The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Death Ray on July 11, 2008, 04:03:46 am

Title: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Death Ray on July 11, 2008, 04:03:46 am
As of this week, Minus, the webstrip that was certainly Calvin and Hobbes' natural inheritor, is no more. I offer this parody in lieu of flowers, which runs an amazing three metas deep (for anyone counting).

(http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/comics/2008-07-11.gif)

Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2008, 09:21:26 am
i order you not to target achewood
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 17, 2008, 04:52:15 am
these parodies are so unfunny i believe they have torn a hole in the space-time continuum

no wait, that's just me trying to slit my wrists

Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Death Ray on July 18, 2008, 02:23:11 pm
these parodies are so unfunny i believe they have torn a hole in the space-time continuum

no wait, that's just me trying to slit my wrists


I wish you all the success in the world!
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 18, 2008, 05:27:34 pm
Seriously dude, they suck.  If you can't self censor or come up with something funny then you deserve it.
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Ben-San on July 18, 2008, 10:05:29 pm
If one person says there's a duck on your head, he's probably crazy.
If two people say there's a duck on your head, maybe you didn't understand what they meant.

If everyone around you says there's a duck on your head, it couldn't hurt to check a mirror, maybe reach up and feel around.
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: wombat on July 19, 2008, 01:49:35 am
that is such a perfect piece of wisdom it actually makes this thread worthwhile.
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 19, 2008, 05:19:36 am
I like your work in general and I subscribe to your newsletter. However, I dont think the community here enjoys your self-promotion. It seems a bit forced.
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: jay-ell on July 19, 2008, 02:23:59 pm
Way to bring some sense to the table, cappy. 
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 19, 2008, 03:57:30 pm
Didn't we used to like this guy?

Burn him!!!
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: AugustWest on July 19, 2008, 04:39:21 pm
Dang, what a tough crowd we've become.
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 19, 2008, 04:52:48 pm
I dunno, I like most of the guy's stuff a lot but... as I say... I knew his work and had bought a few of his comics long before I knew of Achewood. A lot of it depends on how much you can just embrace being disgusted with the direction the damned human race is heading in.
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Death Ray on July 21, 2008, 09:39:55 pm
If one person says there's a duck on your head, he's probably crazy.
If two people say there's a duck on your head, maybe you didn't understand what they meant.

If everyone around you says there's a duck on your head, it couldn't hurt to check a mirror, maybe reach up and feel around.

The foolish man sees ducks on everyone's head but their own. (Siddartha)
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Death Ray on July 21, 2008, 09:41:07 pm
I like your work in general and I subscribe to your newsletter. However, I dont think the community here enjoys your self-promotion. It seems a bit forced.

That's why its called "shameless self-promotion". ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Death Ray on July 21, 2008, 09:52:44 pm
Didn't we used to like this guy?

Burn him!!!

PM (and all)...

I know that you think those clever avatars that give you an online identity just spring whole from you imagination like Venus from Zeus' brow, but in fact, they are created for you by imaginative entrepreneurs called "artists", who must compete, as must all life on this planet, to establish a niche  for themselves, which means getting all up in the public's grill to announce their existence and draw the positive attention of that one in one-hundred people who have been waiting for that artist to arrive on this planet to share their work and thus allow them to enhance their own identity by relating to it and joining their appreciation with that of others who have also made the discovery.

However, that leaves 99 out of one hundred who merely ignore the artist, or, in the case of the Internet, spend their free time shitting all over his efforts in their own attempt at "creativity" which, of course, is always welcome by fellow shit-minded folks, but by no one else.

Not that this information will change a damn thing about our dynamic, of course. I just thought you might like to know what your role in my enterprise is, be you the one or the other 99  ;D
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 21, 2008, 09:56:03 pm
PM (and all)...

I know that you think those clever avatars that give you an online identity just spring whole from you imagination like Venus from Zeus' brow, but in fact, they are created for you by imaginative entrepreneurs called "artists", who must compete, as must all life on this planet, to establish a niche  for themselves, which means getting all up in the public's grill to announce their existence and draw the positive attention of that one in one-hundred people who have been waiting for that artist to arrive on this planet to share their work and thus allow them to enhance their own identity by relating to it and joining their appreciation with that of others who have also made the discovery.

However, that leaves 99 out of one hundred who merely ignore the artist, or, in the case of the Internet, spend their free time shitting all over his efforts in their own attempt at "creativity" which, of course, is always welcome by fellow shit-minded folks, but by no one else.

Not that this information will change a damn thing about our dynamic, of course. I just thought you might like to know what your role in my enterprise is, be you the one or the other 99  ;D

Then why not promote the really good comic-book style artwork (a cursory view of your page had a very well-drawn Mystique) rather than an unfunny parody about Cleveland Steamers for the Steam-Powered?
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: wombat on July 21, 2008, 10:07:27 pm
Speaking as someone whose avatar, like many of those here, is clearly a photographic self-portrait, I find that rant extremely confusing.
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 22, 2008, 02:17:48 am
I don't have much of an opinion one way or the other on Mr. Ray's work, but I sure would like to see this thread l0x0rzd.
Title: Re: Web comic parody/tribute: Minus!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 22, 2008, 04:27:20 am
Sure thing Carlos.