The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: oball on August 06, 2008, 09:53:16 pm

Title: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: oball on August 06, 2008, 09:53:16 pm
Achewood is now entirely a comic about having a baby. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08062008)
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: jaydub on August 06, 2008, 10:05:08 pm
Its always tough to judge when extreme circumstances merit suspension of ordinary rules of etiquette.  Fortunately, I rarely consult my manager in such events.  I'm decisive that way.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Am I avoiding the subject, or am I doing philosophy?
Post by: wombat on August 06, 2008, 10:12:24 pm
Beef's side of the argument makes perfect sense to me. I guess that's why I don't have children.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: Golfhaus on August 06, 2008, 10:41:38 pm
"But there is no bad time NOT to have a baby" is basically treasure. And I fully appreciate the irony of saying that with a pregnant Mrs. Haus next to me.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: CortJstr on August 06, 2008, 11:01:26 pm
An acquaintance of mine actually used the "we're not really prepared but poor people seem to do OK so we decided to just go for it" argument. Of course the couple were both huge indie-hipster eternally-in-grad-school douches.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 06, 2008, 11:18:44 pm
I am unable to imagine a scenario or point in my life where I will be willing to sign up for creating something that will yell at me for years and then take all of my money.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on August 06, 2008, 11:28:05 pm
You forget putting you in the Springfield Retirement Home in there.

That has already been promised (threatened) to me.

Have you been hit with the crooked home that they saw on 60 Minutes yet?
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: jay-ell on August 07, 2008, 01:04:47 am
That argument is not as bad as it seems. You can never be freaking ready, really.

And if you think you are HAHAHAHAHA! SURPRISE!

Uhhh, no. No you are not.

Is so true. 

I took drugs to help me get pregnant the first time, I was so "ready."  But I still had that "OH DAMN WHAT DID I DO" moment about twice a week for...

Hell, I STILL have those, and he's three and half, and I even did it again since then.  Now I look at them both and go..."How exactly did this happen...twice?" 

That's the miracle of children.  You love them to pieces, would give your whole life to save theirs, but you can't quite figure out why. 
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: oball on August 07, 2008, 01:13:19 am
By keeping your children alive until they have bred you are ensuring the propagation of your genetic material.

It's all in Dawkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selgiraffe_Gene), people.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 07, 2008, 01:21:59 am
That's the miracle of children.  You love them to pieces, would give your whole life to save theirs, but you can't quite figure out why. 

I'm still not seeing the upside here.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: colmore on August 07, 2008, 02:33:00 am
Quote
Of course the couple were both huge indie-hipster eternally-in-grad-school douches.

Wait.  I thought being loosely attached to a party subculture while having an educational institution foot most of the bill was 'winning your twenties' and not 'being a douche.'
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 07, 2008, 02:47:16 am
An acquaintance of mine actually used the "we're not really prepared but poor people seem to do OK so we decided to just go for it" argument. Of course the couple were both huge indie-hipster eternally-in-grad-school douches.
Jay Ell is not a douche. Take that back.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2008, 02:51:34 am
It is certainly possible to attend grad school and not be a douche. It's even possible to be a hipster and not be a douche. But these two take things to infuriating extremes. Plus they think they're better than you. And they haven't even met you. But they aren't afraid to tell you the many ways they are better.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 07, 2008, 03:34:52 am
Let us just admit that both of these things improve the chances of being a douche without necessarily guaranteeing douchehood.

(I have not been posting much lately because we went through a crisis where my brother had a seizure, the doctors briefly believed he had a malignant tumor which was then... re-examined down to a malformation of the veins in the brain that is potentially very dangerous but is basically quite treatable with a lot of work and time and seizure meds in the interm. So, like, I hope you did not miss my wordiness. The wordiness will slowly return.)
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: wombat on August 07, 2008, 11:43:33 am
Wait.  I thought being loosely attached to a party subculture while having an educational institution foot most of the bill was 'winning your twenties' and not 'being a douche.'

Are you saying there is some association between being in grad school and partying? WTF. Why didn't I go to that grad school? No one I know went to that grad school.

LFM, your brother has what that character in Six Feet Under had? I hated that show. The last thing I needed to know was that there were not only brain tumors to worry about, but strange things wrong with the veins in your brain. Hope he is OK.

Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2008, 12:06:49 pm
Are you saying there is some association between being in grad school and partying? WTF. Why didn't I go to that grad school? No one I know went to that grad school.


You shoulda gone to law school.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: colmore on August 07, 2008, 02:36:50 pm
There's certainly a population of irritating hipsters out there, but there's a population of irritating everyones out there.  But the whole response of "those young people dress differently from me and go to different parties.  They must be snobs." is quite smug and judgmental in an of itself.  It seems to walk hand in hand with the idea that people who like entertainment that I don't like must only enjoy it so they can feel superior to me.  Who is really forcing their tastes on whom here?

