The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on August 18, 2008, 04:14:02 pm

Title: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: jay-ell on August 18, 2008, 04:14:02 pm
Is there any interest in me creating a private forum to serve as a virtual writer's workshop?  Since there are so many of us who are writing for fun and profit around here, it seems natural to have a place where we can discuss our work without bothering anyone else or having half-finished essays out where anybody can see and poke at them.  I'd love to read a scene from smells' newest play or a chapter from LFM's book, for example, or an anthropology paper inev's been working on, but I'd also love being able to say, "Here's an article I wrote, how can I improve it before I pitch it to the Washington Post?" and get the kind of well thought-out constructive criticism that you guys are so good at generating. 

Anybody else up for it?  I think four is enough to make it worthwhile, but the more the merrier. 
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: wombat on August 18, 2008, 04:53:02 pm
I'd be happy to critique other people's stuff, it beats working.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 18, 2008, 04:53:58 pm
Can we do poetry or song lyrics or whatever?  I would be in if so.  I mean, if I can be.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: jay-ell on August 18, 2008, 05:04:00 pm
Anything!  Anything, anything. 

Awesome. 
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: theinevitable on August 18, 2008, 06:10:34 pm
I would totally be into this. I would want to post my short story that I wrote as my final project in my fiction class... because I can tell it still has a lot of issues, and I know that parts of it blow, but my professor never sent me his final comments.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 19, 2008, 02:02:09 am
When I'm more comfortable with what I'm doing with the book... a few things have gone weird in my life and slowed a dude up on the idea of transcribing notepages into doc-files... I would love to participate in such an endeavour.

And I'd give honest feedback to whoever wanted any.

I'd deifinitely be down.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: jough on August 19, 2008, 02:23:44 am
I'd be down, although my stuff's weird and very, very few people really like it.

I'm fine with that.

I'd be happy to give some feedback on others' work, though.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 19, 2008, 02:33:10 am
I am okay with being a part of something like this.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: theinevitable on August 19, 2008, 02:42:15 am
also I just wrote it all down and I have 9 songs that I have written, but only one has lyrics. So really what I have is 9 outlines of songs that I need to put lyrics on. I am working on this.
it was fun trying to make a list of songs when I cannot name them.
they ended up with names like... "that one that is actually exactly the same as down by the river, by accident" and "the one with the cmaj7/G."
Also I ended up giving some of them depressing names like "the one that sounds like modest penis" even though I don't like modest penis, etc.

On some level I am kind of proud of myself that every time I start playing guitar, I end up accidentally playing a song.
"oh, oops. that's "Slow Ride." Dang."
But it gets frustrating.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: Doc on August 19, 2008, 04:54:50 am
I'd be interested in this, mainly to read what you talented folks have got going but I might have something coming up soon where I'd be interested in getting feedback from you guys as well.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: side_show on August 19, 2008, 05:04:15 am
I am going to a script workshop all next week.  One where I am the only writer, and there are directors, a dramaturge, actors, set and costume designers and such.  I'm looking forward to the work, but not looking forward to being away from home during such a critical time in my life.  It is entirely exhausting to do table readings all day, write all night, sleep in my never-feels-right hotel bed, then do it all again for a week straight.  After that I am in heavy rewrites/dramaturgy until production time in November.  I don't forsee myself doing any other writing in between, or wanting to bring the office home (even though they're already the same damn place as it is).  At least not right now.  

After December I am looking to take a break from playwriting, focus on directing and getting my own theatre company running, and also to return to poetry and possibly tackle my first Novel.  I would love to take part then.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 19, 2008, 06:42:17 am
Ah, workshopping... I'm so sorry, ss.

I have a tendency to fight off suggestions I don't like with the most ridiculous counteridea I can possibly come up with and...

What sucks is when people love those ideas.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: dejavroom on August 19, 2008, 05:29:02 pm
I want to opine!

