The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on January 19, 2009, 06:09:20 pm

Title: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: pmcd9 on January 19, 2009, 06:09:20 pm
Show your love for our favorite small furry animal by posting many many messages today in all fora.

Happy Birthday!!!
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: CortJstr on January 19, 2009, 06:15:46 pm
I heard the pandas tried mating again just for you, wombat.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: lprkn on January 19, 2009, 06:18:12 pm
Happy Birthday!
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 19, 2009, 07:23:59 pm
I like to think it has magical powers every day, but I won't get your hopes up.

Yeah, the pandas: in the Post it says that the pandas failed to mate so the vets "had to" inseminate. Um, "had to?"

But I am not going to complain about pandas on my birthday. Instead... oh right, instead I am going to pack up the kitchen so men can come on Wednesday and demolish it. Uh, let's complain about pandas some more, I think.

Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 19, 2009, 07:27:10 pm
My daughter's Webkinz pet is a panda.  She named her Lilly.

Oh wait, that's not complaining.  Happy birthday anyway.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: AugustWest on January 19, 2009, 07:32:29 pm
Happy Birthday, small cute and fuzzy!
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 19, 2009, 10:14:19 pm
Happy *mumble-mumble*-th birthday!
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: pmcd9 on January 19, 2009, 10:32:15 pm
Wombat.  On my birthday I posted two Achewood related photos.  One was specifically a TOUAMB photo which got me in trouble  with my mother.

So I'm expecting some effort on your part.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 19, 2009, 11:24:54 pm
Well actually, I have spent the day packing up the whole kitchen and dining room because people are coming to demolish it on Wednesday, and have had a migraine for like four days, so I did not feel very celebratory nor have much time to spare, so I decided that I am going to celebrate my birthday on another day. I mean, if George Washington and those people can move their birthdays, why can't I? So, I will take some photos on Wombat's Birthday (Observed) which I hope will be this coming weekend.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: miles on January 19, 2009, 11:45:50 pm
I'll save my birthday greeting for then.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 20, 2009, 12:15:44 am
I think if anyone wants to hold Wombat's Birthday Sales they should wait, too. There seems to be some other distracting celebration in the news right now.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 20, 2009, 12:16:45 am
Also, Happy Edgar Allan Poe's birthday.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: CortJstr on January 20, 2009, 12:47:26 am
Also, Happy Edgar Allan Poe's birthday.

Did you know he burned the furniture in his college dorm room? Because when I was summer camp they wouldn't shut the hell up about it.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: AugustWest on January 20, 2009, 01:13:06 am
I wonder how I'd feel if they held mattress and carpet sales in honor of my birthday.  I'm really not sure.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 20, 2009, 02:28:57 am
I think I'd prefer if they held bake sales in honor of my birthday.

Cort, I never heard that about Poe and I suspect it is a summer camp campfire tale.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: CortJstr on January 20, 2009, 03:39:55 am
I think I'd prefer if they held bake sales in honor of my birthday.

Cort, I never heard that about Poe and I suspect it is a summer camp campfire tale.

It wasn't so much a campfire tale as a recording at UVa's replica of Poe's dorm room.

Plus what kind of crazy ass summer camp has fires?
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: pmcd9 on January 20, 2009, 04:11:03 am
Plus what kind of crazy ass summer camp has fires?

Huh?
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: CortJstr on January 20, 2009, 04:46:52 am
Plus what kind of crazy ass summer camp has fires?

Huh?

We never had a fire at camp. I can't even imagine a place where they would have had one. We were more about 3 hour classes on architecture or poetry than fires.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: iron_felix on January 20, 2009, 04:59:52 am
I'm all for celebrating birthdays on other days; it's served me well enough for several years now.  Now that I actually have a weekend birthday I may have to move it anyway to avoid conflict with Wombat Observation Day.  I wouldn't want to one-up a dude (or a lady, as the case may be).

