Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos  (Read 7134 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 03:29:28 am »

What does it mean to go to high school in someone's #####?

I want to know. I want to know so I can use this phrase correctly.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 04:16:15 am »

What does it mean to go to high school in someone's ******?

I want to know. I want to know so I can use this phrase correctly.

You just use it any old way you want and the Good Lord God will provide.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 04:39:52 am »

So my computer isn't fast enough to battle Myspace's powerfull wall of bullshit (defender, reach, 0/5). I'll have an opinion on this tomorrow, I guess.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 04:48:58 am »

Myspace is a hellacious pit of the internet that has been refined in the parameters of facebook. I find myspace to be like a giant banner ad from the 1990's with flashing scrolling text and animated gifs[/glow][/color]
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 08:16:06 am »

There are good things to be said for this. Small jewels but... I mean, cheap as free and all that.

"Where did my jazz go?" is a question I've been asking myself at every moment since I was twelve and learned the difference between jazz and not-jazz... and that I was fundamentally not-jazz most of the time, just like everyone.

"Alton Brown said so!" is a statement I make a lot when I'm about to do something not lazy in the act of cooking... and then I ignore it completely.

In general, also, this is something my brother and I do pretty often... just going to a fast food place and freestyling an absurd order to see if people will question us... and if we can eat it all if we've managed to blow their MINDS into just going along with it. We call it "shooting up the place" for reasons I don't completely understand. If questioned, we say "we're having a party" and see if they laugh.

They always sell us the food, though. This is America, after all, after everything.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 08:39:44 am »

I feel like this was meant to be a kind of Achewood primer for Dark hoss, we're getting all the little traits that we love and only come out one at a time all in a rush and that kind of spoils things. There's a reason not believing in Hawks was part of the teaser for the regular Achewood readers but not in the final draft is what I'm saying.

Felt a lot of promise in the first couple of pages, especially 'This pleases me' but it just went stale after that.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 11:51:17 am »

Myspace is a hellacious pit of the internet that has been refined in the parameters of facebook.

I am relieved to find that there is a segment of the Youth of America that feels this way. Maybe there is hope after all.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 11:56:01 am »

I am relieved to find that there is a segment of the Youth of America that feels this way. Maybe there is hope after all.

I think it's a fairly widely spread view, at least among 20 somethings and late teens who can still remember 1998. Whoever thought tiled backgrounds and embedded music was an idea that needed another chance will be the first one up against the wall when the revolution comes.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 12:45:56 pm »


"Alton Brown said so!" is a statement I make a lot when I'm about to do something not lazy in the act of cooking... and then I ignore it completely.


OK, I did like that.  Because I say that too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 01:04:35 pm »

So my computer isn't fast enough to battle Myspace's powerfull wall of bullshit (defender, reach, 0/5). I'll have an opinion on this tomorrow, I guess.

Dude, Flashblock. I didn't even know Myspace pages were supposed to automatically start playing music until like a week ago because of this add-on.

I remember actually winning an argument on Dumbrella because of Alton. Somebody was saying all pre-packaged spice blends were evil and a few of us were like, "but Old Bay is awesome!" When we pointed out Alton uses it on tv and in his book the guy was like, "Oh. Well why didn't you just that at the beginning."
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 01:46:31 pm »

I for one quite enjoyed this.

"Alton Brown said so!" is a statement I make a lot when I'm about to do something not lazy in the act of cooking... and then I ignore it completely.

I myself have wondered about the validity of Alton's statement that you just need to drink enough water to purge the excess salt.  Usually he says things that make a lot of sense, but it kind of flies in the face of any number of doctors and dieticians saying too much salt is bad for you.  Not that doctors and dieticians are omnicapable; they've certainly been proven wrong before.  I just... I just don't know. 

I do know I like salty food though.

Also:  kidneys::accordions.  HA
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 04:40:42 pm »

Finally, is "japans" really a word? I've tried finding it, but to no avail!
From the Oxford English Dictionary (unabridged, online)
1. v. trans. To lacquer with japan1; to varnish with any material that gives a hard black gloss.

referencing
1  n. (a.) a. A varnish of exceptional hardness, which originally came from Japan. The name is now extended to other varnishes of a like sort, esp. to  (a) a black varnish obtained by cooking asphaltum with linseed oil, used for producing a black gloss on metal and other materials;   (b) a varnish-like liquid made from shellac, linseed-oil and turpentine, and used as a medium in which to grind colours and for drying pigments.

Asphaltum?  Who talks like that?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 06:23:04 pm »

Asphaltum?  Who talks like that?

Same people who'd use lowercase-j "japan" as a verb or noun.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 09:57:38 pm »

I've heard of women getting their nails japaned.  This might have been in a novel set in decades past.

As to myspace, facebook, etc.  I can't handle those things.  Too much like keeping an up-to-date obituary handy.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 3 September 2008 - Electively throw up six pounds of tacos
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 04:48:21 am »

I found out today my Mother has a myspace account.  She is 70.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up