Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level  (Read 6516 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile

Hey, there is a new Achewood!

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02112009

It's… good?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 02:21:38 am »

meh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:24:26 am »

Have I lost my mind? The "what do we really know about a nacho - that it's melted cheese on chips" thing gives me a strong feeling of deja vu. Something from one of the New Yorker sandwich blogs maybe?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 02:58:01 am »

Is this strip all a meta-analogy to itself?

The food metaphorically representing what remains for the free strip (the... actual Achewood, you know) when the paysite and the side projects and all that take up all the "good food". Here are the stale Albertson's tortilla rounds and Velveeta slices of Achewood, as it were. A few foodie references, a modification of the foodie reference with "old school/ghetto/small times" fringes.

The Braveheart reference is those drips from the bottom of a Tabasco bottle found in the back of the fridge.

If it is as I postulate, holy shit is this funny.

If not... meh.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 04:09:13 am »

What is happening here, in this strip?  Ray is being lazy by eating cold cheese on a tortilla chip and he gets busted by Teodor on it so he makes up something about it being some new thing.  Only T is not buying it.  Instead he suggest something better which Ray naturally goes for.  T seems angry though that Ray has basically ordered him to produce this dish he suggested.

Ray and Teodor have a strange relationship.  It's uneasy.  I don't think they really like one another much, but they seem to have a lot of mutual interest.

Anyway, I think I have those very ingredients in my kitchen.  It's not quite 12:45 yet, but I think I'm gonna have some migas.

Also, it's kinda weird that I thought wow, another strip already, it's only been... 5 days since the last one.  Damn he's spoiling us.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 04:14:28 am »

Have I lost my mind? The "what do we really know about a nacho - that it's melted cheese on chips" thing gives me a strong feeling of deja vu. Something from one of the New Yorker sandwich blogs maybe?

Tostada Monthly
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 04:58:44 am »

I'm ambivalent but did the first few panels strike anyone else as being like one of those cooking show set ups where the host is having all these 'friends' around? 'Oh hi Jeremy, fancy you being here I was just making some tumeric based carb chips.'
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 05:21:54 am »

Sucked.

What the hell happened to this comic.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 05:34:18 am »

Quote from: Doc
one of those cooking show set ups where the host is having all these 'friends' around

The weirdest one of these was the Molto Mario where for some reason, amidst his three random friends was Michael Stipe of REM. There was no mention of him being the guy from the one band in the world where their greatest hits album is actually all their best songs (seriously) and he just asked the two or three incredibly lame questions that the people like that always asked. He was even refered to as "Michael" but it was never connotated in any special way. It really weirded me out.

All I could think was... are they lovers? I mean, I'm pretty sure they're both guy oriented but...

I was so confused. Why was he on there if he wasn't plugging his newest wuss-rock project?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 01:03:53 pm »

The weirdest one of these was the Molto Mario where for some reason, amidst his three random friends was Michael Stipe of REM.

[snip]

All I could think was... are they lovers? I mean, I'm pretty sure they're both guy oriented but...

This is the most disgusting slash fiction I have ever read.

Seriously, Mario Battalli and Michael Stipe as lovers is like a sickly naked mole rat and Jabba the Hutt gettin' it on.

I mean, seriously, dude. Not cool.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 01:30:46 pm »

After looking up this Mario fella's wikipedia entry, I'd have to agree.

Also, the greatest hits thing: so true.
Logged

theauthors

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 01:57:39 pm »

so this was the other of the two comics he posted up on premium updates way back at the end of january. it just adds the bottom two rows. so those two rows took about two weeks to draw. and it isnt even any fuck*ng good

who wants to bet that the next strip is a Fuck You Friday :(
Logged
"I thought about the Big Bang and thought whether it was really a big bang, or did it just sound louder since there was no other noise to drown it out?"

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 02:10:38 pm »

Well, I liked it.  I think the correct title for this thread would have been "Don't egghead in the ghetto."

Is T really angry, or is he concentrating really hard to help make the bottle appear in Ray's hand.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 02:15:57 pm »

so this was the other of the two comics he posted up on premium updates way back at the end of january. it just adds the bottom two rows. so those two rows took about two weeks to draw. and it isnt even any fuck*ng good

who wants to bet that the next strip is a Fuck You Friday :(

Achewood will be awesome when it is ONLY fuck you fridays.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 11th February 2009 - It's all about denyin' expectations at this level
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 03:19:55 pm »

so this was the other of the two comics he posted up on premium updates way back at the end of january.

That's it. It was just the conversation without the pictures, on the premium updates. That's why I had that weird feeling that I'd heard it before but not seen the pictures.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up