The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on January 25, 2009, 06:22:54 pm

Title: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: pmcd9 on January 25, 2009, 06:22:54 pm
One of my friends was going through his archives and uncovered an interview he did with Douglas Adams in 1988.  It's a great listen.

Link (http://www.baldheretic.com/2005/07/15/125)
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 25, 2009, 09:40:53 pm
This is another questionable on my Geek Card: could never get into the Douglas Adams stuff.

Always seemed so... precious. So oh-gosh-I'm-so-clever-my-asshole's-winking-at-you.

The meaning of life is... forty-two? I mean, uh, great. There's something to be said for not mistaking a non-sequitur for a joke.

Douglas Adams, Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons. Three very nerdy things I just don't get.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Choop on January 25, 2009, 09:44:01 pm
your first mistake is thinking that 42 is the meaning of life
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: theinevitable on January 25, 2009, 10:25:33 pm
Quote
The meaning of life is... forty-two? I mean, uh, great. There's something to be said for not mistaking a non-sequitur for a joke.

The books made me laugh a lot when I read them in high school, but people who make "42! haha! just like in Hitchhiker's Guide!" jokes make me want to kill.

this kid I hate at the radio station has a "42" tattoo.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: AugustWest on January 25, 2009, 10:38:20 pm
This is another questionable on my Geek Card: could never get into the Douglas Adams stuff.

Always seemed so... precious. So oh-gosh-I'm-so-clever-my-asshole's-winking-at-you.

The meaning of life is... forty-two? I mean, uh, great. There's something to be said for not mistaking a non-sequitur for a joke.

Douglas Adams, Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons. Three very nerdy things I just don't get.

Thanks for sharing.  Your favorite writer sucks.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: pmcd9 on January 25, 2009, 10:51:42 pm
I believe I would pay money to see someones asshole wink at me.

On second thought, no I would not.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 26, 2009, 03:03:31 am
I believe I would pay money to see someones asshole wink at me.

I'm gonna have to call Rule 34 on that one.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Doc on January 26, 2009, 03:07:07 am
I'm gonna have to call Rule 34 on that one.

Too easy (http://ragebot.com/images/bush-wink.jpg).
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: smick on January 26, 2009, 05:39:10 am
The books made me laugh a lot when I read them in high school, but people who make "42! haha! just like in Hitchhiker's Guide!" jokes make me want to kill.

this kid I hate at the radio station has a "42" tattoo.

Fans are Not The Artist.

Man, all too often rabid fans quickly ruin the enjoyment of things.   Like that Mary Manson guy.  I recently discovered I enjoyed some of his music.  The trappings of his fans put me right off, and kept me from giving it any thought.

So yea, I could see where TOWEL TOWEL TOWEL 42 42 42! TOWEL HOOPYFROOD BABELgiraffe TOWEL TOWEL BATHROBE 42 would be off putting.  I gotta say though, as all-too-precious as he seems to you Lil' Falls, the fellow can write.  He also did more than write a bunch of silly books with seussian words.

Me, I've hated everything I've read of Steinbeck's.  I doubt the literary world is going to flock to my opinion any time soon.  Let's go sit on the stoop and grow into Old Cranks together.

In other news: My son enjoys the works of Eoin Colfer, and I've read a couple of them myself.   He's the author who has been selected to the next book in the Hitchhiker series by Adams' wife.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 26, 2009, 05:57:22 am
Remember:

I despise the veins of precious cutesy-wootsey hipster-geek irony in my own style and attempted works and so there is an extent to which my hating Adams is a bit like a closeted homosexual hating Freddy Mercury, not so much because "Fat Bottomed Girls" is not a rocking song, but because he hates the part of himself that wants to scream in falsetto in bicycle shorts for one hundred thousand people strong.

There may be an element of projection in my disdain for what I've read of Adams work.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: theinevitable on January 26, 2009, 07:26:40 am
this is also kind of my problem with it. except I don't think that anything about hitchhikers guide could be described with the words lfm used.
hipster-geek cutesy-wootsey irony? what the fuck?

I find it hard to like because it is something I liked when I was really into video games and star trek and having braces and greasy hair. things i liked then embarrass and repulse me.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Doc on January 26, 2009, 08:51:37 am
I read all the hitchhikers books and the dirk gentley books in high school and at the time I enjoyed them but found them to be a bit meandering and written in an off the cuff style that kind of irked me. I never really got an appreciation for Adams until I read the Salmon of Doubt and got to sample a lot of his non fiction and essay writing much of which reminds me (unsurprisingly really) of Stephen Fry. He put me onto Wodehouse and so I can't say a bad thing about the man.

I do not recognise the books LFM is describing at all. Remember this stuff was written in the mid 80s through early 90s, what might seem at first glance and with a modern mindset to be deliberately cutesy was at the time intended more as a very dark kind of despair at a nonsensical and buearocratic universe. Particularly Mostly Harmless.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: smick on January 26, 2009, 07:04:45 pm
closeted homosexual hating Freddy Mercury,

To build on what doc was saying, as a kid, I'd watch the Queen videos on MTV and god damn everything Mercury did just dripped of MACHO.  There's no irony in me telling you, him slapping his own white lycra covered ass, made me think he could punch out any dude and walk away with their girl.

