Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008  (Read 3426 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« on: December 16, 2008, 02:22:11 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12152008

It is my understanding that sous-vide cooking is safe these days, but I'm willing to make an exception for Ray.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 02:27:48 am »

OK Ray, that's enough with the "hundo." It doesn't really work when you're not discussing currency.
Logged

Cap'n Squeakers

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 36
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 146
  • I MET THE GUY WHO INVENTED SALAMI
    • View Profile
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 02:32:12 am »

Ray's plan fails, but succeeds.  That is his way.

Tomorrow: chicken
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 03:13:41 am »

The contents of the guest room sound like a Nine Inch Nails video for Boca retirees.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 04:03:21 am »

Ray's plan fails, but succeeds.  That is his way.

Tomorrow: chicken

Sous-vide chicken, no less?

You know, you can avoid the whole botulinum issue with sous-vide by acidifying the water bath, thus inhibiting the growth of botulinum spores. I wish there were a name for this method of cooking. Oh wait, there is: pickling.
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:14:15 am »

*gliggle*
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 07:17:10 pm »

Ohh la la!?!

I'm prepared not to like this broad from that.

I'm pretty sure she was being sarcastic.  Plus she's tall, so she should be just your type.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:37:54 am »

I thought all the women you've had relationships with have been fictional!




ziing!
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:41:48 pm »

re: the strip: Weak sauce.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:38:44 pm »

Corny is sure harshing on Ray a lot these past few strips. And haven't we established that Ray is actually a fine chef?
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 05:53:40 pm »

Sous-vide chicken, no less?

You know, you can avoid the whole botulinum issue with sous-vide by acidifying the water bath, thus inhibiting the growth of botulinum spores. I wish there were a name for this method of cooking. Oh wait, there is: pickling.


Maybe I misundertand sous-vide, or I have a fundamental misunderstanding of potential food poisoning issues.  I thought sous-vide foodstuffs were cryovac'd in food-grade plastic.  If the meat (or whatever) is sealed in plastic, what difference would it make what is (or is not) in the water bath?  I thought the only thing that had any culinary effect on the protien was the liquid's temperature, not any additives to the liquid. 

I can see how an acidic water bath would inhibit growth OUTSIDE the vac bag, but inside too?
Logged

herofix

  • Guest
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 07:54:25 pm »

Ohh la la!?!

I'm prepared not to like this broad from that.

Maybe it's because you consciously or unconsciously have begun to fear that this broad is a post gender swap operation Nolan From The Internet.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 08:31:08 pm »

Maybe I misundertand sous-vide, or I have a fundamental misunderstanding of potential food poisoning issues.  I thought sous-vide foodstuffs were cryovac'd in food-grade plastic.  If the meat (or whatever) is sealed in plastic, what difference would it make what is (or is not) in the water bath?  I thought the only thing that had any culinary effect on the protien was the liquid's temperature, not any additives to the liquid. 

I can see how an acidic water bath would inhibit growth OUTSIDE the vac bag, but inside too?

Presumably there is some sort of liquid in the bag as well. The water you are sous-viding in is irrelevant. It's the liquid in the bag, even miniscule amounts, that has to be either completely sterile or with a low enough pH to avoid botulism spores.

Sous-viding without the bag is just poaching.
Logged

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 08:47:46 pm »

A lot of psychological research seems to indicate that there's a roughly 6 month period of time after having sex with someone where your normal people-evaluating machinery turns off and they just seem perfect.  Personal experience backs this up.  It's why one should hold off on dropping the l-bomb.  And why rushed proposals are terrible ideas.

Anyway, I think when the clouds part, she's going to realize that she's sleeping with a dang ol' grandpa.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: The tell-tale tortoiseshell comb - Dec 15 2008
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 10:09:36 pm »

Presumably there is some sort of liquid in the bag as well. The water you are sous-viding in is irrelevant. It's the liquid in the bag, even miniscule amounts, that has to be either completely sterile or with a low enough pH to avoid botulism spores.

Sous-viding without the bag is just poaching.

Ah.  I wasn't considering the liquid in the bag.

But then, I never do.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up