The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on July 30, 2008, 07:30:08 pm

Title: Blog(s) of July 2008
Post by: CortJstr on July 30, 2008, 07:30:08 pm
http://mollysanders.blogspot.com/2008/07/i-got-my-mrs-in-rbk.html

Why would you even make a braising pot out of copper? I've never braised so maybe there's some fundamental part of it that I don't understand, but I thought that copper was mainly good for eggs.

Sulfur smoke and lady bits are things that should never be in the same sentence.
Title: Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
Post by: wombat on July 30, 2008, 07:47:35 pm
Return of the blogs, hooray!

So, I always thought that wedding gift registries kept track of whether someone had already bought the copper braising pot. I guess this is the misconception of someone who didn't have a wedding?
Title: Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
Post by: CortJstr on July 30, 2008, 08:08:08 pm
There are some people who print out the registry like days in advance so it's out of date at the store. The cashier at stores that exist solely for weddings like William Sonoma can scan the barcode on your printed registry and tell you if the thing you want to buy is already taken, but that relies on you telling the cashier you're shopping from a registry.

It's more of a problem at places like Target where they don't ask every single person if they're shopping off of a registry. I know my mom is the kind of person who will check out, then realize days later she forgot to hand the registry to the cashier because they never asked her for it.
Title: Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
Post by: CortJstr on July 30, 2008, 11:42:08 pm
http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2008/07/beef-is-back-in-town.html

The SO is obsessed with Mark Bittman ever since she got How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I'd never heard of him.
Title: Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
Post by: jay-ell on July 31, 2008, 01:19:51 am
I think Mark Bittman is a genius.  I like food that is not overdressed. 

I got How To Cook Everything as a wedding gift.  It might be the second-most used gift I received.  (The first would be our everyday dishes.)  And I didn't even register for it.  A foodie friend of mine sent it because she thought I'd enjoy it. 

And I do. 
Title: Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 31, 2008, 01:40:53 am
My old roommate had How to Cook Everything.  That book was awesome, didn't realize there was one for vegetarians, I should probably buy that.
Title: Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2008, 01:51:31 am
My old roommate had How to Cook Everything.  That book was awesome, didn't realize there was one for vegetarians, I should probably buy that.

The SO loves it. It's like 1,000 pages and she's constantly like, "well, Mark Bittman says..." Not that I'm not the sam way with Alton
Title: Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2008, 02:03:17 am
http://philippesblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-make-candy.html

Onstad seems determined to keep making me double-post today
Title: Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
Post by: MrCB on July 31, 2008, 01:13:04 pm
*sigh* Now I'm going to have to break out my Artisan Confectionery book and make candy this week. This does not bode well for my plan of losing a few pounds and buffing up some.
Title: Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
Post by: Drygioni on August 02, 2008, 12:37:08 pm
Is Onstad going to keep with the new sounding Beef? OR is something horrible going to happen that forces him to retreat into his shell with subsequent return of subdued, hesitant manner of speaking?

Gosh isn't it exciting.

I did like those blogs, was surprised to see them up actually. Feels like ages since we last had some written, look forward to more.