Same thing is true of George Michael.  Him in the "Faith" video, against the Jukebox.  That is a tough, manly hombre that could just put his arms around me and hold me tight into his leather jacket with his strong arms and just... never let me go...

What I'm trying to say is: MTV made me gay for leather daddies.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: jay-ell on January 26, 2009, 07:31:43 pm
To build on what doc was saying, as a kid, I'd watch the Queen videos on MTV and god damn everything Mercury did just dripped of MACHO.  There's no irony in me telling you, him slapping his own white lycra covered ass, made me think he could punch out any dude and walk away with their girl.

Same thing is true of George Michael.  Him in the "Faith" video, against the Jukebox.  That is a tough, manly hombre that could just put his arms around me and hold me tight into his leather jacket with his strong arms and just... never let me go...

What I'm trying to say is: MTV made me gay for leather daddies.

QFT. 

Of course, now I'm hot for the idea of straight men who are gay for leather daddies, in some weird, recursive, paradoxical sort of way. 
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: jaydub on January 27, 2009, 01:51:10 am
Me, I've hated everything I've read of Steinbeck's.  I doubt the literary world is going to flock to my opinion any time soon.  Let's go sit on the stoop and grow into Old Cranks together.
I hated The Pearl, but mostly because it was so soul-crushingly sad - not because it was poorly written.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Doc on January 27, 2009, 02:37:40 am
To build on what doc was saying, as a kid, I'd watch the Queen videos on MTV and god damn everything Mercury did just dripped of MACHO.  There's no irony in me telling you, him slapping his own white lycra covered ass, made me think he could punch out any dude and walk away with their girl.

Same thing is true of George Michael.  Him in the "Faith" video, against the Jukebox.  That is a tough, manly hombre that could just put his arms around me and hold me tight into his leather jacket with his strong arms and just... never let me go...

What I'm trying to say is: MTV made me gay for leather daddies.

Yeah this too, Freddy Mercury is only gay in retrospect and because he has been aped by the gay community.
Also because I would totally do him.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: AugustWest on January 27, 2009, 02:44:42 am
Wow.  I love Freddy Mercury and I always have, but I think the guy was kind of homely.  I mean, wasn't there a whole chapter dedicated to him in The Big Book of British Smiles?
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2009, 03:48:48 am
Freddy Mercury owned the stage.  I've never seen a performer with more charisma.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: smick on January 27, 2009, 11:05:13 pm
Don't drink and drive my car!  Don't get breathalyzed!
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Bimmicus on January 28, 2009, 12:51:25 am
I think olde Freddles may have taken the maxim "have a good time, all the time" as far as it can possibly be took.

I do miss the insanely talented bastard.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 28, 2009, 03:16:33 am
Quote from: theinevitable
hipster-geek cutesy-wootsey irony? what the fuck?

You know what I mean. Uppercrust Boarding School insulated wankery. The kind of arrogantly condescending silliness that suffocates all of the actual humor in a sea of masturbatory smug self-satisfaction and all that's left is the twin residues of non-sequitur and secret buggery. Trying to be like Monty Python without realizing that unless you're supremely talented, that kind of thing isn't actually funny. Analogous to trying to be like The Simpsons and ending up with a karmabortion like The Family Guy.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: miles on January 28, 2009, 04:04:55 am
Analogous to trying to be like The Simpsons and ending up with a karmabortion like The Family Guy.

And I thought I was alone--most people I know love The Family Guy. I need to meet new people.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: jaydub on January 28, 2009, 04:08:00 am
Well, you've got us.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: miles on January 28, 2009, 04:38:03 am
Of course, but it helps in life to know a few non-imaginary people too.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 28, 2009, 04:50:50 am
If real-life humans don't understand the difference between "referencing something from the popular culture" and "making a joke" just call me Fakey McMadeup.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: miles on January 28, 2009, 04:56:54 am
Fair enough.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Doc on January 28, 2009, 05:19:24 am
After all this I almost forgot I actually listened to the interview. It was actually pretty good, mainly because the DJ seemed happy enough to let the conversation wander where it would, a few tidbits in there I was previously unaware of. Thanks Paul.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2009, 05:50:36 am
Ha, I was just coming to ask if anyone had actually listened to the interview.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: smick on January 28, 2009, 04:23:12 pm
If real-life humans don't understand the difference between "referencing something from the popular culture" and "making a joke" just call me Fakey McMadeup.

Yet somehow they keep incrementing the *Blank* Movie franchise.

It is my greatest sorrow to tell you that I actually went and saw Date Movie.  The ladyfriend and I saw it because of Alyson Hannigan.  Slightly unrelated and parallel, I was once at a pentecostal service and ended up the only person in the room not speaking in tongues.  Ladyfriend and I were the only movie goers who didn't find any of it funny.  Punch line after punch line of "I certainly saw that in a trailer for a different movie."
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2009, 06:48:27 pm
I've been to a Pentecostal church and watched that scene.  It's hard to keep a straight face, but it's pretty hilarious to watch.

