The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Cap'n Squeakers on September 03, 2008, 06:57:50 pm

Title: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on September 03, 2008, 06:57:50 pm
Special 8-page Color Dark hoss comic (http://tiA-CAPrl.com/5dm7xf)

As with faux-mexican food, the more adjectives one puts in front of an Achewood comic, the less satisfying it will be.
Lots of words (salt) but not much comedy (quality beans) in this one, I am sad to say.  Although I did enjoy the matching track suits.   This... pleases me.

I apologize for the broken link, but the asinine word filter on this board changes H-O-R-S-E to HOSS, even inside urls.  That is some amateur shenanigans right there.



[edit: replaced url with a tiA-CAPrl to bypass the filter - Cort]
[edit the 2nd: FUCK! There's a filter on that, too! - Cort]
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: AugustWest on September 03, 2008, 07:06:34 pm
meh.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Limmo on September 03, 2008, 07:30:43 pm
That was a lot of effort for not much funny.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 03, 2008, 08:13:36 pm
Im not saying it was worth all the build up, but that final frame brightened my day.
"I thought YOU were gonna benefit the nation, dogg! Turns out you're just gonna electively throw up six pounds of tacos in my Caddy. I thought tonight was gonna be different, T"

[P.S. "electively" is not an actual word. He made that word up.]
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2008, 08:29:47 pm
Did we all read the same comic?

Onstad is to sentence technology what hell is to places where the damned dwell.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: jaydub on September 03, 2008, 08:58:41 pm
I want a kiss from Churchill's liver.
The correct thread title, IMO.

Also: what happened to the stone-y eyes?  Were they actually smoking tobacco in the bong?
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: memnarch on September 03, 2008, 11:03:26 pm
It's possible that their overindulgent feast of imitation Mexican cuisine caused their high to wear off. Then again, I've never smoked pot, but I know plenty of people who have....

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Color strips are a rarity in Achewood, so that alone was nice to see. I also loved the whole tracksuit/fondue preparations. Only a stoned Teodor and Beef would think they needed fondue materials on a road trip.

Finally, is "japans" really a word? I've tried finding it, but to no avail!
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Ruta Bagas on September 03, 2008, 11:25:01 pm
I enjoyed the thing the RSS feed told me was not a strip a little more than the comic itself. Not that I didn't enjoy the latter, you understand. I just saw new Achewood and wasn't prepared for the long-form version, which is (appropriately) different in character as well as in length.

Perhaps I will read it again when I'm more in the mood. But I'm not exactly going to make it a priority.

I will sum up my response using the Gauntlet of Emotion.

(http://i36.tinypic.com/2rpfgco.jpg)
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: CortJstr on September 03, 2008, 11:59:32 pm
Well now that I've completely fucked up the 1st post, let me say I enjoyed this, despite viewing it requiring turning down 27 cookies from myspace and guessing which of the 3 flash objects contained the actual comic.

Did their "one of everything" order include items from the secret "breast man" menu?
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: dejavroom on September 04, 2008, 12:30:30 am
"We could show the world that we all just havin' a fine old time here in America, thank you very much! This could be the trip to Taco Bell that saves the nation!".

Ray's plans always seem like the epitome of rationality when I'm stoned. Ah, the magical weed wavelength...
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Toaster on September 04, 2008, 12:58:57 am
I try to make my blog have an "eternal quality", but I am lucid enough to realize that I am too young to make it happen. The gland in my brain that creates sentences has a few more years left to mature.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 04, 2008, 01:34:23 am
Cats get stoned, drive around aimlessly, eat fast food, and it makes them sick! Ha! Ha! Ha! It is the funny!
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: jaydub on September 04, 2008, 01:51:26 am
I'm pretty fond of the Patrón Añejo as my top shelf style tequila.  The Silver the boys seem to have taken is like tequila vodka - distilled within an inch of its life and bottled.  Might as well be vodka.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 04, 2008, 03:11:00 am
Dammit, the two best lines from this were "Hawks are amazing birds, but I don't 'believe' in them. That's where you run into problems", and "Who wants to go to high school…IN MY #####!", and neither of those were actually in the strip proper.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 04, 2008, 03:22:33 am
Yeah I read this right when I woke up (never a good time for me) and thought it was okay, pretty funny, nothing to post about or anything.  As much as I sometimes privately dislike you people(momentarily of course) for being all down on Onstad all the time, Achewood is, well, not at it's peak anymore.  (on the other hand, you all are fools for not digging the sandwich wars, that is amazing)  However, I went back a few hours ago and the Hawk line, which I didn't notice earlier, made me laugh out loud for at least 30 seconds.  Not bad at all.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Toaster on September 04, 2008, 03:29:28 am
What does it mean to go to high school in someone's #####?

I want to know. I want to know so I can use this phrase correctly.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2008, 04:16:15 am
What does it mean to go to high school in someone's ******?

I want to know. I want to know so I can use this phrase correctly.

You just use it any old way you want and the Good Lord God will provide.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: colmore on September 04, 2008, 04:39:52 am
So my computer isn't fast enough to battle Myspace's powerfull wall of bullshit (defender, reach, 0/5). I'll have an opinion on this tomorrow, I guess.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 04, 2008, 04:48:58 am
Myspace is a hellacious pit of the internet that has been refined in the parameters of facebook. I find myspace to be like a giant banner ad from the 1990's with
flashing scrolling text and animated gifs[/glow][/color]
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 04, 2008, 08:16:06 am
There are good things to be said for this. Small jewels but... I mean, cheap as free and all that.

