The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on February 19, 2009, 10:36:11 pm
-
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
-
Sick, sick. I woke up this morning with plugged up ears, nostrils like twin snot fountains, and a sore throat so bad I thought I'd swallowed a live gopher. My son came in the room, climbed up on our bed, and laid his head across my stomach. Through my t-shirt, I could feel the searing heat coming off the back of his neck, and my first conscious thought was, "Ah, shit. I guess he's not going to school today." 101.5 fever. The girl's still snotting (has been all week) but seems at least in good spirits today.
And poor Pedro had to stay home from work and take care of all our sorry asses because I felt like my head had been stuffed with cotton balls and shoved into a nylon stocking.
Not good.
-
Being sick is sucktastic. I guess I've got it mild compared to some, but I don't like it.
-
Weird. Mrs. West has had a cold/sinus infection/crud for the past two days two. Is it possible to transmit the rhinovirus over the internet?
-
I haven't had this season's cold, though it's been going around the office. Instead I think I got an ear infection somehow. Most uncomfortable.
-
I am blissfully germ free at the moment (other than the usual benign freeloaders), but I made up for it over Xmas-fuck*ng-break with back to back colds and food poisoning. I literally lost 8 pounds of body mass from not eating and bug-fighting. Not a good way to slim down.
-
I was overcome after riding my bike home in a storm the other night but I hit that mother hard with the decongestants and basically slept when I wasn't at uni so I seem to be over it, which is good because otherwise I would have missed a big uni party yesterday.
-
The Littlest del Vaca is just now getting over it, and big sister is just coming down with it.
I'm fine so far. 500 mg vitamin C every morning, fools!
-
There's norovirus going round my college.
I haven't caught it (yet) but it's like a damn cholera camp round here.
-
Now I have the shitty sinus headache thing. Tell you what though. I went and bought REAL sudafed. Well, REAL GENERIC sudafed. Here is my drivers license Mr. Pharmacy Technician, hand it over please.
fuck*ng meth-heads and repressive governments aren't going to keep me from an effective anti-histamine. No-sirree.
-
Wear the same p.j.'s three days in a row without a shower.
man that shower when you finally take it, man, it's awesome
-
Yes to the PJs thing.
The way the wastepaper basket next to my desk (at home, not at work, that would be too far) stops merely being full of tissues and is eventually overflowing and surrounded by tissues and goes down into the tissues and becomes one with them in a big alps-like pile.
-
Stuffing today's used tissues into the box I emptied yesterday so I don't have to get up to throw them away.
Letting my kid stay in his overnight "just in case" diaper, even though he's potty trained, just so I don't have to expend the energy to chase him down and make him wear under#####.
Using leftover plastic cups and paper plates from my kids' birthday parties because the dishwasher's full of clean dishes, the countertop's covered in dirty ones, and I don't feel like dealing with either.
Excusing myself from my son's birthday party last night to go lie down in a dark room with a hot towel on my forehead.
Pedro and the Girl have both developed a stomach bug, on top of my probable sinus infection, Little P's persistent fever/snottiness and isolated vomit storm, and the Girl's continued nasal drainage. So we're all in a bad way right now. I fully expect the house to collapse into chaos by the end of the day.
-
Dang, you make your son wash his own laundry? Isn't he like under 10?
Sometimes I wish my parents would have been hard asses, but they are like the nicest people ever, so I can't complain I guess.
-
Whenever I did my own laundry or dishes or whatever as a child, my perfectionist dad would tell me that I did it wrong and would re-do everything.
Eventually, I learned to not try in the first place.
I am America.
-
The SO's sister Lisa is in for the weekend to celebrate the SO turning 30. We spent 3 hours taking Lisa to urgent care to find out she has a virus and there's nothing to do but wait. This is a girl who leaves piles of used tissues by the couch when she's feeling well.
-
isolated vomit storm
Isolated or not, this sounds like a bad scene.