When I lived in Utah I dated a girl who insisted White Chicks was the funniest film ever made.  I figured I had to watch it if I was going to get laid.  I gotta say The Wayans Brothers have really made me appreciate the good work that Pauly Shore was doing back in the 90's.*

*The joke here is that The Wayans Brothers are so unfunny that Pauly Shore seems funny by comparison.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: AugustWest on January 28, 2009, 10:10:31 pm
*The joke here is that The Wayans Brothers are so unfunny that Pauly Shore seems funny by comparison.

That explanation is really giving it the Wayans touch Paul.  Because if something is funny, it must be funnier if you squeeze every last drop of humor out of through repetition and making the joke really obvious.  Taking things to the extreme and then past it.  That's what those hilarious Wayans brothers do.  And you did that in your post, almost as if in tribute to them.  That's why it was funny.  Because you explained things to a ridiculous extent.  You used the funny like a hammer between the eyeballs.  And that's what the Wayans brothers do.  Which was funny.  To explain than in the same way the Wayans brothers would.  That way. Which was funny like Wayans brothers -- what you did.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 28, 2009, 10:16:52 pm
Tonight on the WB:  "Shitload of Wayanses," followed by "Three More Wayanses We Just Found."

(credit: the Onion a few years back)
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: smick on January 28, 2009, 10:21:56 pm
I've been to a Pentecostal church and watched that scene.  It's hard to keep a straight face, but it's pretty hilarious to watch.

I was a young teen, and hadn't ever seen or heard of anything like that.   I was cool with the singing and clapping, but the shuddering, arm waving, and gibbering invoked creeping terror.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: lprkn on January 29, 2009, 02:54:52 am
I figured I had to watch it if I was going to get laid.

Well?
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Choop on January 29, 2009, 07:26:33 am
come on we all know paul's a gentleman and gentlemen don't kiss and tell


so i'll tell it for him: "it was meh"
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2009, 04:39:10 pm
so i'll tell it for him: "it was meh"

Ha ha, yep.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: CortJstr on January 29, 2009, 05:16:52 pm
come on we all know paul's a gentleman and gentlemen don't kiss and tell


so i'll tell it for him: "it was meh"

Paul doesn't have to kiss and tell, because he has pictures. He can kiss and slideshow.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2009, 05:54:54 pm
I must add that she was very insistent.  She brought the movie over to my house and got angry when I told her I didn't want to watch it.  But she must have believed that I would have to change my opinion once I actually saw it because she brought it over again the next day. 

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDVi_myA540) it is condensed down to 7:30 seconds of the best stuff.  Most of this shit had her howling.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: AugustWest on January 29, 2009, 06:13:12 pm
Farts sure are funny.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Golfhaus on February 05, 2009, 12:41:30 am
Tonight on the WB:  "Shitload of Wayanses," followed by "Three More Wayanses We Just Found."

(credit: the Onion a few years back)

Kinda like how these days TBS stands for "Tyler's Black Sitcoms."
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: miles on February 05, 2009, 05:56:16 am
Jesus, really! I saw a promo for his sitcom that claimed it was the #1 cable sitcom of all time (not that there's a ton of competition) but watching the promo I wondered, does anyone, anywhere, think that shit is funny?
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2009, 02:27:47 pm
I just found out that Tyler Black existed like last week. I'm still not sure who he is or why's he's famous, but I now recognize that I should know his name. For some reason.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 05, 2009, 02:40:04 pm
I think you mean Tyler Perry.  Wikipedia says Tyler Black is a wrestler (though knowing Cort, maybe he does mean that guy).

He's done a bunch of movies that have been hits in the African-American community, but white folks hardly know about.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2009, 02:41:39 pm
Yes, Tyler Perry. I have heard of Tyler Black, too but I also don't know anything more than his name.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: AugustWest on February 05, 2009, 03:23:13 pm
Tyler Perry?  Wasn't he in Aerosmith?
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: jaydub on February 05, 2009, 05:27:13 pm
Tyler Perry?
(http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:hLAWehO7alHqIM:http://blogs.bet.com/entertainment/whattheflick/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/tyler_perry2.jpg)

Steve Tyler
(http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:PidDt9pMmVA_jM:http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/10535/10535.jpg)

Steve Perry
(http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:G5Jp2JXCQqCkKM:http://ilovesteveperry.com/images/StevePerry.jpg)
Someone should get these guys in a room, together.

I tried to find pictures of "Tyler Steve", "Perry Tyler", and "Perry Steve", but so far no one famous has had those combinations.
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2009, 01:06:50 am
Tyler Black

Nice Freudian slip there.  Also, I guess we could have stumped you on any Tyler Perry CortJstring had it ever come up.

Seriously though, I haven't actually seen any Tyler Perry.  How does his work compare to the Wayans Brothers?
Title: Re: Douglas Adams Interview
Post by: Choop on February 06, 2009, 07:07:30 am
infinitely worse: even more stereotypical, flatter "jokes," and more old-lady-drag