The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Asherdan on October 27, 2008, 09:16:55 pm

Title: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Asherdan on October 27, 2008, 09:16:55 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10272008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10272008)

(http://web.archive.org/web/19970716162623/http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~nkpatel/mr.t/img/ba01.jpg)
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2008, 09:31:13 pm
I would have gone with "We'll sort that sentence out when I return." That's a line I am going to be able to make use of.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on October 27, 2008, 10:01:50 pm
Aw. This is a pretty effective and cute strip, especially for a comic that rarely does sentiment well. (I found the Molly-Roast Beef proposal/wedding strips to be a bit obvious and lacking any real Achewoodian touch).

But when will it go horribly awry?  I predict her untimely death by misadventure.  Or maybe Lyle will recognize her, make an orifice-centered joke, and she flees forever, crying.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: colmore on October 27, 2008, 10:29:50 pm
I know the odds are against it, but could this be the introduction of a new character to the front of the stage?

Also: memory exercises to make sure the new partner's name sticks.  Don't want to screw that one up.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2008, 12:04:50 am
I would have gone with "We'll sort that sentence out when I return." That's a line I am going to be able to make use of.

That is a pretty good line. Plus it ends with Cornelius sex.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: jaydub on October 28, 2008, 01:29:01 am
He's not from England?  I guess we knew that he had a roguish side (all taking Ray to the cleaner when pocket money's getting low), but I thought that part of his persona was legit.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Doc on October 28, 2008, 02:46:51 am
I have never made a Lusitania gag, let alone regretted one. Just another way that Connie is bigger man than I.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: pmcd9 on October 28, 2008, 03:46:54 am
I love the twist on the "save a hoss ride a cowboy" meme.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: sensate on October 28, 2008, 03:56:23 am
Spot on, Onstead.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2008, 02:40:31 pm
And that's how Cornelius got chlamydia.

"Come now, do you really think social diseases were invented yesterday? I'll have you know I've received more unsolicited Claps than Le Petomaine's ill-fated final performance at the Aix-la-Chapelle fireworks factory. And unlike you, Lyle, I know to wear battle scars proudly. Not battle scabs."
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 28, 2008, 02:56:53 pm
Why does Corn relate so well to the stripper bear and vice versa?
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: lprkn on October 28, 2008, 03:36:34 pm
I know the odds are against it, but could this be the introduction of a new character to the front of the stage?

I can deal with it as long as her eyes remain tightly closed.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 28, 2008, 03:54:30 pm
Quote from: Arachno-capitalist
Why does Corn relate so well to the stripper bear and vice versa?

It's probably that she's a stripper for the same reason the prisoner in the crate imagined Corny's reasons for being in jail.

Wrong place, wrong time. A little bad luck and a couple of desperate decisions that probably didn't seem like the beginning of a downward spiral at the time.

There are sex workers who go INTO the field thinking they'll like it or who CLAIM they like it at first but...

Nah, everyone either gets out of it quickly or would get out of it if they could.

Circumstances.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2008, 05:35:48 pm
It's probably that she's a stripper for the same reason the prisoner in the crate imagined Corny's reasons for being in jail.

Wrong place, wrong time. A little bad luck and a couple of desperate decisions that probably didn't seem like the beginning of a downward spiral at the time.

There are sex workers who go INTO the field thinking they'll like it or who CLAIM they like it at first but...

Nah, everyone either gets out of it quickly or would get out of it if they could.

Circumstances.

Mostly agreed. A few like it, but only once they call the shots, like club owner or porn director.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 29, 2008, 03:53:08 am
Quote from: Bobby Isosceles
A few like it, but only once they call the shots, like club owner or porn director.

heh. Management positions.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 29, 2008, 04:00:40 am
heh. Management positions.

There actually IS a sexual position called the "Management Position" among members of the industry. Still, can'd for quick thinking.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: lprkn on October 29, 2008, 03:49:06 pm
How does one get on top, I wonder?
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 29, 2008, 06:59:02 pm
How does one get on top, I wonder?

Incompetence?
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on October 29, 2008, 10:30:05 pm
Incompetence?

Is that why it's called the Peter Principle? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle)
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Doc on October 30, 2008, 10:35:32 am
This thread, it's so full of.... cans.
Title: Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
Post by: Death Ray on November 04, 2008, 01:00:10 am
I dunno. Polly...Molly...? Some sort of sitcomish birthday-plan-eavesdropped-on-behind-a-couch-and-misconstrued-leading-to-Gift-of-the-Magi-type-irony is bound to arise from this.