"Where did my jazz go?" is a question I've been asking myself at every moment since I was twelve and learned the difference between jazz and not-jazz... and that I was fundamentally not-jazz most of the time, just like everyone.

"Alton Brown said so!" is a statement I make a lot when I'm about to do something not lazy in the act of cooking... and then I ignore it completely.

In general, also, this is something my brother and I do pretty often... just going to a fast food place and freestyling an absurd order to see if people will question us... and if we can eat it all if we've managed to blow their MINDS into just going along with it. We call it "shooting up the place" for reasons I don't completely understand. If questioned, we say "we're having a party" and see if they laugh.

They always sell us the food, though. This is America, after all, after everything.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Doc on September 04, 2008, 08:39:44 am
I feel like this was meant to be a kind of Achewood primer for Dark hoss, we're getting all the little traits that we love and only come out one at a time all in a rush and that kind of spoils things. There's a reason not believing in Hawks was part of the teaser for the regular Achewood readers but not in the final draft is what I'm saying.

Felt a lot of promise in the first couple of pages, especially 'This pleases me' but it just went stale after that.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: wombat on September 04, 2008, 11:51:17 am
Myspace is a hellacious pit of the internet that has been refined in the parameters of facebook.

I am relieved to find that there is a segment of the Youth of America that feels this way. Maybe there is hope after all.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Doc on September 04, 2008, 11:56:01 am
I am relieved to find that there is a segment of the Youth of America that feels this way. Maybe there is hope after all.

I think it's a fairly widely spread view, at least among 20 somethings and late teens who can still remember 1998. Whoever thought tiled backgrounds and embedded music was an idea that needed another chance will be the first one up against the wall when the revolution comes.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2008, 12:45:56 pm

"Alton Brown said so!" is a statement I make a lot when I'm about to do something not lazy in the act of cooking... and then I ignore it completely.


OK, I did like that.  Because I say that too.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: CortJstr on September 04, 2008, 01:04:35 pm
So my computer isn't fast enough to battle Myspace's powerfull wall of bullshit (defender, reach, 0/5). I'll have an opinion on this tomorrow, I guess.

Dude, Flashblock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433). I didn't even know Myspace pages were supposed to automatically start playing music until like a week ago because of this add-on.

I remember actually winning an argument on Dumbrella because of Alton. Somebody was saying all pre-packaged spice blends were evil and a few of us were like, "but Old Bay is awesome!" When we pointed out Alton uses it on tv and in his book the guy was like, "Oh. Well why didn't you just that at the beginning."
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 04, 2008, 01:46:31 pm
I for one quite enjoyed this.

"Alton Brown said so!" is a statement I make a lot when I'm about to do something not lazy in the act of cooking... and then I ignore it completely.

I myself have wondered about the validity of Alton's statement that you just need to drink enough water to purge the excess salt.  Usually he says things that make a lot of sense, but it kind of flies in the face of any number of doctors and dieticians saying too much salt is bad for you.  Not that doctors and dieticians are omnicapable; they've certainly been proven wrong before.  I just... I just don't know. 

I do know I like salty food though.

Also:  kidneys::accordions.  HA
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: jaydub on September 04, 2008, 04:40:42 pm
Finally, is "japans" really a word? I've tried finding it, but to no avail!
From the Oxford English Dictionary (unabridged, online)
1. v. trans. To lacquer with japan1; to varnish with any material that gives a hard black gloss.

referencing
1  n. (a.) a. A varnish of exceptional hardness, which originally came from Japan. The name is now extended to other varnishes of a like sort, esp. to  (a) a black varnish obtained by cooking asphaltum with linseed oil, used for producing a black gloss on metal and other materials;   (b) a varnish-like liquid made from shellac, linseed-oil and turpentine, and used as a medium in which to grind colours and for drying pigments.

Asphaltum?  Who talks like that?
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Turbo Ninja on September 04, 2008, 06:23:04 pm
Asphaltum?  Who talks like that?

Same people who'd use lowercase-j "japan" as a verb or noun.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: colmore on September 04, 2008, 09:57:38 pm
I've heard of women getting their nails japaned.  This might have been in a novel set in decades past.

As to myspace, facebook, etc.  I can't handle those things.  Too much like keeping an up-to-date obituary handy.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: pmcd9 on September 06, 2008, 04:48:21 am
I found out today my Mother has a myspace account.  She is 70.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: wombat on September 06, 2008, 12:24:24 pm
Paul's 70 year old mother having a Myspace account makes perfect sense to me.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 06, 2008, 01:14:57 pm
I found out today my Mother has a myspace account.  She is 70.

Please tell me she has the same moustache (due to gender restrictions, a falsie is permissible) on her profile photo.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: jaydub on September 07, 2008, 02:29:44 am
My mental construction of Paul's mom is strongly influenced by her Flickr avatar, which is a picture of her at about age 7.  No moustache.
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: colmore on September 07, 2008, 04:20:38 pm
A friend of mine's Mom has a hilarious sense of humor.  She's on Facebook and her relationship to her son is "hooked up once."
Title: Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2008, 01:04:53 am
Sorry to disappoint, but no moustache (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2355834508/).