The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Victoria Waterfield on February 12, 2009, 02:11:12 am

Title: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on February 12, 2009, 02:11:12 am
Hey, there is a new Achewood!

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02112009

It's… good?
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: AugustWest on February 12, 2009, 02:21:38 am
meh.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: wombat on February 12, 2009, 02:24:26 am
Have I lost my mind? The "what do we really know about a nacho - that it's melted cheese on chips" thing gives me a strong feeling of deja vu. Something from one of the New Yorker sandwich blogs maybe?
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 12, 2009, 02:58:01 am
Is this strip all a meta-analogy to itself?

The food metaphorically representing what remains for the free strip (the... actual Achewood, you know) when the paysite and the side projects and all that take up all the "good food". Here are the stale Albertson's tortilla rounds and Velveeta slices of Achewood, as it were. A few foodie references, a modification of the foodie reference with "old school/ghetto/small times" fringes.

The Braveheart reference is those drips from the bottom of a Tabasco bottle found in the back of the fridge.

If it is as I postulate, holy shit is this funny.

If not... meh.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: pmcd9 on February 12, 2009, 04:09:13 am
What is happening here, in this strip?  Ray is being lazy by eating cold cheese on a tortilla chip and he gets busted by Teodor on it so he makes up something about it being some new thing.  Only T is not buying it.  Instead he suggest something better which Ray naturally goes for.  T seems angry though that Ray has basically ordered him to produce this dish he suggested.

Ray and Teodor have a strange relationship.  It's uneasy.  I don't think they really like one another much, but they seem to have a lot of mutual interest.

Anyway, I think I have those very ingredients in my kitchen.  It's not quite 12:45 yet, but I think I'm gonna have some migas.

Also, it's kinda weird that I thought wow, another strip already, it's only been... 5 days since the last one.  Damn he's spoiling us.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 12, 2009, 04:14:28 am
Have I lost my mind? The "what do we really know about a nacho - that it's melted cheese on chips" thing gives me a strong feeling of deja vu. Something from one of the New Yorker sandwich blogs maybe?

Tostada Monthly
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Doc on February 12, 2009, 04:58:44 am
I'm ambivalent but did the first few panels strike anyone else as being like one of those cooking show set ups where the host is having all these 'friends' around? 'Oh hi Jeremy, fancy you being here I was just making some tumeric based carb chips.'
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Bimmicus on February 12, 2009, 05:21:54 am
Sucked.

What the hell happened to this comic.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 12, 2009, 05:34:18 am
Quote from: Doc
one of those cooking show set ups where the host is having all these 'friends' around

The weirdest one of these was the Molto Mario where for some reason, amidst his three random friends was Michael Stipe of REM. There was no mention of him being the guy from the one band in the world where their greatest hits album is actually all their best songs (seriously) and he just asked the two or three incredibly lame questions that the people like that always asked. He was even refered to as "Michael" but it was never connotated in any special way. It really weirded me out.

All I could think was... are they lovers? I mean, I'm pretty sure they're both guy oriented but...

I was so confused. Why was he on there if he wasn't plugging his newest wuss-rock project?
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 12, 2009, 01:03:53 pm
The weirdest one of these was the Molto Mario where for some reason, amidst his three random friends was Michael Stipe of REM.

[snip]

All I could think was... are they lovers? I mean, I'm pretty sure they're both guy oriented but...

This is the most disgusting slash fiction I have ever read.

Seriously, Mario Battalli and Michael Stipe as lovers is like a sickly naked mole rat and Jabba the Hutt gettin' it on.

I mean, seriously, dude. Not cool.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: lprkn on February 12, 2009, 01:30:46 pm
After looking up this Mario fella's wikipedia entry, I'd have to agree.

Also, the greatest hits thing: so true.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: theauthors on February 12, 2009, 01:57:39 pm
so this was the other of the two comics he posted up on premium updates way back at the end of january. it just adds the bottom two rows. so those two rows took about two weeks to draw. and it isnt even any fuck*ng good

who wants to bet that the next strip is a Fuck You Friday :(
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 12, 2009, 02:10:38 pm
Well, I liked it.  I think the correct title for this thread would have been "Don't egghead in the ghetto."

Is T really angry, or is he concentrating really hard to help make the bottle appear in Ray's hand.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 12, 2009, 02:15:57 pm
so this was the other of the two comics he posted up on premium updates way back at the end of january. it just adds the bottom two rows. so those two rows took about two weeks to draw. and it isnt even any fuck*ng good

who wants to bet that the next strip is a Fuck You Friday :(

Achewood will be awesome when it is ONLY fuck you fridays.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: wombat on February 12, 2009, 03:19:55 pm
so this was the other of the two comics he posted up on premium updates way back at the end of january.

That's it. It was just the conversation without the pictures, on the premium updates. That's why I had that weird feeling that I'd heard it before but not seen the pictures.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: AugustWest on February 12, 2009, 06:14:48 pm
You know, it IS all about denyin' expectations at this level. 

Especially if this level is the one where you expect a funny strip on a regular basis.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 12, 2009, 06:17:59 pm
If you didnt find it funny I'm sure you can write Onstad and he'd give you a full refund!
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 12, 2009, 06:36:37 pm
Quote from: lprkn
Also, the greatest hits thing: so true.

"Hey, Nightswimming is a pretty cool song, I wonder if the album is..."

*DISAPPOINT'D!*

"I like that Andy Kaufman song, maybe I should find the CD used at the..."

*DISAPPOINT'D!*
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: AugustWest on February 12, 2009, 07:22:13 pm
If you didnt find it funny I'm sure you can write Onstad and he'd give you a full refund!

