't gone back and revisited it lately, please do so. It reads so great all at once, and I'm not ashamed to admit I got all sniffly from it.

I was kinda feeling blagular because of my current assignment (being paid to write a 65 page wedding speech for a stranger; is there anything worse??), and reading this straight up made me kinda not want to die just yet. I thought it would be nice to try and share that experience if possible.

Here's a link to the first strip, if interested:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05212007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05212007)
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: wombat on July 02, 2008, 02:16:19 am
(being paid to write a 65 page wedding speech for a stranger; is there anything worse??)

Having to listen to a 65 page speech at a wedding?
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: wombat on July 02, 2008, 02:24:15 am
Also, you are right about that arc. Thanks.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on July 02, 2008, 07:04:19 pm
a 65 page wedding speech for a stranger; is there anything worse??

If you're not exaggerating, then your client is INSANE.  65 pages, even written to the heavily-whitespaces specs of a script would be over an hour of blather.  If you're talking normal, double-spaced pages of text, it's probably more like 3 or 4 hours.  I wouldn't spend any effort on anything after the fifth page, nobody's gonna get that far.  Even the bride and groom will be at the bar getting triple vodka-soads at that point.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: wombat on July 02, 2008, 07:40:10 pm
such as how a good wife makes linen garments and sells them in the marketplace, makes sashes for the merchants to wear, considers a field for its wine producing capacity, plants grapes there and then gives the profits to her family, etc, etc.

Well dang, maybe that's my problem.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 02, 2008, 07:59:18 pm
Id be pretty jazzed if my wife's hobby was making us wine.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: jaydub on July 02, 2008, 09:52:04 pm
65 pages, even written to the heavily-whitespaces specs of a script would be over an hour of blather.  If you're talking normal, double-spaced pages of text, it's probably more like 3 or 4 hours.
Perhaps his client is European royalty.  Paens to the olde familys of yore and whatnot.  Didn't I read somewhere that the Windsors' name is a convenient shorthand for their actual family name that hails from central Germany?  To Wikipedia!
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on July 02, 2008, 09:57:52 pm
Didn't I read somewhere that the Windsors' name is a convenient shorthand for their actual family name that hails from central Germany? 

Friends, today we come to celebrate the union between Sarah Marie O'Connor and Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfernschplendenschlittercrasscrenbonf rieddiggerdingledangledongledungleburst einvonknackerthrasherapplebangerhorowit zticolensicgranderknottyspelltinklegran dlichgrumblemeyerspelterwasserkurstlich himbleeisenbahnwagengutenabendbitteeinn ürnburgerbratwustlegerspurtenmitzweimacheluberhundsfutgumberabershönedankerkalbsfleischmittleraucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: pmcd9 on July 02, 2008, 10:04:59 pm
Id be pretty jazzed if my wife's hobby was making us wine.

She doesn't make the wine, just considers the field where the grapes are grown.  Like "that's a good field, plant that shit right there.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: jaydub on July 02, 2008, 10:05:45 pm
Yes!

Here's a pithy quote from Wikipedia attibuted to the Kaiser:

" Upon hearing that his cousin George V had changed the name of the British royal house to Windsor, German Emperor William II remarked jokingly that he planned to see Shakespeare's play The Merry Wives of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha".

Even better is the surname that would have been Prince Charles' had Elizabeth II not decreed otherwise, of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.  With the fading of WWII bitterness, I wonder if future generations of Royalty will revert to the traditional names.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: side_show on July 04, 2008, 04:17:09 am
65 pages?  By any chance is Castro the best man at this event?

If anyone tries that at the SO and I's wedding, I will be hitting that person with a shovel.  Castro or not.

I mean, sure we're forcing people to say nice things about us, but not more than a few minutes worth.  I can't imagine anything beyond page 6 being much other than flattering descriptions of our body parts, which is wholly unnecessary. 
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 04, 2008, 05:21:12 am
youve been with the same girl since you were 15? Dude, no. Try out some new pu$$ys. see whats up.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: side_show on July 04, 2008, 02:31:40 pm
Planning a wedding is sort of like hell.  I am not a girly girl, I was never a girl who dreamed of getting married or made any plans related to doing so before now, and I do not care about most of the details. I love the guy, we have been together over 6 1/2 yrs, and I do sincerely want to be married to him, but without it being a thing.  Unfortunately for other people, they want it to be a thing, and this has created conflict where there need not be any.  I am glad we set the date for so soon after getting engaged, because I'm pretty sure I would go insane if I spent a year planning it out, micro managing details and wasting so much time. 
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: CortJstr on July 04, 2008, 03:40:48 pm
Planning a wedding is sort of like hell.  I am not a girly girl, I was never a girl who dreamed of getting married or made any plans related to doing so before now, and I do not care about most of the details. I love the guy, we have been together over 6 1/2 yrs, and I do sincerely want to be married to him, but without it being a thing.  Unfortunately for other people, they want it to be a thing, and this has created conflict where there need not be any.

QFgoddamnT
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Golfhaus on July 04, 2008, 06:02:05 pm
Mrs. Haus had about four months to plan our wedding, and didn't have the benefit of my help for very much of it, because I was living in Charlotte for five days each week and coming home for two. She would have gone insane if she was planning the Traditional Wedding lots of people think they need to have.

Personally, I feel like the chances of a marriage succeeding fall as the amount of money spent on it's wedding ceremony rise. I've known people who have blown $40,000 on a wedding and got divorced within the year. We spent about $4000 on ours, and I'm pretty confident she's not going anywhere.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Choop on July 05, 2008, 01:25:56 am
Try what I did. Only $10k.


