Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008  (Read 3932 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:06:50 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:31:13 pm »

I would have gone with "We'll sort that sentence out when I return." That's a line I am going to be able to make use of.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Cap'n Squeakers

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 36
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 146
  • I MET THE GUY WHO INVENTED SALAMI
    • View Profile
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 10:01:50 pm »

Aw. This is a pretty effective and cute strip, especially for a comic that rarely does sentiment well. (I found the Molly-Roast Beef proposal/wedding strips to be a bit obvious and lacking any real Achewoodian touch).

But when will it go horribly awry?  I predict her untimely death by misadventure.  Or maybe Lyle will recognize her, make an orifice-centered joke, and she flees forever, crying.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:29:50 pm »

I know the odds are against it, but could this be the introduction of a new character to the front of the stage?

Also: memory exercises to make sure the new partner's name sticks.  Don't want to screw that one up.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:04:50 am »

I would have gone with "We'll sort that sentence out when I return." That's a line I am going to be able to make use of.

That is a pretty good line. Plus it ends with Cornelius sex.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 01:29:01 am »

He's not from England?  I guess we knew that he had a roguish side (all taking Ray to the cleaner when pocket money's getting low), but I thought that part of his persona was legit.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 02:46:51 am »

I have never made a Lusitania gag, let alone regretted one. Just another way that Connie is bigger man than I.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 03:46:54 am »

I love the twist on the "save a hoss ride a cowboy" meme.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 03:56:23 am »

Spot on, Onstead.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 02:40:31 pm »

And that's how Cornelius got chlamydia.

"Come now, do you really think social diseases were invented yesterday? I'll have you know I've received more unsolicited Claps than Le Petomaine's ill-fated final performance at the Aix-la-Chapelle fireworks factory. And unlike you, Lyle, I know to wear battle scars proudly. Not battle scabs."
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 02:56:53 pm »

Why does Corn relate so well to the stripper bear and vice versa?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 03:36:34 pm »

I know the odds are against it, but could this be the introduction of a new character to the front of the stage?

I can deal with it as long as her eyes remain tightly closed.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 03:54:30 pm »

Quote from: Arachno-capitalist
Why does Corn relate so well to the stripper bear and vice versa?

It's probably that she's a stripper for the same reason the prisoner in the crate imagined Corny's reasons for being in jail.

Wrong place, wrong time. A little bad luck and a couple of desperate decisions that probably didn't seem like the beginning of a downward spiral at the time.

There are sex workers who go INTO the field thinking they'll like it or who CLAIM they like it at first but...

Nah, everyone either gets out of it quickly or would get out of it if they could.

Circumstances.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 05:35:48 pm »

It's probably that she's a stripper for the same reason the prisoner in the crate imagined Corny's reasons for being in jail.

Wrong place, wrong time. A little bad luck and a couple of desperate decisions that probably didn't seem like the beginning of a downward spiral at the time.

There are sex workers who go INTO the field thinking they'll like it or who CLAIM they like it at first but...

Nah, everyone either gets out of it quickly or would get out of it if they could.

Circumstances.

Mostly agreed. A few like it, but only once they call the shots, like club owner or porn director.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: ...a ruler and a time limit... Oct. 27th, 2008
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 03:53:08 am »

Quote from: Bobby Isosceles
A few like it, but only once they call the shots, like club owner or porn director.

heh. Management positions.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up