The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on December 16, 2008, 02:22:11 am

Title: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: wombat on December 16, 2008, 02:22:11 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12152008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12152008)

It is my understanding that sous-vide cooking is safe these days, but I'm willing to make an exception for Ray.
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2008, 02:27:48 am
OK Ray, that's enough with the "hundo." It doesn't really work when you're not discussing currency.
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on December 16, 2008, 02:32:12 am
Ray's plan fails, but succeeds.  That is his way.

Tomorrow: chicken
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2008, 03:13:41 am
The contents of the guest room sound like a Nine Inch Nails video for Boca retirees.
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 16, 2008, 04:03:21 am
Ray's plan fails, but succeeds.  That is his way.

Tomorrow: chicken

Sous-vide chicken, no less?

You know, you can avoid the whole botulinum issue with sous-vide by acidifying the water bath, thus inhibiting the growth of botulinum spores. I wish there were a name for this method of cooking. Oh wait, there is: pickling.
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: Bimmicus on December 16, 2008, 11:14:15 am
*gliggle*
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: pmcd9 on December 16, 2008, 07:17:10 pm
Ohh la la!?!

I'm prepared not to like this broad from that.

I'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic.  Plus she's tall, so she should be just your type.
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: oball on December 17, 2008, 12:37:54 am
I thought all the women you've had relationships with have been fictional!




ziing!
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: dejavroom on December 17, 2008, 12:41:48 pm
re: the strip: Weak sauce.
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: Death Ray on December 17, 2008, 05:38:44 pm
Corny is sure harshing on Ray a lot these past few strips. And haven't we established that Ray is actually a fine chef?
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 17, 2008, 05:53:40 pm
Sous-vide chicken, no less?

You know, you can avoid the whole botulinum issue with sous-vide by acidifying the water bath, thus inhibiting the growth of botulinum spores. I wish there were a name for this method of cooking. Oh wait, there is: pickling.


Maybe I misundertand sous-vide, or I have a fundamental misunderstanding of potential food poisoning issues.  I thought sous-vide foodstuffs were cryovac'd in food-grade plastic.  If the meat (or whatever) is sealed in plastic, what difference would it make what is (or is not) in the water bath?  I thought the only thing that had any culinary effect on the protien was the liquid's temperature, not any additives to the liquid. 

I can see how an acidic water bath would inhibit growth OUTSIDE the vac bag, but inside too?
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: herofix on December 17, 2008, 07:54:25 pm
Ohh la la!?!

I'm prepared not to like this broad from that.

Maybe it's because you consciously or unconsciously have begun to fear that this broad is a post gender swap operation Nolan From The Internet.
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 17, 2008, 08:31:08 pm
Maybe I misundertand sous-vide, or I have a fundamental misunderstanding of potential food poisoning issues.  I thought sous-vide foodstuffs were cryovac'd in food-grade plastic.  If the meat (or whatever) is sealed in plastic, what difference would it make what is (or is not) in the water bath?  I thought the only thing that had any culinary effect on the protien was the liquid's temperature, not any additives to the liquid. 

I can see how an acidic water bath would inhibit growth OUTSIDE the vac bag, but inside too?

Presumably there is some sort of liquid in the bag as well. The water you are sous-viding in is irrelevant. It's the liquid in the bag, even miniscule amounts, that has to be either completely sterile or with a low enough pH to avoid botulism spores.

Sous-viding without the bag is just poaching.
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: colmore on December 17, 2008, 08:47:46 pm
A lot of psychological research seems to indicate that there's a roughly 6 month period of time after having sex with someone where your normal people-evaluating machinery turns off and they just seem perfect.  Personal experience backs this up.  It's why one should hold off on dropping the l-bomb.  And why rushed proposals are terrible ideas.

Anyway, I think when the clouds part, she's going to realize that she's sleeping with a dang ol' grandpa.
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 17, 2008, 10:09:36 pm
Presumably there is some sort of liquid in the bag as well. The water you are sous-viding in is irrelevant. It's the liquid in the bag, even miniscule amounts, that has to be either completely sterile or with a low enough pH to avoid botulism spores.

Sous-viding without the bag is just poaching.

Ah.  I wasn't considering the liquid in the bag.

But then, I never do.
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: saniac on December 18, 2008, 05:44:14 am
Second panel. Motion lines around Cornelius.

Is Polly giving him a handjob under the table?
Title: Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
Post by: dejavroom on December 18, 2008, 12:52:14 pm
We can hope?