The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on February 07, 2009, 01:02:30 am

Title: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: wombat on February 07, 2009, 01:02:30 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02062009 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02062009)

"You ain't rad for suckin'; you lame for bein'" would have been the thread title if I understood what it meant exactly.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2009, 02:44:07 am
I think Onstad is taking Ray's advice Re:  working hard at your job.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: jay-ell on February 07, 2009, 02:59:33 am
This is the first time in several years I've gotten a birthday strip at all, so I'm satisfied. 
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: AugustWest on February 07, 2009, 03:23:40 am
Fuck you all, I called it. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4831.msg129741.html#msg129741)
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 07, 2009, 03:28:09 am
"Morrissey" is the worst insult of all.

As it is written, as it should be.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: Golfhaus on February 08, 2009, 01:01:33 am
Fuck You Fridays are kinda formulaic, but god DAMN it's a good formula.

Bill Cosby is one of those people that probably needs to die in the next two years or so for it to be a major news story. After that, enough people will either not care or not remember enough for it be more than a two-minute blurb on Entertainment Tonight and a mention on the next Grammy Awards show.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2009, 04:59:47 am
Bill Cosby is one of those people that probably needs to die in the next two years or so for it to be a major news story. After that, enough people will either not care or not remember enough for it be more than a two-minute blurb on Entertainment Tonight and a mention on the next Grammy Awards show.

I think you have no idea how beloved Bill Cosby is.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 08, 2009, 09:06:03 am
Y'know, though?

I think Bill Cosby has wasted a lot of that built-up belovedness by spending the last fifteen years basically doing nothing other than being the old guy who hates and misunderstands the current popular culture in the same manner as he used to mock when he wore a younger man's cardigan sweater. If he was spending his time, you know, acting in movies or doing stand-up instead of hating African-American youth culture more than many klan members do, he'd be a lot less tarnished.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: lprkn on February 08, 2009, 08:21:30 pm
Bill Cosby could live 50 more years, and they would still have a special on him on more than one news channel and probably Comedy Central when he kicked the bucket.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2009, 08:45:51 pm
hating African-American youth culture more than many klan members do,

Granted, but why do you think that is?

And why shouldn't he express his opinion?
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 08, 2009, 10:11:34 pm
Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to say whatever he likes with the platform his previous success has earned him.

I'm just saying that it complicates his legacy and most likely waters down any across-the-board beatification when dude passes.

I just dislike it when people lose perspective about the great shitty circle of the human experience and rail against the next generation in the same simple one-dimensional way that they hated being railed against thirty or forty years ago. I suppose that I do consider it a signficant intellectual weakness that the truly great comic storytellers like a Twain or a Carlin or a Vonnegut or whatever never gave into.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2009, 10:30:00 pm
Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to say whatever he likes with the platform his previous success has earned him.

I'm just saying that it complicates his legacy and most likely waters down any across-the-board beatification when dude passes.

I just dislike it when people lose perspective about the great shitty circle of the human experience and rail against the next generation in the same simple one-dimensional way that they hated being railed against thirty or forty years ago. I suppose that I do consider it a signficant intellectual weakness that the truly great comic storytellers like a Twain or a Carlin or a Vonnegut or whatever never gave into.

Is it entirely impossible that what he is saying has some validity?
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 08, 2009, 10:43:25 pm
Oh, I'm sure that he has some points to make on the subject. But the situational hypocrisy of Bill Cosby's early career challenging racial barriers and stereotypes in his roles and choices, only to turn around and apply ugly stereotypes to the next generation, negates almost all of the value of even his valid points. Probably sets the argument backward, in fact, because he makes such a joke of himself by going down that path.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: AugustWest on February 08, 2009, 11:13:18 pm
What ugly stereotypes is he applying?
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: jay-ell on February 09, 2009, 05:28:05 am
THIS WAY LIES MADNESS
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: AugustWest on February 09, 2009, 05:53:08 am
THIS WAY LIES MADNESS

Mwahahahahahahahah
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 09, 2009, 03:24:18 pm
What ugly stereotypes is he applying?

Quote from: Bill Cosby
Oh, oh: you see, the kids, they listen to the rap music which gives them the brain damage.  With their hippin', and the hoppin', and the bippin', and the boppin', so they don't know what the jazz...is all about!  You see, jazz is like the Jello Pudding Pop -- no, actually, it's more like Kodak film -- no, actually, jazz is like the New Coke: it'll be around forever, heh heh heh.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: side_show on February 09, 2009, 07:51:34 pm
15 minutes of free time to visit, and it's a strip I could have read two years ago with a bonus standard circular argument here.  I don't have the energy to stick around for (or prompt) the "that's not what I actually meant" retraction" so I'm gonna go watch Mythbusters instead.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: miles on February 10, 2009, 02:21:06 am
Oh, oh: you see, the kids, they listen to the rap music which gives them the brain damage.  With their hippin', and the hoppin', and the bippin', and the boppin', so they don't know what the jazz...is all about!  You see, jazz is like the Jello Pudding Pop -- no, actually, it's more like Kodak film -- no, actually, jazz is like the New Coke: it'll be around forever, heh heh heh.

Heh, I was on my way to find that quote as soon as I read AW's post. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 11, 2009, 02:43:32 pm
Why does Ray the wealthy cat have lumber and a saw in his hands/paws?  This feature is not mentioned nor explained and the reason is left to the reader's imagination.

The reader's imagination is a dangerous place to be.
Title: Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
Post by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2009, 03:09:10 pm
That was my favorite part of the strip.