The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jay-ell on January 28, 2009, 07:06:09 pm

Title: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2009, 07:06:09 pm
It's official:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1129882/Cult-series-Red-Dwarf-set-come-Earth-TV-special.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1129882/Cult-series-Red-Dwarf-set-come-Earth-TV-special.html)

And since the first 5 seasons are available via Netflix Instant Access, nobody has an excuse for not coming up to speed on the Boyz from the Dwarf. 

Who's excited?  (Me.  I am.) 
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: wombat on January 28, 2009, 07:17:18 pm
OK, but how do I get to see it if I do not live in England?
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: CortJstr on January 28, 2009, 07:19:22 pm
I'll believe it when I see. Much like the movie they've been working on for 7 years.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2009, 07:19:35 pm
That's a pretty good show.  Are they bringing back the original cast?
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Bimmicus on January 28, 2009, 08:32:34 pm
Norman Lovett is not being asked back as Holly, mainly because he's a whiny cunt they can't afford him. No word on whether Hattie Hayridge is going to partake or if Holly is going to be in it at all. The four mains are all involved, though. Robert Llewellyn has been blogging about it (too lazy to fnd lnk), and he has described the budget for these four shows as "itty-bitty."

Two of the episodes are not going to be "episodes," per se - I've heard references to a half-hour improv session and a "clip show with a difference," which may be the same thing, but only two of the episodes are supposedly in continuity or whatever.

Personally, speaking as a guy on the Internet, I suspect these shows are going to be disappointing, unfunny, and a depressing reminder of our own fleeting mortality. Could be wrong though!
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2009, 09:38:54 pm
OK, but how do I get to see it if I do not live in England?

Hopefully, BBC America/PBS.  That's my best guess, anyway. 

If nothing else, there should be a DVD release a few months after the original airdate.  And it'll probably end up on Netflix Instant eventually.  That's probably how I'll catch it. 
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on January 28, 2009, 09:41:40 pm
If I actually, properly enjoy these I'll eat a pair of my own socks.

(Left one for the first episode, right one for the second. Fair's fair.)
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Bimmicus on January 28, 2009, 09:52:48 pm
Hey, here's something all official-like (may be spoilerish):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7851989.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7851989.stm)
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: wombat on January 28, 2009, 10:09:08 pm
Hopefully, BBC America/PBS.  That's my best guess, anyway. 

But apparently it is not a BBC production?

But Bimmicus is right. Odds are it's going to be perfectly awful. There is no point in being in a rush to be disappointed. Although it looks like I could be disappointed in advance by weekly blog updates (http://dave.uktv.co.uk/library/red-dwarf/red-dwarf-returns-earth-dave/) if I like.

Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2009, 10:42:13 pm
The new logo is shiny.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Bimmicus on January 28, 2009, 11:28:32 pm
Sigh... Hattie... sexiest disembodied head ever, amirite?
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2009, 11:35:56 pm
Hey, here's something all official-like (may be spoilerish):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7851989.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7851989.stm)


So, that is the thing I meant to link to in the first place.  Sorry. 

I'm trying to keep my hope alive.  But honestly, Craig Charles rocks my world, so it doesn't really matter if the show sucks.  He's so beautiful, he can do no wrong. 

I even find his odd habit of forgetting to close his mouth at the end of words ending in "-er" a little bit endearing.  I get a chill up my spine every time he says "Rimmah." 
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Bimmicus on January 29, 2009, 12:22:40 am
Speaking as a red-blooded boob-loving male, I always found Mr. Charles kinda dishy myself.

It's the accent. I'm a right sucker for accents.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Doc on January 29, 2009, 04:28:39 am
Oh man, I want it so bad but I just know I'm gonna get hurt again. Did you people SEE series 7 and 8? Was worst show, made with ugliest script.

Though I could stadn to see the Cat do the shuttle dance again.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: smick on January 29, 2009, 06:47:42 am
I almost always wore ##### during showings of "***** Wars".  Almost.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 29, 2009, 07:14:32 am
...you guys just got a checklist of "Nerdy Things I Could Never Get Into" and you're just rolling down it, one by one, aren't you?
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: theinevitable on January 29, 2009, 07:17:36 am
I have never watched this show, but I associate it with this guy who was my best friend until I realized he was a jerk.

