The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MrCB on July 29, 2008, 08:59:15 am

Title: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: MrCB on July 29, 2008, 08:59:15 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07292008 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07292008)

I'm getting real Back To the Future flashbacks here with the train. I really do hope that we'll be following the path of LN a little further, no matter how many haters he has...

Also, the expression on Ray's face at the end - priceless.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: Doc on July 29, 2008, 09:11:42 am
Ray is so happy. Best Wedding Ever.

Was Teodore frazzled like that all day or did he manage to do the full circle, enjoy the party and come back to being all messed up because he's still cleaning up at 4:30 in the morning?
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: MrCB on July 29, 2008, 09:31:56 am
Ray is so happy.

He has that expression of pure bliss on his face.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: Toaster on July 29, 2008, 10:13:26 am
Right now, I have what Jeph Jaques calls "the sleep madness", same as Teodor here. Today, I didn't get any sleep all night, and I felt like Teodor, and then at 4 PM I did sleep, and I woke up at 8 PM feeling like Ray. In fact, I'm going to bed right now, after I check out Overcompensating and Wigu. It is 3 AM in the morning, and I have been watching Catherine Tate clips on YouTube and skimming through my Ian Fleming novels.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: MrCB on July 29, 2008, 11:16:47 am
I have been know to suffer the sleep madness from time to time myself - including the past couple of nights.

The hot, humid weather which has blanketed London of late has made me twist and turn, yearning for sleep, yet constantly seeing it just ahead of my heavy lidded eyes.

In truth, it is only the knowledge that at 5:30 I must awake again which has let me force myself to sleep. That and a few pops of blessed melatonin, without which my sleep would ever be worse.

I wish that I awoke at more sane hour, so that I could indulge the madness from time to time. There are days when I long to embrace the inability to sleep, and to instead watch late night tv while sipping on a cold glass of limoncello. Such simple pleasures denied.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: CortJstr on July 29, 2008, 01:27:49 pm
Purple pumps. Hell of nasty wedding night sexin'
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: pmcd9 on July 29, 2008, 02:23:40 pm
I guess it hasn't sunk in with Teodor that the wedding was a huge success and his failure was totally covered by Molly's brothers.  Ray was completely fooled and basically Teodor is wealthy now.  Wasn't he paid like an outrageous amount of money to put the thing on?
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: oball on July 29, 2008, 02:28:18 pm
Purple pumps. Hell of nasty wedding night sexin'

They're not just for the wedding night (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02052008).

Mwwwah-ha-ha
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: CortJstr on July 29, 2008, 02:29:57 pm
I guess it hasn't sunk in with Teodor that the wedding was a huge success and his failure was totally covered by Molly's brothers.  Ray was completely fooled and basically Teodor is wealthy now.  Wasn't he paid like an outrageous amount of money to put the thing on?

$100,000.01 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07022008)

It's the penny that really got to him
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: colmore on July 29, 2008, 02:43:49 pm
Remember the train to the afterlife in Final Fantasy III ?

I guess bad or just unpleasant things happening to Teodore is the new bad things happening to Phillipe or Beef.  I predict he'll be the next to get a major growth-of-character arc.  But it'll be a while.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: CortJstr on July 29, 2008, 02:57:25 pm
Remember the train to the afterlife in Final Fantasy III ?

I guess bad or just unpleasant things happening to Teodore is the new bad things happening to Phillipe or Beef.  I predict he'll be the next to get a major growth-of-character arc.  But it'll be a while.

LN is going to have to fight Siegfried then use Revivify on the engine?
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: Dangermoose on July 29, 2008, 03:20:09 pm
The way LN is already dressed up like the others ... how many other of Iorweth's "sons" joined the family this way?
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 29, 2008, 03:57:11 pm
Raymond Smuckles turned the knob on the Penfield Mood Organ by his bedside until it came to the number equivalent to "well-deserved rest"... activated the device... and laid down to dream.

Also, he was very drunk on champagne to begin with.

This helped.
Title: Achewood 7/29
Post by: Death Ray on July 29, 2008, 11:00:37 pm
You know, on several levels...Achwood is actually pretty goddamn strange.

Ghost trains and purple pumps. Just sorta hit me all of a sudden.
Title: Re: Achewood 7/29
Post by: pmcd9 on July 29, 2008, 11:02:47 pm
We already have a thread for this days strip.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 29, 2008, 11:15:38 pm
Man, why was Death Ray's duplicate date post locked so fast. That was hilarious. In one single strike of the keyboard, he duplicated a thread, incorrectly titled and then failed to put the permalink in the post. Hilarious!
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 30, 2008, 01:06:09 am
Man, why was Death Ray's duplicate date post locked so fast. That was hilarious. In one single strike of the keyboard, he duplicated a thread, incorrectly titled and then failed to put the permalink in the post. Hilarious!

Probably also included a link to a Funny Parody of, say, Penny Arcade that consisted of rectal prolapse humor.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: pmcd9 on July 30, 2008, 02:37:07 am
C'mon guys he's trying.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: Doc on July 30, 2008, 05:59:31 am
Dicks and strangers right guys?

Right?
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 30, 2008, 02:02:40 pm
The way LN is already dressed up like the others ... how many other of Iorweth's "sons" joined the family this way?
They rest of them, sans Taffy, look related, though.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: pez on July 30, 2008, 02:42:31 pm
I did wonder how the Molly Dying In 1676 And Yet Her Family Is Still Alive And Well story arc was going to play out.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: MrCB on July 30, 2008, 03:08:14 pm
I did wonder how the Molly Dying In 1676 And Yet Her Family Is Still Alive And Well story arc was going to play out.