Whenever I did my own laundry or dishes or whatever as a child, my perfectionist dad would tell me that I did it wrong and would re-do everything.
This sounds familiar, luckily now I live in a house where the washing machine doesn't get any hot water and don't have enough whites or money enough for laundry powder to justify more than 1 load a week. Yay!
-
My mom taught my brother and I to do our own laundry when we were youngish. I learned younger than my brother, because he got a crash course at 17 to prepare him for college, and I hung around the laundry room and absorbed the knowledge along with him. (That's how I learned most things as a kid -- waited around for someone to explain it to my brother, and pay attention.) We weren't expected to do it all ourselves, but we were expected to know how and to help occasionally. Same with dishes, dusting, vacuuming, etc.
She started young with us, I guess, tailoring our household duties to our ages and abilities. When I was four, I was in charge of folding my dad's handkerchiefs. (Who uses handkerchiefs? Middle-aged, frugal men with large Polish noses and allergies in the 1980's, apparently.) I would also help set the table and load the laundry into the washer (once it was properly sorted). As I got older, I could help fold t-shirts and socks, sort whites and colors, pour beverages for supper, and help stir the spaghetti sauce. Mom never made it a "you must do X chores for me," it was always, "hey, want to help me with this?" And she'd sit down on the living room floor with a basket of laundry and we'd turn on the TV and she'd get out the ironing board and iron Dad's shirts while I sorted and folded the socks. It was a pretty cool way to handle it, I think, and I try to do the same thing with my kids.
My son loves to help me do laundry, and I made a folding board out of some scrap cardboard and duct tape that he can use to fold his own t-shirts. And my daughter can already amuse herself for half an hour just pouring the clean socks out on the floor and then dropping them, one at a time, back into the laundry basket.
Back on the illness front: I got a prescription for antibiotics this morning and am looking forward to not feeling like ass pretty soon. My kids, meanwhile, having passed their bugs on to us, are feeling great and running around like lunatics. The boy IS going back to school tomorrow, so help me.
-
And my daughter can already amuse herself for half an hour just pouring the clean socks out on the floor and then dropping them, one at a time, back into the laundry basket.
Ah, fiendishly clever. Yeah, start 'em young.
You should write an article about this, I need to send it to someone, although it's really too late for her.
-
I think I got taught how to do laundry at 11 or 12. On the scale of chores, laundry is pretty mild in my book. I'd rather do laundry than wash dishes, say. Or sweep. I hate sweeping.
Now, since I am the lone male, I am the designated trash-taker-outer. That kind of sucks.
-
I think I got taught how to do laundry at 11 or 12. On the scale of chores, laundry is pretty mild in my book. I'd rather do laundry than wash dishes, say. Or sweep. I hate sweeping.
Now, since I am the lone male, I am the designated trash-taker-outer. That kind of sucks.
Where I come from "sweeping" or "running the sweeper" means vacuuming. Which I don't mind at all, except when somebody asks me to vacuum and that same person has left socks, magazines, and whatnot on the floor.
-
I learned to do the laundry when I was 12 because my mom was bed-ridden for the 3rd trimester of my littlest sister's...gestational period. Anyway, I know my way around a laundry room and the various laundry additives out there. But I hate hate hate folding clothes. Something about the way the items sap all of the moisture from your fingers, and the never-ending, cyclical nature of the whole endeavor.
So my clothes are regularly washed, but they sit in laundry baskets until I wear them again. Sometimes being single is not so bad.
-
So my clothes are regularly washed, but they sit in laundry baskets until I wear them again. Sometimes being single is not so bad.
Yes...single...
Or married to someone who's as big a slob as you are. That has its benefits, too.
-
The clothes-in-baskets thing is really my only particularly slobby habit. I keep the rest of the place relatively nice, and the clothes do get put away if people are over.
-
My SIL washes clothes then forgets about them for days at a time. Then she smells the mildew inside the washing machine and washes the clothes again.