Sorry, TV show.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: jay-ell on January 29, 2009, 03:39:34 pm
Oh man, I want it so bad but I just know I'm gonna get hurt again. Did you people SEE series 7 and 8? Was worst show, made with ugliest script.

Though I could stadn to see the Cat do the shuttle dance again.

See, I could stand to see the Cat get sucked out of an airlock and never heard from again. 

Also, I am really hoping to go the rest of my life without ever having to see Kryten cry again. 
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: CortJstr on January 29, 2009, 05:16:06 pm
See, I could stand to see the Cat get sucked out of an airlock and never heard from again. 

Also, I am really hoping to go the rest of my life without ever having to see Kryten cry again. 

But ambivalent Kryten is pretty sweet. And the Cat had that Tongue Tied song back in series 3 or 4.

To the series 7 and 8 haters out there I have one word: Cassandra.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: smick on January 29, 2009, 06:11:02 pm
The other night the ladyfriend and I were watching the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.   At one point Picard commanded the ship go from Red Alert to Yellow Alert, and I announced to the living room, "Are you sure, sir?  It would mean changing the bulb."

Then someone stole my gym clothes.

fin.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Choop on January 30, 2009, 07:18:44 am
what is this red dwarf
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: AugustWest on January 30, 2009, 02:09:38 pm
what is this red dwarf

I think it's a brand of chewing tobacco.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: jaydub on January 30, 2009, 03:01:31 pm
Its a minor British role-playing magazine.  They cover a lot of Warhammer stuff.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Doc on January 30, 2009, 03:38:47 pm
It's one of those cheeky cockney euphemisms for venereal disease.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 30, 2009, 04:58:22 pm
A failed Soviet kitsch micro-brew beer from the late 1990s.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Drygioni on January 30, 2009, 06:51:23 pm
The b-side on Lust For Life by Iggy Pop
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Choop on January 31, 2009, 08:13:54 am
i see the dear john letter has spilled into this thread

lemme get a red dwarf and clean this up

(red dwarf is a competitor product to sham-wow)


also can'd
all of you
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: AugustWest on January 31, 2009, 10:15:02 pm
It's a floor wax and a dessert topping.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: theinevitable on January 31, 2009, 10:32:53 pm
In I forget what video game, the Red Dwarves were small, shitty stars that never had any habitable planets. Just charred-out radiated crap planets.

Also, that warhammer magazine.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: jay-ell on January 31, 2009, 11:01:07 pm
In I forget what video game, the Red Dwarves were small, shitty stars that never had any habitable planets. Just charred-out radiated crap planets.


That's also true in The Actual Solar System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dwarf). 
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: pmcd9 on February 01, 2009, 12:29:15 am
And we've come full circle.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Lister on February 03, 2009, 07:19:23 am
I'm going to jump in here and disassociate my name from this show.  I chose it as a pseudonym before they made a guy be named that in space.

Though it did make logging on to a MUD with this name and an admin named MrFlibble really, really, really confusing.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: CortJstr on February 03, 2009, 02:14:42 pm
I'm going to jump in here and disassociate my name from this show.  I chose it as a pseudonym before they made a guy be named that in space.

Though it did make logging on to a MUD with this name and an admin named MrFlibble really, really, really confusing.

Wow, I've only been CortJstr since '94 or '95 so I have to give props to a pre-1987 computer name.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: AugustWest on February 03, 2009, 02:16:32 pm
I'm going to jump in here and disassociate my name from this show.  I chose it as a pseudonym before they made a guy be named that in space.

Though it did make logging on to a MUD with this name and an admin named MrFlibble really, really, really confusing.

I always thought your name referred to the pioneer of microbiology.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: lprkn on February 03, 2009, 03:39:32 pm
I thought it had something to do with Listerine?
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 03, 2009, 03:41:36 pm
 I figured he just liked to make lists.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: AugustWest on February 03, 2009, 04:10:23 pm
I thought it had something to do with Listerine?