Actually we eloped, it cost us about two hundred bucks all told. Like 5 months later we threw a "wedding" and to this day not everybody knows it was a fake. We had a catering company at the time so all the supplies were wholesale or borrowed, except the cake & dress. Venue? Free: our backyard. We hired one chef to cook and a preacher to "marry" us; the DJ was a buddy of mine from work.

Also: NO CHICKEN DANCE, NO HOKEY POKEY, NONE OF THAT SHIT. IF I WANTED TO ACT LIKE I WAS FIVE OR RETARDED I WOULD SPILL FOOD ON MYSELF, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 05, 2008, 06:20:01 am
Quote from: Choopernickel
Also: NO CHICKEN DANCE, NO HOKEY POKEY, NONE OF THAT SHIT. IF I WANTED TO ACT LIKE I WAS FIVE OR RETARDED I WOULD SPILL FOOD ON MYSELF, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Holy crap. So key.

58% of what is lame about attending weddings is all the shit-ass childish dances at the reception.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Golfhaus on July 05, 2008, 12:31:58 pm
Indeed... we informed the DJ that he would not get paid if any of that crap went down.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Doc on July 05, 2008, 12:33:44 pm
Also: NO CHICKEN DANCE, NO HOKEY POKEY, NONE OF THAT SHIT. IF I WANTED TO ACT LIKE I WAS FIVE OR RETARDED I WOULD SPILL FOOD ON MYSELF, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Really? People do that?
I mean I've only been to a couple of weddings but if someone started pulling that shit on me there would be words.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Liz on July 05, 2008, 12:36:39 pm
I think that a Hokey Pokey is acceptable if you have a lot of people with kids at the reception. At least, most of my memories of wedding-related 'Pokeys are from when I was a little kid.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on July 05, 2008, 10:41:56 pm
Indeed... we informed the DJ that he would not get paid if any of that crap went down.

Man, you guys need to loosen up and have some fun.  The chicken dance is a hoot. Just get a couple of drnks into you and it's nonstop shenanigans.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Golfhaus on July 05, 2008, 11:58:48 pm
I will never see the enjoyment of the Chicken Dance. As a child, I dreaded the potential of being picked at the Bavarian Dance show at the Festhaus at Busch Gardens. It's no different now.

Seriously, I've been a bit of a fuddy-duddy since the age of 4.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on July 06, 2008, 06:11:51 am
I guess I have a fairly positive view on weddings and the party-style fun associated with them.  I have a very small family, so I didn't have to attend any Boring Place weddings as a child.  Indeed, I first went to a wedding in my mid-twenties, and I've been to a dozen or so since then, so they're mostly assocated with drinking lots and dancing with bridesmaids.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: side_show on July 07, 2008, 02:56:54 pm
We are not going for any dance music, just our own iPod play list of classic standards like Sinatra (Lady is a Tramp, Love and Marriage, etc.), Ella Fitzgerald, the Beatles, etc. for background music.  Someone is trying to force us to have a DJ, but we're talking about a horrible small town DJ who has only stale pop music and country, which are the two types of tunes we both hate.  I did add John Denver's "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" to the list as a secret joke nod to what could have been and as a reference to the SO's roots. We're not dancing people, and the reception is under a tent on the SO's family farm.  If spontaneous dancing happens, that's cool though.  I'll probably put together a secret play list on our other iPod of dance music that doesn't suck in case things turn that way. Apart from the standard classics, we've got some songs that have meaning to us from other stages of our lives, like the super cheesy Bangles song, Eternal Flame (which I lipsynched to over and over again as a little girl.  I had the cassingle, and I still know all the words.)  Also Neil Young, Harvest Moon, which is just too beautiful and perfect for a prairie wedding, and other favorites of ours.

Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 07, 2008, 04:38:50 pm
Have you heard some Feist? Leslie Feist is my go-to background music.
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: side_show on July 07, 2008, 10:30:01 pm
Many folks I know like Feist.  I do not.  Something about her voice annoys me. In Canada, we don't get that many global success stories, so she's just way too overplayed for my liking.  Honestly though, she is really well liked around here, and people love her so much. 
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: jay-ell on July 08, 2008, 04:46:17 pm
Man, I KNOW that you mean that sincerely, so thanks. But still, I dunno, I guess it's just not my thing. I mean like, the present girl does things such as reminding me to eat and when I do eat, making sure that I don't eat moldy or rotten things out of negligence. It's a hard quality to come by, I hear.

I've been with Pedro since I was fifteen.  We got married at 22 and this November we will finally have been married as long as we were together pre-wedding.  It's good times. 

There's a lot to be said for growing into a relationship like that.  It doesn't work for everyone, but it's been darn good for us. 
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: milhouse on July 08, 2008, 05:04:57 pm
I've been with Pedro since I was fifteen.  We got married at 22 and this November we will finally have been married as long as we were together pre-wedding.  It's good times. 

There's a lot to be said for growing into a relationship like that.  It doesn't work for everyone, but it's been darn good for us. 

Hear hear!

Me and the Mrs met in 7th grade. Started dating when we were Juniors in high school. Got married after we had been out 8 years (a two year separation in there when I got antsy). Next month we'll have been married 10 years. Good times indeed...
Title: Re: Fields of Gold
Post by: Harlock Hero on July 10, 2008, 12:09:38 am
Word, good to hear I'm not the only one.

I think I'm the only one in my extended family to have it together in these regards. I attended my cousin's second wedding on June 7th, and he filed the divorce papers on the 29th. Call me old-fashioned, but...