Won't be contributing none, because all written in Portuguese, though. But I'm trying to finish a hahaha novel, so who knows, at a certain point ahead I might translate one chapter to put there (if not for literary value, at least for unintended translation humor).
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 19, 2008, 10:08:27 pm
So like, how would this work?  I think it would be way sweeter if we were in like private groups of 4 or 5 since there is so much interest.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: jay-ell on August 19, 2008, 11:47:19 pm
Gimmie a day.  I'm getting it set up. 
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: theinevitable on August 20, 2008, 09:42:14 pm
maybe I will post an mp3 of the awesome guitar riff I just came up with.

it's one of those things where... it's probably an ACDC song I just haven't heard. Because it is so PURE in its ridiculous rockingness.

I am going to get my friend and roommate Karl to make up some words for it. When we get together we get hell of creative at being really over the top. We will listen to Motorhead and ACDC and stuff for an hour or so and then just spit out some awesome rhymes about how we're dangerous baby, you'd better get out of the way-ay-ay.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: theinevitable on August 20, 2008, 11:09:35 pm
yeah. um.

come to find out, I accidentally wrote the main guitar part to Ma Ma Belle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5xJmTiIw8).

I am still pretty proud I came up with something that rockin', though.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: jaydub on August 20, 2008, 11:18:28 pm
yeah. um.

come to find out, I accidentally wrote the main guitar part to Ma Ma Belle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5xJmTiIw8).

I am still pretty proud I came up with something that rockin', though.

What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.
- Ecclesiastes 1:9

All that is now,
All that is gone,
All that's to come,
and everything under the sun is in tune,
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.
- Eclipse (Pink Floyd)

edit:  I have no idea what Roger Waters is saying there, but the Ecclesiastes quote jogged it out of my memory

Also:  Right on, inev!
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: Doc on August 21, 2008, 07:56:00 am
I think Mr. Waters ripped of Ecclesiastes.

I know nothing about music Inev, except that whenever I hear something good it takes about 10 minutes for me to hear about how it's ripping off someone or other so I think worrying that your stuff sounds too much like someone else is a waste of time, just rock the fuck out and hook us up with the free mp3 action.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 21, 2008, 08:09:27 am
This whole line of thinking reminds me of how much I need to mash up Neil Young's "Walk On" offa On The Beach and the Beatles "I've Got A Feeling" because it would be just fuck*ng perfect... and then I remember that I don't know how to mash up songs other than to have ideas toward that point.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 21, 2008, 08:39:04 am
I've got nothing to add here, but these are the posts that make LFM great.  For, like, the whole thing...
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: theinevitable on August 21, 2008, 05:19:08 pm
Doc-- the main reason I worry about this stuff is that I do it so blatantly without being aware of it.

As in, I had been listening to Ma Ma Belle the day before, and I didn't realize that I had just made the same guitar riff until another day later. And now that I realized that, any uniqueness I had injected into the song is gone, because now when I try to play what I came up with, I turn it into exactly Ma Ma Belle without meaning to.

I mean, this isn't as embarrassing as when I accidentally wrote a Jewel song, at least.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: CortJstr on August 21, 2008, 05:26:09 pm
Doc-- the main reason I worry about this stuff is that I do it so blatantly without being aware of it.

As in, I had been listening to Ma Ma Belle the day before, and I didn't realize that I had just made the same guitar riff until another day later. And now that I realized that, any uniqueness I had injected into the song is gone, because now when I try to play what I came up with, I turn it into exactly Ma Ma Belle without meaning to.

I mean, this isn't as embarrassing as when I accidentally wrote a Jewel song, at least.


I've never heard of Ma Ma Belle, but I'm still going to have to agree with this statement.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 21, 2008, 06:02:40 pm
I don't know if you CAN write a Jewel song on purpose.

I think there's just... a chart and the longer you avoid going to a dentist, the better the chances you have of accidentally writing a Jewel song.

