The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on December 22, 2008, 03:55:02 pm

Title: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: CortJstr on December 22, 2008, 03:55:02 pm
It looks like this was conducted in early November but just posted on Saturday.

Warning: it's 37 minutes long.

http://drawn.ca/2008/12/20/watch-chris-onstad-interview/
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: herofix on December 22, 2008, 09:55:19 pm
He's a nervous chap. 

The format of the interview and the amateur nature of the interviewer no doubt contributed to his nervousness.

The Dark hoss comics release he talked about in May sounds great, though.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: wombat on December 22, 2008, 10:04:33 pm
I got through about ten minutes of this before I got bored. It is all the same questions and answers that are in all the print interviews and I can't just skim ahead like I could if it were not a stupid video. Does it get any different from all the old interviews later?

Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 22, 2008, 11:12:18 pm
Is this link working for other people? I cant even get drawn.ca to come up
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: CortJstr on December 22, 2008, 11:43:56 pm
The most interesting part is that Darkhoss is apparently putting out more Achewood books, starting at strip 1 and including the alt-text. He said he originally envisioned it as like a bonus for reading online, but now realizes some strips just aren't complete without it.

Oh, and when he talked about the skateboards being a big headache. I don't even remember him selling skateboards.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: lprkn on December 23, 2008, 01:33:40 am
I think they had the Achewater logo on them. Just the decks, not completes as I recall.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: miles on December 23, 2008, 03:42:08 am
The most interesting part is that Darkhoss is apparently putting out more Achewood books, starting at strip 1 and including the alt-text. He said he originally envisioned it as like a bonus for reading online, but now realizes some strips just aren't complete without it.

While I love the GOF book, I do miss the alt-text when reading it. I'll certainly be picking up those publications.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: AugustWest on December 23, 2008, 03:51:36 am
Having not met Onstad in person, it was interesting to see his mannerisms and so forth.

Was that supposed to be professionally done in any way shape or form?  Because the only thing more laughably amateurish than the interviewer was the...uh...guy...uh...who...er...um...i ntro...uh...duced...em...him.

I was reminded of this (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/chris-farley-interview-paul-mc-cartney-snl/3026001319).
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: miles on December 23, 2008, 04:17:32 am
Is this link working for other people? I cant even get drawn.ca to come up

I had to copy and paste it into my address bar.

Of course the first thing he mentions about having a web comic is being able to post whenever he wants, and in fact, that this is one reason why the internet is a superior medium to newspaper.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: robot_god on December 23, 2008, 10:12:10 am
If I were in that audience, I would have walked up and smacked that interveiwer's man-tits with a ladle.

Onstad really dropped the ball.  Instead of the little nerd-jabs, he should have just stood up and been like, "you know what youre a bitch and i dont do interviews with bitches unless i knock them out," and just stabbed the guy about a hundred times.  Or at least something like that, that video would have a million hits by the morning.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: CortJstr on December 23, 2008, 03:37:56 pm
The guy who does Little Dee goes in the opposite extreme. Today he posted sketches he uploaded from his cell phone just so he wouldn't miss a day.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 23, 2008, 04:48:47 pm
The irony is that guy works for google, which except for maybe the astronaut program is the most discriminating employer around.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: wombat on December 23, 2008, 06:08:22 pm
Well, sure, but probably he wasn't hired for his interview skills but something else entirely.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2008, 04:44:05 pm
The best part of the interview was right at the very end where they talk about Keith Moon's head.  Onstad talks about seeing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebq5yEQAFH4) clip on youtube and how insane Moon's drumming is.  I have that concert on disc so I've listened to it dozens of times, but have never seen it.  It's pretty kick ass.

But yeah, that interview was totally amateurish.  I was thinking this couldn't possibly be associated with google in any way
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: theinevitable on December 24, 2008, 11:12:02 pm
man, I need to practice the drums all day every day until I can play them extremely well.

Also, maybe I would get kicked out of my apartment due to too much rocking.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2008, 11:28:54 pm
You could practice your entire life and not play like Keith Moon.  What he had was innate. 
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: AugustWest on December 25, 2008, 02:15:26 am
I suggest you start drinking heavily and then trash your immediate surroundings.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: theinevitable on December 25, 2008, 05:11:20 am
my parents would TOTALLY love to wake up christmas morning to find that I had trashed our house and passed out drunk on the floor.

preferably covered in vomit.

which reminds me: with so many relatives in the house, i could totally heist some beers without anyone noticing. Hm.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: theinevitable on December 27, 2008, 01:01:16 am
I am always really interested to see people's really idiosyncratic styles of playing.
Keith Moon has a lot of drums that are theoretically the same sound (identical toms, two of the same cymbal) but uses them to make such great sounds. I don't understand enough about drums at this point to get how this works.

I also really like how Pete Townshend plays really simple guitar parts in a way that is awesome.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: pmcd9 on December 27, 2008, 01:47:25 am
I'd say that Pete Townshend's playing is deceptively simple.  But he realizes he is in a band with 4 soloist so he leaves room for those other guys to move around.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 27, 2008, 02:19:14 am
theinev (and everyone really) if you haven't seen The Who's performance of A Quick One from The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, you need to get on that, stat.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: Dara on January 21, 2009, 04:32:55 pm
i was a little alarmed that he said a possible GOF film would be live action..with people, not cats. yeah, the story is the same, and the characters are pretty human, but...what?
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: miles on January 22, 2009, 04:09:20 am
I thought I was the only one alarmed by this.
Title: Re: Onstand interview on Drawn.ca
Post by: jaydub on January 22, 2009, 06:35:02 am
I sort of envisioned an H.R. Pufnstuf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.R._Pufnstuf) scenario, decided that would be right up Onstad's alley, and didn't let it concern me beyond that.