And yeah, if your goal for grad school isn't getting a tenured research post at a top-tier institution, it's a pretty flexible lifestyle.  Doubly so once you've finished quals.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: wombat on August 07, 2008, 02:48:48 pm
You shoulda gone to law school.

At least it would have taken two fewer years out of my life and actually provided some marketable skills... But I dunno. My lawyer friend spent at least three years having bar-exam flashbacks at that time of year. It sounded pretty traumatic.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: jay-ell on August 07, 2008, 04:15:58 pm
Quote from: CortJstr
Of course the couple were both huge indie-hipster eternally-in-grad-school douches.

Jay Ell is not a douche. Take that back.

But wait!  I'm not in grad school any more! 

So you can make fun of eternally-in-grad-school douches all you want, because I'M FREE!  I'M FREE! 

Muahahahahahahaha! 

Also, I'm neither indie nor hip. 
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2008, 04:18:32 pm
Also, I'm neither indie nor hip. 

The knitting and your blog beg to differ. You're what my lame acquaintances and IRP wish they could be.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: milhouse on August 07, 2008, 05:08:35 pm
ALSO: If you think they're douchebags now, wait until you get the interminable stories about, at first, how they are going about making their baby superior and then later, about how the superior things their superior baby is doing (mostly because of their genetics and influence).

ALSO ALSO ALSO: Asherbaby is a brawling, physical and mental sharpie who is surpassing wildest hopes developmentally. This does not make us better parents or people, this makes us GODDAMNED LUCKY and GRATEFUL.

My brother-in-law recently had a baby (well, actually his wife), but I'm constantly hearing about how she can do 'things' way ahead of normal babies. i.e She could fully articulate a seven series gas panel at 3 months, when they normally don't until 4 months. or 'She can chew food'.  :o
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: jay-ell on August 07, 2008, 05:26:45 pm
Here's a secret: "The books" list the ages at which your baby should be able to do things towards the end of the typical age range, so as not to worry first-time parents. 

For instance: According to the books, "most babies" take their first steps within a month of their first birthdays.  My son walked at ten months.  I walked at ten months.  My brother walked at nine.  (That is, actually, rather early.)  Pedro and his brothers didn't walk until they were closer to fourteen months.  None of them are disabled.   But if the books said that your baby might start walking as early as nine months, 85% of first-time parents would be knocking down their pediatrician's doors asking to have their kids evaluated for global developmental delays. 

The good news is that most people's kids fall into a "normal" range, and if your kid does something early, good on you -- but he'll probably do something else late. 

Don't tell new parents, that, though. 

In other news, my daughter is sitting unassisted at only six months!  She's so advanced! 
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 07, 2008, 06:03:23 pm
I walked at 9 months old. And I did it in style.  I crawled on top of the dining room table and walked around on it. Scared the shit out of everyone.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: wombat on August 07, 2008, 06:03:47 pm
Jeez, what is the rush? They will be walking their whole lives and eventually wondering when the hell they'll get a minute to sit down and relax.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2008, 06:45:34 pm
My sister's boy Connor constantly impresses me (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2710667363/).
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 07, 2008, 08:50:20 pm
I don't know that Paul is a stoner, but still, I see him as an Uncle Gonzo (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38567) type.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: jay-ell on August 08, 2008, 01:18:33 am
Paul, you have got an awesome nephew there. 
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 08, 2008, 02:14:06 am
My sister's boy Connor constantly impresses me (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2710667363/).
Wouldnt it have been more impressive if he wrote his name on the tag before sticking it on his chest?
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: jay-ell on August 08, 2008, 02:26:35 am
What fun is that?   
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: pmcd9 on August 08, 2008, 04:34:43 am
Well you know a-cap, what you say is true, but his problem solving skills were mighty impressive.

Thanks JL.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: Doc on August 08, 2008, 04:40:59 am
No way, he knew that was the harder way to do it but that's how he rolls, always looking for another challenge.

My parents love to remind me that I never crawled, I used to just roll everywhere. Apparently I got stuck under sofas and stuff a lot.
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: jay-ell on August 08, 2008, 04:58:16 pm
I never got the hang of crawling forward.  I would scoot backwards until my butt hit whatever I wanted to get to, then I'd sit up and turn around. 

Problem-solving. 
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: jaydub on August 08, 2008, 05:11:53 pm
I didn't crawl either - I did this weird inchworm thing that involved arching up onto knees and hands, then flopping down and throwing up a little.  My mom delighted in describing this to new girlfriends. 
Title: Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
Post by: Doc on August 09, 2008, 12:52:27 am
Naked bald Asherdan pictures. Telling 'em my Dad called me 'Uncle Fester' because of the dang lightbulb baby head. Nakedness. Cowboy hats. Hornrims with rose coloured lenses.
Ash had interesting teenage years.