Still alive and well?? Looked as much as they did come from that other place. We already know that you can move between death and not and that there are a variety of ways to come back - see the Ray in Hell arc, and Beef's return by hand of No-No.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 31, 2008, 04:05:52 am
Is it my imagination, or did the page say noon PDT update today?

Is this an enforceable contract?
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: oball on July 31, 2008, 07:23:44 am
I guess that it got swapped out for the multiple blog copouts updates
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 31, 2008, 08:11:54 am
Well, like, at least we weren't charged three bucks a month for those particular cop-outs, right?

That's... something?
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: MrCB on July 31, 2008, 01:10:40 pm
The premium updates are at least quite amusing, and give me a way to take the edge off my Achewood jones while Onstad practices his entirely unpredictable posting schedule.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: wombat on July 31, 2008, 03:56:16 pm
I've decided I like the premium updates. Except, it's lonely over there. It's not as much fun without being able to discuss them with you guys.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: jay-ell on July 31, 2008, 04:30:24 pm
I feel like the premium updates are causing a greater-than-usual drag on the free stuff. 

If that's the way CO wants to play it, that's his game.  But considering that (as I understand his business model) most of his money comes from t-shirt sales and not from subscribers, I would venture to hazard a guess that letting the free content take a backseat the the subscriber content is less than beneficial to his income stream. 

Just a thought. 
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 31, 2008, 06:45:04 pm
Well, I'd imagine that there's the problem that... like...

A subscription thing creates the illusion of "steady income" even if that income is significantly less than the merch you'd be moving if you kept driving it with the free content that you built your business model on to begin with.

I'd imagine that "steady" seems really tempting when you have a larve to feed but, like, if people get into the GOF book and go to the website and find a trickle of new free content... oh man... you're shooting your momentum in the foot while kicking it in the nuts.

Ah. I don't know. I feel like I've spent my life preparing myself to handle success properly without ever really having the confidence to go through the succeeding part. Blah. I'm probably, like, projecting.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: dejavroom on July 31, 2008, 07:36:49 pm
I hate this new subscription-based content. It does look like a cheap copout. SMS updates? Too much commotion for a strip, I'd say. Makes me feel like I'm losing details and important information on Achewood, which wasn't exactly explanation-friendly to begin with. I might be wrong on that, granted. But in the end of the day what I'm sure of is that I miss the time when the strips came out more frequently. Sigh.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 31, 2008, 10:08:09 pm
So is the thing basically an onstad Twitter RSS or what
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: MrCB on August 01, 2008, 07:13:14 am
He posts longer stuff there than you can with a twitter feed.

Mainly, it seems to consist of random, non-canon, updates, sneak peaks of a single panel of the next strip, postings of panels he didn't use, or protracted commentary on the current arc - for example, we got the more detailed wedding and honey moon.

An example posting, from the wedding, for those who might take interest in such a thing:

"Roast Beef stared into the Eggs Benedict harder than Eggs Benedict have any business being stared into. He had to eat, but tension paralyzed his arms. He wouldn't make it through, or even to, the wedding if he did not eat. He screwed his courage to the sticking point and told himself that if he was strong enough to eat breakfast, he was strong enough to get married. Slowly, he cut away a small wedge of the egg, muffin, ham, and sauce. Ray watched in awe as the bite traveled, on the fork, through the air, slowly, into Roast Beef's mouth. He began to chew. A sensation not unlike morphine began to flow through his veins: nutrition. The fog of his anxiety began to lift."
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: Toaster on August 01, 2008, 10:35:05 am
Holy shit that is my fuck*ng life.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: wombat on August 01, 2008, 12:27:47 pm
I think it's interesting to get all these different perspectives - comic strip, first person blogs, third person stories in the subscription updates. There's no other comic artist that does that.

As for whether it's a good idea to make people pay for it... I have not needed one of his tshirts in a long time, so he's getting money from me that he wouldn't otherwise. But I am assuming it will eventually fail because so far these sorts of things always do. I guess that is a bad attitude, and if everyone was like this, civilization would not progress. It's worth a try, right?
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: MrCB on August 01, 2008, 01:19:33 pm
The core of the business is the comic, which is free. Without that what would all of the for-money stuff orbit around?

I do think that Wombat is right though, both about income from the store, and the longevity of a subscription service. I know that I've kicked Ostand a couple of hundred bucks in the three years or so since I've been reading, but what am I going to buy from him now? I'll get the new books that come out, and maybe the occasional T-Shirt, but that's it.

This subscription service, might run for a time, or it might not, but I think it's an interesting idea. It's a bit like getting the movie for free, but paying to get the directors cut.

Now, one thing I would love to see, would be a real premium product line. I'd happily pay quite a lot of money for a collection of all the strips, but in really high quality, hard bound into large books, with all the arcs reformatted to read as one long comic - such as he has done for the Cartilage Head poster. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Absolute Sandman volumes, which is going for $63 a volume on Amazon, with a list price of $99.

I guess that part of the problem is knowing the demographic of Achewood readers, and working out from there what sort of products and price points could appeal.

Anyone want to try an experiment and work out the demographic of TOUAMB? Post or PM your age, location and occupation and see what we come up with.

I'll start - 27, London, Finance.
Title: Re: 29th July 2008 - Clap
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2008, 01:38:59 pm
CB, that's a cool idea, but I think it would be best in a new post, with a poll.