Anyway, may the last remaining minute* of your birthday treat you better than the rest did.
*EDIT: Eight seconds, actually.  There were eight seconds left when I hit "post."  I hope it was a damn good eight seconds, though.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: Choop on January 20, 2009, 05:45:32 am
cort that ain't camp that's summer school

camp is supposed to be fires and canoes and hikes and sneaking weed
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: Doc on January 20, 2009, 07:48:09 am
Woo!
Happy Wombday. Belated. Double belated since I'm a day ahead and a terrible person for not seeing this thread earlier.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: CortJstr on January 20, 2009, 08:33:59 pm
cort that ain't camp that's summer school

camp is supposed to be fires and canoes and hikes and sneaking weed

My camp was classes, sleeping in a dorm, playing ultimate frisbee, 4-square, spades, and egyptian rat screw. There was also a fair amount of reading. That sounds far, far superior to fires, hikes, and frankly anything involving being outside.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: pmcd9 on January 20, 2009, 09:14:09 pm
Cort's parents sent him to summer school and told him it was camp.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 20, 2009, 09:26:33 pm
No! Don't tell him!

Well, at least there are no mosquitos, right?
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: theinevitable on January 22, 2009, 07:46:17 pm
Wombat-- happy late birthday.

cort--

if you had been at my camp, the other counselors would have had a lot of issues with you, and I would have liked you a lot and defended you when they talked about you having a "bad attitude" and not wanting to engage in activities.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 22, 2009, 08:05:51 pm
Still didn't really do anything for my birthday except eat a lot of baked goods, but today is my dog Lilly's birthday and she got some pretty nice cookies.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: AugustWest on January 22, 2009, 08:57:40 pm

Heel squeeze = Walk
Second Heel Squeeze = Fast Walk
Heel Squeeze w/ double click = Trot
Second Heel Squeeze w/ double click = Fast Trot
Heel Squeeze w/ kiss = Canter
Second Heel Squeeze w/ kiss = Fast Canter
Third Heel Squeeze w/ kiss = BOOH Canter


Dang, I can't remember all that and you expect a hoss to?
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 22, 2009, 09:07:20 pm
Dang, I can't remember all that and you expect a hoss to?

Yeah! I was going to say, dang, that seems close enough to me.

They are dog cookies. There were lots of others available, but they are small dogs, so I had to restrain myself.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: CortJstr on January 22, 2009, 09:22:00 pm
Wombat-- happy late birthday.

cort--

if you had been at my camp, the other counselors would have had a lot of issues with you, and I would have liked you a lot and defended you when they talked about you having a "bad attitude" and not wanting to engage in activities.

All I'm saying is any kind of summer camp where you have to be outside for more than the mandatory hour of sports time or social-hour is not for me. I prefer camps where you have to fill out a 4-page college application to get in and there's no reason to bring swimming trunks.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 22, 2009, 09:42:16 pm
If you're feeding him and giving him a warm place to live that's safe from the cougars, that stuff is the least he can do.

You know, I am interested in animals, but I am no bunnyhugger. In fact I am even working on a new blog about what dickheads animals can be (http://animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com/).
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: theinevitable on January 22, 2009, 09:46:46 pm
Quote
All I'm saying is any kind of summer camp where you have to be outside for more than the mandatory hour of sports time or social-hour is not for me. I prefer camps where you have to fill out a 4-page college application to get in and there's no reason to bring swimming trunks.

Yeah. See. I was mostly like that back when I went to camp too. I think I am slightly different now, but...
the other counselors had a hard time understanding why some kids didn't want to swim in the lake or play ultimate frisbee.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 22, 2009, 10:31:03 pm
Happy late  birthday, wombat.

The cougars mention reminds me that I saw one in a nature center the other day. After I passed it, it started stalking either me or the elk in the next pen
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/3211376047_5a52207c6b.jpg)

The elk were very friendly
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3435/3212224908_0e31be0935.jpg)

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/3212226126_8e44dca62d.jpg)
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 22, 2009, 10:38:30 pm
OMG an elk is kissing you? That is not something you see every day.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 22, 2009, 11:46:41 pm
Every day should be Wombat Day!
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 22, 2009, 11:56:38 pm
Yeah, when you write it out it sounds complicated but it's really hoss level simple. The heel squeeze is just a trigger to say 'do what you're doing but faster'. You use that in conjunction with no sound/double click/kiss which is what indicates the pace you're calling for.

What I'm hoping is that the damn hoss just felt real good and wanted to air out the kinks this time out.