That's the same as what I thought. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listerine)
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Lister on February 03, 2009, 07:54:39 pm
I'm named for a library (http://www.uab.edu/lister/) that was named for a guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Lister_Hill) who was named after that guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Lister).  Also, it's like one vowel off from my middle name.

That said, I kind of liked the book Better Than Life.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on April 01, 2009, 11:03:12 pm
I understand they're making this three full episodes now. I said I'd eat my left hat if I properly enjoy the first and my right if I properly enjoy the second. So what should I do if I properly enjoy the third?
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: jay-ell on April 02, 2009, 02:15:20 am
Nowhere to go except under#####, my friend. 
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: lprkn on April 02, 2009, 07:29:45 am
You'd make a very splendid computer, Mr. Spock.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Choop on April 02, 2009, 07:36:13 am
by "sock" do you mean "rampaging hippopotamus" "hat" or "sock"
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on April 02, 2009, 11:25:05 am
by "sock" do you mean "rampaging hippopotamus" "hat" or "sock"

I just realised I'd made this mistake and I RUSHED to an internet connection to fix it.

Transitions are hard.

In my defence I was confused because I was referring to a previous message from when the New Plan was not in place.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on April 10, 2009, 08:32:26 pm
Well... that's one hat safe.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: wombat on April 10, 2009, 08:59:18 pm
Nooo. Really?
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Doc on April 12, 2009, 10:27:34 am
Yeah... I wouldn't characterise that as 'proper good'. Sadly. Maybe forgivable in that it was mainly set up but it wasn't very funny set up. Oh well, there's always the old dvds.
And Kochanski's dead, it's got that going for it.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: chen2x18 on May 19, 2009, 08:39:50 am
An alert is make a situation that they need to use the yellow alert,but i think it was nice from them..


_________________
LED Flashlight (http://www.flashlightz.com/)

Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: kellichou on June 18, 2009, 03:51:32 am
CAN'D!  <3 to microbiology AND the British show!!!

I always thought your name referred to the pioneer of microbiology.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Choop on December 03, 2010, 07:39:17 am
i just started watching the original series, thinking i wouldn't much care for it. dunno why, it's pretty brilliant innit? i'm only eight episodes in, but i can see it lasting four series, which has me worried for the four that follow.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Doc on December 03, 2010, 01:33:25 pm
It might have just been the point I entered the series but for my money series V is the best. Then it goes downhill like a drunk in a street luge.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2010, 02:47:32 pm
I finally watched Back to Earth a couple months ago. Ugh.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2010, 03:34:09 pm
I've heard of this show for years and never watched it. We're almost done with the X Files. Maybe we'll try it out after that. Is it laugh out loud funny? A rollicking farce?

We did recently do "League of Gentlemen" and "Psychoville". Those were pretty awesome.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2010, 03:44:25 pm
I've heard of this show for years and never watched it. We're almost done with the X Files. Maybe we'll try it out after that. Is it laugh out loud funny? A rollicking farce?

It's British comedy so no.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2010, 03:46:53 pm
It's British comedy so no.

What? There's never been anything as shriekingly funny as Mollie Sugden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mollie_Sugden) talking about her pussy.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Choop on December 03, 2010, 03:47:36 pm
i've caught myself laughing out loud on occasion.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: miles on December 04, 2010, 12:21:32 am
I remember watching some episodes years ago and I love what I saw, but haven't been able to get into it since. Maybe I've just been watching the wrong seasons. I'll have to give it another go.

It's British comedy so no.

In the Loop (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226774/combined) is fuck*ng hilarious. I think Judy mentioned it here first.
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Choop on January 21, 2011, 06:24:01 pm
uh oh (http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/1/21/new-red-dwarf-series-confirmed-craig-charles/)
Title: Re: Red Dwarf Returns!
Post by: Doc on January 22, 2011, 11:21:40 am
I chose to ignore this development. Red Dwarf ended with series 7.