Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog(s) of July 2008  (Read 2568 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Blog(s) of July 2008
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:30:08 pm »

http://mollysanders.blogspot.com/2008/07/i-got-my-mrs-in-rbk.html

Why would you even make a braising pot out of copper? I've never braised so maybe there's some fundamental part of it that I don't understand, but I thought that copper was mainly good for eggs.

Sulfur smoke and lady bits are things that should never be in the same sentence.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 07:47:35 pm »

Return of the blogs, hooray!

So, I always thought that wedding gift registries kept track of whether someone had already bought the copper braising pot. I guess this is the misconception of someone who didn't have a wedding?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:08:08 pm »

There are some people who print out the registry like days in advance so it's out of date at the store. The cashier at stores that exist solely for weddings like William Sonoma can scan the barcode on your printed registry and tell you if the thing you want to buy is already taken, but that relies on you telling the cashier you're shopping from a registry.

It's more of a problem at places like Target where they don't ask every single person if they're shopping off of a registry. I know my mom is the kind of person who will check out, then realize days later she forgot to hand the registry to the cashier because they never asked her for it.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:42:08 pm »

http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2008/07/beef-is-back-in-town.html

The SO is obsessed with Mark Bittman ever since she got How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I'd never heard of him.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:19:51 am »

I think Mark Bittman is a genius.  I like food that is not overdressed. 

I got How To Cook Everything as a wedding gift.  It might be the second-most used gift I received.  (The first would be our everyday dishes.)  And I didn't even register for it.  A foodie friend of mine sent it because she thought I'd enjoy it. 

And I do. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 01:40:53 am »

My old roommate had How to Cook Everything.  That book was awesome, didn't realize there was one for vegetarians, I should probably buy that.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 01:51:31 am »

My old roommate had How to Cook Everything.  That book was awesome, didn't realize there was one for vegetarians, I should probably buy that.

The SO loves it. It's like 1,000 pages and she's constantly like, "well, Mark Bittman says..." Not that I'm not the sam way with Alton
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 02:03:17 am »

http://philippesblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-make-candy.html

Onstad seems determined to keep making me double-post today
Logged

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:13:04 pm »

*sigh* Now I'm going to have to break out my Artisan Confectionery book and make candy this week. This does not bode well for my plan of losing a few pounds and buffing up some.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Blog(s) of July 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 12:37:08 pm »

Is Onstad going to keep with the new sounding Beef? OR is something horrible going to happen that forces him to retreat into his shell with subsequent return of subdued, hesitant manner of speaking?

Gosh isn't it exciting.

I did like those blogs, was surprised to see them up actually. Feels like ages since we last had some written, look forward to more.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: [1]   Go Up