If not, I'm going to call up Wombat and put her on the phone with him and let her talk him around.

Wait...Wombat, you wouldn't give him a talk about how he really shouldn't have to put up with some human on his back all squeezing and making noises at him, would you?

How do you stop it?
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: pmcd9 on January 23, 2009, 02:39:32 am
Every day should be Wombat Day!

I heartily agree.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 23, 2009, 08:16:29 am
Ugh, I kind of forgot hosss don't just run into buildings and other hosss and stuff.  Still probably good to know how to stop them though.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 23, 2009, 01:44:34 pm
Ugh, I kind of forgot hosss don't just run into buildings and other hosss and stuff.

This is the big advantage of the equine over the automobile.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: jay-ell on January 23, 2009, 02:18:07 pm
How, how, how did I miss this thread? 

Happy belated, Wombat, dear. 
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 23, 2009, 03:24:17 pm
OMG an elk is kissing you? That is not something you see every day.
Yeah, you know, I was thinking at that the time that I never previously thought that I would get to pet an elk.At first they were just laying down, then one came over to see us--and a few minutes later, the other. I got a big kick out of how much they like to be pet I stepped aside to let a little girl have a go and the elk followed me to get more attention. Eventually one of them snarfled her hair and she giggled with glee. The male was a lot more slobbery.

The nature center visit was part of a trip to see my stepdaughter, who is at a school/ranch/residential treatment center in Wyoming. It was a good time.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3410/3211378133_80a509f539.jpg)

The friendly elk are in Red Lodge, Montana if anyone wants to visit.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: pmcd9 on January 23, 2009, 05:20:11 pm
residential treatment center

That doesn't sound too good.

I remember your daughter, a sweet little lady as I recall.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 23, 2009, 05:31:10 pm
That sounds worse than it is. Ah, you know. It's hard, but it's fine. She's doing well, working hard, and in a good place.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 23, 2009, 05:33:07 pm
You know, I am interested in animals, but I am no bunnyhugger. In fact I am even working on a new blog about what dickheads animals can be (http://animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com/).

You are familiar with Dogs in Elk (http://web.mit.edu/munch/Public/humor/elk), I trust?
(I know one of the commenters in the original thread from another board.)
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 23, 2009, 05:36:33 pm
Dogs in Elk is already there. But, good call, more suggestions are extremely welcomed.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 23, 2009, 05:49:45 pm
Don't miss the version illustrated with pumpkin carvings, which I link to here (http://animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com/2008/12/classic-dogs-in-elk.html).
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: AugustWest on January 23, 2009, 07:31:50 pm
An(ne) Elk. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYDiPizDIs)
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 23, 2009, 07:46:40 pm
"Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti" came to mind at the time.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 23, 2009, 08:14:38 pm
An(ne) Elk. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYDiPizDIs)

I am pleased to report that when I googled for more information on the Anne Elk sketch, I found a Linked in profile for Ann Elk.  Please, please tell me that's her real name and not a handle or a joke.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 23, 2009, 08:20:43 pm
Well, I put a fake reference to Anne Elk in the index of my dissertation, but that was a long time ago and it has never occurred to me to make fake Internet profiles for her. So if it's not real, it's not my doing.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: theinevitable on January 23, 2009, 09:00:52 pm
so,
I didn't think this was that funny.

and then I was watching the office from 2 episodes ago, and they had basically the same gag. what?
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: AugustWest on January 23, 2009, 09:05:56 pm
so,
I didn't think this was that funny.

and then I was watching the office from 2 episodes ago, and they had basically the same gag. what?

You didn't think what was that funny?
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: jaydub on January 23, 2009, 09:06:57 pm
That
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: theinevitable on January 23, 2009, 09:08:39 pm
*the anne elk skit.
Title: Re: Happy Wombat Day
Post by: wombat on January 27, 2009, 05:01:20 pm
Well, I put a fake reference to Anne Elk in the index of my dissertation, but that was a long time ago and it has never occurred to me to make fake Internet profiles for her. So if it's not real, it's not my doing.

I just realized that this is a lie. I forgot that I wrote a bunch of stuff here (http://www.ehow.com/members/AnneElk-articles.html) under a pseudonym.