Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender  (Read 5251 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 12:06:49 pm »

Are you saying there is some association between being in grad school and partying? WTF. Why didn't I go to that grad school? No one I know went to that grad school.


You shoulda gone to law school.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 02:36:50 pm »

There's certainly a population of irritating hipsters out there, but there's a population of irritating everyones out there.  But the whole response of "those young people dress differently from me and go to different parties.  They must be snobs." is quite smug and judgmental in an of itself.  It seems to walk hand in hand with the idea that people who like entertainment that I don't like must only enjoy it so they can feel superior to me.  Who is really forcing their tastes on whom here?

And yeah, if your goal for grad school isn't getting a tenured research post at a top-tier institution, it's a pretty flexible lifestyle.  Doubly so once you've finished quals.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 02:48:48 pm »

You shoulda gone to law school.

At least it would have taken two fewer years out of my life and actually provided some marketable skills... But I dunno. My lawyer friend spent at least three years having bar-exam flashbacks at that time of year. It sounded pretty traumatic.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 04:15:58 pm »

Quote from: CortJstr
Of course the couple were both huge indie-hipster eternally-in-grad-school douches.

Jay Ell is not a douche. Take that back.

But wait!  I'm not in grad school any more! 

So you can make fun of eternally-in-grad-school douches all you want, because I'M FREE!  I'M FREE! 

Muahahahahahahaha! 

Also, I'm neither indie nor hip. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 04:18:32 pm »

Also, I'm neither indie nor hip. 

The knitting and your blog beg to differ. You're what my lame acquaintances and IRP wish they could be.
Logged

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 05:08:35 pm »

ALSO: If you think they're douchebags now, wait until you get the interminable stories about, at first, how they are going about making their baby superior and then later, about how the superior things their superior baby is doing (mostly because of their genetics and influence).

ALSO ALSO ALSO: Asherbaby is a brawling, physical and mental sharpie who is surpassing wildest hopes developmentally. This does not make us better parents or people, this makes us GODDAMNED LUCKY and GRATEFUL.

My brother-in-law recently had a baby (well, actually his wife), but I'm constantly hearing about how she can do 'things' way ahead of normal babies. i.e She could fully articulate a seven series gas panel at 3 months, when they normally don't until 4 months. or 'She can chew food'.  :o
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 05:26:45 pm »

Here's a secret: "The books" list the ages at which your baby should be able to do things towards the end of the typical age range, so as not to worry first-time parents. 

For instance: According to the books, "most babies" take their first steps within a month of their first birthdays.  My son walked at ten months.  I walked at ten months.  My brother walked at nine.  (That is, actually, rather early.)  Pedro and his brothers didn't walk until they were closer to fourteen months.  None of them are disabled.   But if the books said that your baby might start walking as early as nine months, 85% of first-time parents would be knocking down their pediatrician's doors asking to have their kids evaluated for global developmental delays. 

The good news is that most people's kids fall into a "normal" range, and if your kid does something early, good on you -- but he'll probably do something else late. 

Don't tell new parents, that, though. 

In other news, my daughter is sitting unassisted at only six months!  She's so advanced! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 06:03:23 pm »

I walked at 9 months old. And I did it in style.  I crawled on top of the dining room table and walked around on it. Scared the shit out of everyone.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:07:08 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 06:03:47 pm »

Jeez, what is the rush? They will be walking their whole lives and eventually wondering when the hell they'll get a minute to sit down and relax.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 06:45:34 pm »

My sister's boy Connor constantly impresses me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 08:50:20 pm »

I don't know that Paul is a stoner, but still, I see him as an Uncle Gonzo type.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 01:18:33 am »

Paul, you have got an awesome nephew there. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 02:14:06 am »

My sister's boy Connor constantly impresses me.
Wouldnt it have been more impressive if he wrote his name on the tag before sticking it on his chest?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 02:26:35 am »

What fun is that?   
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: August 6, 2008 - Ted Kaczynski on a three-day Jäger bender
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 04:34:43 am »

Well you know a-cap, what you say is true, but his problem solving skills were mighty impressive.

Thanks JL.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up