Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle  (Read 3717 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« on: February 07, 2009, 01:02:30 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02062009

"You ain't rad for suckin'; you lame for bein'" would have been the thread title if I understood what it meant exactly.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:44:07 am »

I think Onstad is taking Ray's advice Re:  working hard at your job.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 02:59:33 am »

This is the first time in several years I've gotten a birthday strip at all, so I'm satisfied. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 03:23:40 am »

Fuck you all, I called it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:28:09 am »

"Morrissey" is the worst insult of all.

As it is written, as it should be.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 01:01:33 am »

Fuck You Fridays are kinda formulaic, but god DAMN it's a good formula.

Bill Cosby is one of those people that probably needs to die in the next two years or so for it to be a major news story. After that, enough people will either not care or not remember enough for it be more than a two-minute blurb on Entertainment Tonight and a mention on the next Grammy Awards show.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 04:59:47 am »

Bill Cosby is one of those people that probably needs to die in the next two years or so for it to be a major news story. After that, enough people will either not care or not remember enough for it be more than a two-minute blurb on Entertainment Tonight and a mention on the next Grammy Awards show.

I think you have no idea how beloved Bill Cosby is.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 09:06:03 am »

Y'know, though?

I think Bill Cosby has wasted a lot of that built-up belovedness by spending the last fifteen years basically doing nothing other than being the old guy who hates and misunderstands the current popular culture in the same manner as he used to mock when he wore a younger man's cardigan sweater. If he was spending his time, you know, acting in movies or doing stand-up instead of hating African-American youth culture more than many klan members do, he'd be a lot less tarnished.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:21:30 pm »

Bill Cosby could live 50 more years, and they would still have a special on him on more than one news channel and probably Comedy Central when he kicked the bucket.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 08:45:51 pm »

hating African-American youth culture more than many klan members do,

Granted, but why do you think that is?

And why shouldn't he express his opinion?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 10:11:34 pm »

Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to say whatever he likes with the platform his previous success has earned him.

I'm just saying that it complicates his legacy and most likely waters down any across-the-board beatification when dude passes.

I just dislike it when people lose perspective about the great shitty circle of the human experience and rail against the next generation in the same simple one-dimensional way that they hated being railed against thirty or forty years ago. I suppose that I do consider it a signficant intellectual weakness that the truly great comic storytellers like a Twain or a Carlin or a Vonnegut or whatever never gave into.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 10:30:00 pm »

Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to say whatever he likes with the platform his previous success has earned him.

I'm just saying that it complicates his legacy and most likely waters down any across-the-board beatification when dude passes.

I just dislike it when people lose perspective about the great shitty circle of the human experience and rail against the next generation in the same simple one-dimensional way that they hated being railed against thirty or forty years ago. I suppose that I do consider it a signficant intellectual weakness that the truly great comic storytellers like a Twain or a Carlin or a Vonnegut or whatever never gave into.

Is it entirely impossible that what he is saying has some validity?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:43:25 pm »

Oh, I'm sure that he has some points to make on the subject. But the situational hypocrisy of Bill Cosby's early career challenging racial barriers and stereotypes in his roles and choices, only to turn around and apply ugly stereotypes to the next generation, negates almost all of the value of even his valid points. Probably sets the argument backward, in fact, because he makes such a joke of himself by going down that path.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:13:18 pm »

What ugly stereotypes is he applying?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Feb 6 2009 - Grocery carts with rain on the handle
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 05:28:05 am »

THIS WAY LIES MADNESS
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up