Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Writer's Workshop?  (Read 7993 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 09:42:14 pm »

maybe I will post an mp3 of the awesome guitar riff I just came up with.

it's one of those things where... it's probably an ACDC song I just haven't heard. Because it is so PURE in its ridiculous rockingness.

I am going to get my friend and roommate Karl to make up some words for it. When we get together we get hell of creative at being really over the top. We will listen to Motorhead and ACDC and stuff for an hour or so and then just spit out some awesome rhymes about how we're dangerous baby, you'd better get out of the way-ay-ay.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 11:09:35 pm »

yeah. um.

come to find out, I accidentally wrote the main guitar part to Ma Ma Belle.

I am still pretty proud I came up with something that rockin', though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 11:18:28 pm »

yeah. um.

come to find out, I accidentally wrote the main guitar part to Ma Ma Belle.

I am still pretty proud I came up with something that rockin', though.

What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.
- Ecclesiastes 1:9

All that is now,
All that is gone,
All that's to come,
and everything under the sun is in tune,
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.
- Eclipse (Pink Floyd)

edit:  I have no idea what Roger Waters is saying there, but the Ecclesiastes quote jogged it out of my memory

Also:  Right on, inev!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 07:56:00 am »

I think Mr. Waters ripped of Ecclesiastes.

I know nothing about music Inev, except that whenever I hear something good it takes about 10 minutes for me to hear about how it's ripping off someone or other so I think worrying that your stuff sounds too much like someone else is a waste of time, just rock the fuck out and hook us up with the free mp3 action.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 08:09:27 am »

This whole line of thinking reminds me of how much I need to mash up Neil Young's "Walk On" offa On The Beach and the Beatles "I've Got A Feeling" because it would be just fuck*ng perfect... and then I remember that I don't know how to mash up songs other than to have ideas toward that point.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 08:39:04 am »

I've got nothing to add here, but these are the posts that make LFM great.  For, like, the whole thing...
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 05:19:08 pm »

Doc-- the main reason I worry about this stuff is that I do it so blatantly without being aware of it.

As in, I had been listening to Ma Ma Belle the day before, and I didn't realize that I had just made the same guitar riff until another day later. And now that I realized that, any uniqueness I had injected into the song is gone, because now when I try to play what I came up with, I turn it into exactly Ma Ma Belle without meaning to.

I mean, this isn't as embarrassing as when I accidentally wrote a Jewel song, at least.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 05:26:09 pm »

Doc-- the main reason I worry about this stuff is that I do it so blatantly without being aware of it.

As in, I had been listening to Ma Ma Belle the day before, and I didn't realize that I had just made the same guitar riff until another day later. And now that I realized that, any uniqueness I had injected into the song is gone, because now when I try to play what I came up with, I turn it into exactly Ma Ma Belle without meaning to.

I mean, this isn't as embarrassing as when I accidentally wrote a Jewel song, at least.


I've never heard of Ma Ma Belle, but I'm still going to have to agree with this statement.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 06:02:40 pm »

I don't know if you CAN write a Jewel song on purpose.

I think there's just... a chart and the longer you avoid going to a dentist, the better the chances you have of accidentally writing a Jewel song.

One of those graphs that's just a diagonal line, going up and to the right forever.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 06:13:51 pm »

cort, it is here and it's pretty great.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 10:48:52 pm »

cort, it is here and it's pretty great.

Ah, from context I thought you were talking about a new band called Ma Ma Belle.

I think you should accidentally write Bittersweet Symphony just to see who sues you first, The Verve or Rolling Stones.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 11:09:02 pm »

Ah, from context I thought you were talking about a new band called Ma Ma Belle.

I think you should accidentally write Bittersweet Symphony just to see who sues you first, The Verve or Rolling Stones.

Perhaps the energy would richochet and break up the Stones this time.

cort, it is here and it's pretty great.

I got into ELO my senior year of high school. My girlfriend's mom was an ELO fan in high school, and thought it was so neat that one of the kids liked them too that she immediately proclaimed me the favorite of the guys she had dated and allowed her daughter more freedom with me than with anyone else she had dated before.

Which is how I got to nail her. God Bless You, Jeff Lynne.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 11:11:56 pm »

Perhaps the energy would richochet and break up the Stones this time.

Apparently The Verve just put out their 4th album. Who knew? Now through the power of association I kind of want to listen to some Verve Pipe. I used to really like Photograph. But I hated the hell out of Freshman.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 11:18:42 pm »

Apparently The Verve just put out their 4th album. Who knew? Now through the power of association I kind of want to listen to some Verve Pipe. I used to really like Photograph. But I hated the hell out of Freshman.

Yeah, and they just broke up again, apparently. The pain of Bittersweet Symphony runs deep.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Writer's Workshop?
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 11:22:09 pm »

I mean, this isn't as embarrassing as when I accidentally wrote a Jewel song, at least.

Yeah that's not so cool.

I guess the only solution is to stop listening to music forever.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up