BACNT!
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on February 12, 2009, 07:35:11 pm
Yeah, wow. This.. is a first for me.  This is the first Achewood strip I've read that not only isn't amusing, but I can't even see the point he's driving at.  Is Ray supposed to be depressed?  Why is Teodor humoring him?  And why are they both acting like they are trying to honk out massive poops in the last few panels?  I realize this is free cartoon animal entertainment, but.. man.  What the hell happened to my favorite webcomic?
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: pmcd9 on February 12, 2009, 07:54:21 pm
The 'we have no right to complain because it's free' argument is so tired and stupid.  Are we not allowed to have an opinion of the strip because we didn't pay anything for it?
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 12, 2009, 08:01:12 pm
The 'we have no right to complain because it's free' argument is so tired and stupid.  Are we not allowed to have an opinion of the strip because we didn't pay anything for it?

These opinions have become blaring and repetitive. More effort is spent in expressing the same opinion one had last strip, and the strip before, and the strip before, and the strip before, ad-motherfuck*ng-nauseam, then would have been spent in just quietly abandoning the strip and finding other interests. Hell, some people here are talented enough to WRITE and DRAW a better Achewood than Achewood, if they actually spent the effort doing so, rather than the time bellyaching.

So, yes, everyone has a right to complain, but the old adage applies; the complaints are like assholes. Not fun to see and not producing anything USEFUL. Almost everyone here (yourself included, good sir) is smart enough to produce something better than Achewood if they expended their energy there rather than dissipating it with exactly the same complaints as before.

This waste of potential sickens me.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 12, 2009, 08:42:26 pm
Apropos of nothing, I just got a marketing e-mail from Joe's Crab Shack that included a picture of the "Rockin Poppin Pomegranate Margarita."  I couldn't help but think of Fiesta Max. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08202007)
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: AugustWest on February 12, 2009, 08:54:40 pm
Almost everyone here (yourself included, good sir) is smart enough to produce something better than Achewood

I'm not.

Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 12, 2009, 09:19:54 pm
"Hey, Nightswimming is a pretty cool song, I wonder if the album is..."

*DISAPPOINT'D!*

"I like that Andy Kaufman song, maybe I should find the CD used at the..."

*DISAPPOINT'D!*

I am not really sure what you are talking about with the whole Greatest Hits thing cause I haven't heard it, but what the fuck are you talking about here?  You know those are on the same album right?  Do you keep buying and returning Automatic for the People? 

Is the Greatest Hits a 4-CD set with Reckoning, Murmer and New Adventures in Hi-Fi and the two good songs on the rest of their albums?  Cause that would actually be pretty bad ass.  The also cover King of the Road, that should be on there.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Harlock Hero on February 12, 2009, 10:33:29 pm
"Hey, Nightswimming is a pretty cool song, I wonder if the album is..."

*DISAPPOINT'D!*

"I like that Andy Kaufman song, maybe I should find the CD used at the..."

*DISAPPOINT'D!*

Man, more like...

"Hey, 'The One I Love' is pretty neat, let's check this shit out."

*DOCUMENT*

<3




I mean to say that the album "Document" is badass first to last.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: robot_god on February 13, 2009, 12:03:26 am

This waste of potential sickens me.


::hangs head in shame::
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: jay-ell on February 13, 2009, 12:32:40 am

This waste of potential sickens me.


Who are you, my third grade teacher? 
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Doc on February 13, 2009, 12:34:42 am
Yeah but you've published more articles in the last month than Onstad has comics.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: pmcd9 on February 13, 2009, 01:16:14 am
Anyway, I think I have those very ingredients in my kitchen.  It's not quite 12:45 yet, but I think I'm gonna have some migas.

In honor of the strip I made some tasty migas (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3275678574/).  It took the Teodor part of my brain to think up the idea and the Ray part of my brain to make it happen.

Cue up Braveheart.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 13, 2009, 02:05:41 am
Oh, CAPABLE of creating great things, sure.

Capable of sustaining the effort in the face of real life's outrageous slings and shitty arrows?

I'd... need a lot of support staff to do that. haha.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: wombat on February 13, 2009, 03:13:48 am
I'm capable of creating and capable of sustaining the effort in the face of real life and repeated rejection. A lot of good it does when so far I'm not capable of getting any attention paid to the work. Not sure what else I can do about my wasted potential other than keep banging my head against the wall.

There's a lot of shit that has to come together for any kind of creative success. Onstad may have very poor work habits but I'm not going to sneer at them just because I've never missed a deadline. Because obviously his flakiness has gotten him farther than my absolute reliability.

Coming back to another topic, I really need a pomegranate margarita but that place isn't any closer than Gaithersburg. Damn.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 13, 2009, 03:43:29 am
There's one in Fairfax!  Come on out!
…actually, don't, it's not that good.  Joe's Crab Shack, I mean, never had the margarita.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 13, 2009, 03:57:20 am

Coming back to another topic, I really need a pomegranate margarita but that place isn't any closer than Gaithersburg. Damn.

Skewers in Dupont Circle has a nice one
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 13, 2009, 06:28:49 am
Is Skewers a gay bar?

That would be the single most amazing name for a gay bar ever.
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 13, 2009, 06:33:09 am
Is Skewers a gay bar?

That would be the single most amazing name for a gay bar ever.

It's a middle eastern restaurant and bar, which means you're only gay if you receive the skewer.

Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: dejavroom on February 13, 2009, 10:22:29 am
re: the strip, I actually got more interested - actually, psyched -about a little note from the paid content widget saying something along the lines of "Ray sits at the piano for the first time in ages..."


FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!
Title: Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
Post by: wombat on February 13, 2009, 01:52:03 pm
It's too bad when someone has over sixty thousand tiny cans of Dr Pepper, it makes it seem so pointless to give them another.