Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Douglas Adams Interview  (Read 8471 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Douglas Adams Interview
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:22:54 pm »

One of my friends was going through his archives and uncovered an interview he did with Douglas Adams in 1988.  It's a great listen.

Link
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:40:53 pm »

This is another questionable on my Geek Card: could never get into the Douglas Adams stuff.

Always seemed so... precious. So oh-gosh-I'm-so-clever-my-asshole's-winking-at-you.

The meaning of life is... forty-two? I mean, uh, great. There's something to be said for not mistaking a non-sequitur for a joke.

Douglas Adams, Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons. Three very nerdy things I just don't get.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:44:01 pm »

your first mistake is thinking that 42 is the meaning of life
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:25:33 pm »

Quote
The meaning of life is... forty-two? I mean, uh, great. There's something to be said for not mistaking a non-sequitur for a joke.

The books made me laugh a lot when I read them in high school, but people who make "42! haha! just like in Hitchhiker's Guide!" jokes make me want to kill.

this kid I hate at the radio station has a "42" tattoo.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 10:38:20 pm »

This is another questionable on my Geek Card: could never get into the Douglas Adams stuff.

Always seemed so... precious. So oh-gosh-I'm-so-clever-my-asshole's-winking-at-you.

The meaning of life is... forty-two? I mean, uh, great. There's something to be said for not mistaking a non-sequitur for a joke.

Douglas Adams, Lord of the Rings, Dungeons and Dragons. Three very nerdy things I just don't get.

Thanks for sharing.  Your favorite writer sucks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:51:42 pm »

I believe I would pay money to see someones asshole wink at me.

On second thought, no I would not.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:03:31 am »

I believe I would pay money to see someones asshole wink at me.

I'm gonna have to call Rule 34 on that one.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 03:07:07 am »

I'm gonna have to call Rule 34 on that one.

Too easy.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 05:39:10 am »

The books made me laugh a lot when I read them in high school, but people who make "42! haha! just like in Hitchhiker's Guide!" jokes make me want to kill.

this kid I hate at the radio station has a "42" tattoo.

Fans are Not The Artist.

Man, all too often rabid fans quickly ruin the enjoyment of things.   Like that Mary Manson guy.  I recently discovered I enjoyed some of his music.  The trappings of his fans put me right off, and kept me from giving it any thought.

So yea, I could see where TOWEL TOWEL TOWEL 42 42 42! TOWEL HOOPYFROOD BABELgiraffe TOWEL TOWEL BATHROBE 42 would be off putting.  I gotta say though, as all-too-precious as he seems to you Lil' Falls, the fellow can write.  He also did more than write a bunch of silly books with seussian words.

Me, I've hated everything I've read of Steinbeck's.  I doubt the literary world is going to flock to my opinion any time soon.  Let's go sit on the stoop and grow into Old Cranks together.

In other news: My son enjoys the works of Eoin Colfer, and I've read a couple of them myself.   He's the author who has been selected to the next book in the Hitchhiker series by Adams' wife.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 05:57:22 am »

Remember:

I despise the veins of precious cutesy-wootsey hipster-geek irony in my own style and attempted works and so there is an extent to which my hating Adams is a bit like a closeted homosexual hating Freddy Mercury, not so much because "Fat Bottomed Girls" is not a rocking song, but because he hates the part of himself that wants to scream in falsetto in bicycle shorts for one hundred thousand people strong.

There may be an element of projection in my disdain for what I've read of Adams work.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 07:26:40 am »

this is also kind of my problem with it. except I don't think that anything about hitchhikers guide could be described with the words lfm used.
hipster-geek cutesy-wootsey irony? what the fuck?

I find it hard to like because it is something I liked when I was really into video games and star trek and having braces and greasy hair. things i liked then embarrass and repulse me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:40:13 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 08:51:37 am »

I read all the hitchhikers books and the dirk gentley books in high school and at the time I enjoyed them but found them to be a bit meandering and written in an off the cuff style that kind of irked me. I never really got an appreciation for Adams until I read the Salmon of Doubt and got to sample a lot of his non fiction and essay writing much of which reminds me (unsurprisingly really) of Stephen Fry. He put me onto Wodehouse and so I can't say a bad thing about the man.

I do not recognise the books LFM is describing at all. Remember this stuff was written in the mid 80s through early 90s, what might seem at first glance and with a modern mindset to be deliberately cutesy was at the time intended more as a very dark kind of despair at a nonsensical and buearocratic universe. Particularly Mostly Harmless.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:15:49 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 07:04:45 pm »

closeted homosexual hating Freddy Mercury,

To build on what doc was saying, as a kid, I'd watch the Queen videos on MTV and god damn everything Mercury did just dripped of MACHO.  There's no irony in me telling you, him slapping his own white lycra covered ass, made me think he could punch out any dude and walk away with their girl.

Same thing is true of George Michael.  Him in the "Faith" video, against the Jukebox.  That is a tough, manly hombre that could just put his arms around me and hold me tight into his leather jacket with his strong arms and just... never let me go...

What I'm trying to say is: MTV made me gay for leather daddies.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 07:31:43 pm »

To build on what doc was saying, as a kid, I'd watch the Queen videos on MTV and god damn everything Mercury did just dripped of MACHO.  There's no irony in me telling you, him slapping his own white lycra covered ass, made me think he could punch out any dude and walk away with their girl.

Same thing is true of George Michael.  Him in the "Faith" video, against the Jukebox.  That is a tough, manly hombre that could just put his arms around me and hold me tight into his leather jacket with his strong arms and just... never let me go...

What I'm trying to say is: MTV made me gay for leather daddies.

QFT. 

Of course, now I'm hot for the idea of straight men who are gay for leather daddies, in some weird, recursive, paradoxical sort of way. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Adams Interview
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 01:51:10 am »

Me, I've hated everything I've read of Steinbeck's.  I doubt the literary world is going to flock to my opinion any time soon.  Let's go sit on the stoop and grow into Old Cranks together.
I hated The Pearl, but mostly because it was so soul-crushingly sad - not because it was poorly written.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up