-
I've done that. More often than I care to admit.
Never happened before I had the kids. I blame them.
-
For those of you who don't immediately fold: How do you keep them from wrinkling? I feel like I must put my clothes away or else I look like I slept in them. I bought enough hangers for my shirts/****** since I can't stand folding them so the only things I really have to fold and put away are sweaters. Undies get shoved in a drawer by the handful and sorting socks really isn't that big of a deal.
What I do HATE though is the fact that my landlord removed the washer and dryer from the basement or my building. So now I have to lug all my clothes to the laundromat. It's a really nice, and the giant machines mean I can get 4-5 loads done in an hour but still, it's a huge pain.
-
For those of you who don't immediately fold: How do you keep them from wrinkling? I feel like I must put my clothes away or else I look like I slept in them.
This becomes less of an issue when you have kids, and your main qualification for an item being "clean" becomes, "without detectable odor or spit-up stains."
Also, if you leave stuff in the dryer, you can just re-tumble it just before folding/wearing. It's terribly inefficient, but one does what one must.
-
Basically not caring if people judge you for a few wrinkles helps too.
-
Since I've been on my own I've always used the service that most washateria's provide. It's worth the money to not have to spend hours in the washateria. I had a washer/dryer when I lived in Utah so I did my own up there. It wasn't a big deal to me. I usually watched a movie while I folded clothes.
-
I either leave them in the basket or fold them when they come off the line. Mind you my week normally consists of maybe 8 or 9 t-shirts and 3 or 4 pairs of long ##### so it takes me all of five minutes.
I Hate washing dishes. Really really hate it. The burning your hands with hot water when you just start, the gross tepid water with oily residue, the way anything with tomato sauce will stain the whole sink so you don't feel like anything is getting properly cleaned; I find the whole affair unpleasant. Unfortunately the only thing I hate more than washing dishes is dirty dishes sitting around getting slowly more gross and precarious and making the kitchen unusable so I'm usually the one in my house who'll crack and attack the pile first. My pet peeves hate each other.
I don't have a definite memory of being 'taught' to do washing or anything, I remember folding the ironing with my mum and so on but as above a lot of these memories end up with me not ironing thoroughly enough or something. I'd worry that feminism is emasculating me after all but I think this sort of thing is what mothers are for.
-
man i love cookin' and i love not cookin' enough to clean up afterward. plus i don't always clean up after not cookin' so sometimes when i cook i clean up too. i don't mind takin' out the trash, it's better than lettin' the kitchen get malodorous and that. i've had to do dishes and trash since i was a kid- my mom's view was she fed us, so we earned our keep. plus, no dishes == no allowance.
but goddamn i hate hate HATE doing laundry. presidents' day i had off and the missus didn't, and i did the laundry because i "wasn't doing anything else." yeah, right. all these torrents ain't gonna watch themselves!
also, how long till ash tries to yank this thread back on topic
[edit comment from Ash: never now that it started rolling. Besides, why fight the TOUAMBie drift?]
-
Wear the same p.j.'s three days in a row without a shower.
man that shower when you finally take it, man, it's awesome
can'd, especially if you do the wash with something that's painfully refreshing like dr. bronner's tea tree oil or peppermint, or maybe pine sol with turpentine
-
dr. bronner's tea tree oil
Mmmmm, gotta get some of that.
I'm a peppermint guy myself (or almond when I want something a little less jarring).
-
I'm with Doc on the whole "washing dishes = no" thing. I either need to gloss over the situation to the degree that my wife yells at me for not getting stuff clean, or if I bend my will to the task, I spiral into some OCD endeavor that has me busting out the Iodophor from my brewing stuff and going basically nuclear.
-
some OCD endeavor that has me busting out the Iodophor from my brewing stuff and going basically nuclear.
Yeah, it's like a compensatory mechanism. They have to be so clean as to negate the distastefulness of cleaning them in the first place.