One of those graphs that's just a diagonal line, going up and to the right forever.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: theinevitable on August 21, 2008, 06:13:51 pm
cort, it is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5xJmTiIw8) and it's pretty great.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: CortJstr on August 21, 2008, 10:48:52 pm
cort, it is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5xJmTiIw8) and it's pretty great.

Ah, from context I thought you were talking about a new band called Ma Ma Belle.

I think you should accidentally write Bittersweet Symphony just to see who sues you first, The Verve or Rolling Stones.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: Golfhaus on August 21, 2008, 11:09:02 pm
Ah, from context I thought you were talking about a new band called Ma Ma Belle.

I think you should accidentally write Bittersweet Symphony just to see who sues you first, The Verve or Rolling Stones.

Perhaps the energy would richochet and break up the Stones this time.

cort, it is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK5xJmTiIw8) and it's pretty great.

I got into ELO my senior year of high school. My girlfriend's mom was an ELO fan in high school, and thought it was so neat that one of the kids liked them too that she immediately proclaimed me the favorite of the guys she had dated and allowed her daughter more freedom with me than with anyone else she had dated before.

Which is how I got to nail her. God Bless You, Jeff Lynne.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: CortJstr on August 21, 2008, 11:11:56 pm
Perhaps the energy would richochet and break up the Stones this time.

Apparently The Verve just put out their 4th album. Who knew? Now through the power of association I kind of want to listen to some Verve Pipe. I used to really like Photograph. But I hated the hell out of Freshman.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: Golfhaus on August 21, 2008, 11:18:42 pm
Apparently The Verve just put out their 4th album. Who knew? Now through the power of association I kind of want to listen to some Verve Pipe. I used to really like Photograph. But I hated the hell out of Freshman.

Yeah, and they just broke up again, apparently. The pain of Bittersweet Symphony runs deep.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: Doc on August 21, 2008, 11:22:09 pm
I mean, this isn't as embarrassing as when I accidentally wrote a Jewel song, at least.

Yeah that's not so cool.

I guess the only solution is to stop listening to music forever.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: theinevitable on August 22, 2008, 04:07:10 am
I am into ELO because my roommate and I have sessions where we drive around St Louis just listening to ELO and Black Sabbath and Motorhead and... I don't know. Stuff. ELO doesn't really fit in with those bands, I realize.
In his free time, he listens to ambient techno, and heavy metal. I don't get either of those things, so, it is fun.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: pmcd9 on August 23, 2008, 05:09:44 am
It's alright Inev, everyone writes Ma Ma Belle at some point or another.  It's a rocking song.

ELO was the one of the first concerts I ever attended at the age of 13 I think, with my Sister and both of my parents.  My Dad loved ELO, still does.  Rare Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFBLYuM7y4g) opened the show.

On a side note, my Dad called me today asking about the lyrics to a song he had stuck in his head.  It was Rikki Don't Lose that Number.  I played the song for him and said the lyrics to him.  "I've had this song in my head all day, but I can't remember the lyrics, thanks." 
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: jay-ell on August 24, 2008, 06:07:29 pm
*grabs topic with both hands, pulls it back on track*

So I'm going to sticky this topic, and anyone who wants in later can post here and I'll grant permission.  I'm adding s_s even though she's too busy now so that I don't forget after the wedding.  We'll see you there when you have time, smells. 

If you don't have access by Monday and you want it, post here and I'll add you. 
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: Ruta Bagas on August 24, 2008, 10:23:15 pm
I have been away for a while but I would like to be a Participant in these shenanigans. Because as Sir Philip Sidney said, writing stuff is the shit.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: jough on August 24, 2008, 10:26:02 pm
Word.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: alreadyinuse on October 13, 2009, 09:45:11 pm
I'd be down, although my stuff's weird and very, very few people really like it.

I'm fine with that.

I'd be happy to give some feedback on others' work, though.
Title: Re: Writer's Workshop?
Post by: smick on October 13, 2009, 10:06:00 pm
You're going to need a time machine to take part.