The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on March 17, 2009, 12:58:56 pm

Title: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: wombat on March 17, 2009, 12:58:56 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03172009 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03172009)

This is one of those where there's nothing to say till we see what comes next.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2009, 01:11:35 pm
Yeah, I don't think I understand the last panel at all.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: wombat on March 17, 2009, 01:12:44 pm
Yeah, the last panel should be the first panel of the next strip. Obviously one of those 'reads better in the archives' deals.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: hammish on March 17, 2009, 04:26:55 pm
"Now you will see me one more time, if you do good. You will see me two more times, if you do bad. Good night."

-Cowboy
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: Ben-San on March 17, 2009, 06:45:32 pm
I like this strip simply because it underlines that advice isn't necessarily good just because it sounds wise.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: saniac on March 17, 2009, 06:52:18 pm
What side is Lyle's hair parted on? I know Onstad takes flippy shortcuts, but that is hella lazy.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: Toaster on March 17, 2009, 07:01:41 pm
Wolcott,
Don't you know that it's insane?
Don't you want to get out of Gainsvillle?
Out of Gainsville tonight?
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: ananke on March 17, 2009, 10:36:44 pm
Lyle's got a new face.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: oball on March 18, 2009, 01:50:33 am
Yeah, I don't think I understand the last panel at all.

I took it to mean that next time he saw her, exactly the same thing happened, down to Wolcott telling him to let her go and calm down.  Then when she flipped out on him again, Wolcott wasn't there to dispense his booze-soaked advice, and Lyle went after her to continue the argument, leading to the breakdown of the relationship.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: Doc on March 18, 2009, 03:47:55 am
I took it to mean that Wolcott was trying to get him to ignore Darlene, get her angrier so he (Wolcott) could get with her(Darlene). Which is why Wolcott isn't there the last time Lyle sees her (presumably to leave Lyle for good) - he (Wolcott) has achieved his goal and made himself scarce. I think Oball's solution is better though.

Edited for clarity.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: pmcd9 on March 18, 2009, 04:35:28 am
I drew the same conclusion as Doc.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: Lister on March 18, 2009, 07:37:39 am
I'm just going to say that no one from Florida would call a highway "The 58."  This is an affectation that I didn't encounter until California.

Carry on.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: Choop on March 18, 2009, 08:23:27 am
lister is 100% correct

it's i-75 or route (rewt) 60 or the interstate or the turnpike or the old mill highway, which in actuality is a way old state route (rowt) that fell into disuse oncet they put up t'innerstate

here in cali all the freeways and state highways have names, which throws me off, especially when the douchebag on the radio tells me "the santa monica freeway is slow from crenshaw to la brea" and i'm like "wait crenshaw and la brea don't run through santa monica"
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: oball on March 18, 2009, 12:20:32 pm
I drew the same conclusion as Doc.

That I'm right?  Why thank you.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: Doc on March 18, 2009, 12:24:31 pm
Well, I said better, not right.
In a perfect world Lyle was not betrayed by his friend, Teodore is out of the closet, Molly is not a bitch and Beef's swaddling clothes was a wonder bread bag tied with a shoe string instead of an extension cord.
But we're not in that world now, are we?
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: jaydub on March 18, 2009, 02:47:14 pm
I'm just going to say that no one from Florida would call a highway "The 58."  This is an affectation that I didn't encounter until California.
And the Southern Californians at that.  Up here we used to refer to freeways as "880", or "5".  Sticking "The" in front spreads out from traffic reporters on TV and radio who cut their chops in the LA market.  I don't like the way it sounds, and consciously try to keep the older reference alive.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 18, 2009, 09:30:55 pm
Where I grew up, the I-90 to Albany and then the I-87 south to NYC is "The Thruway" and the I-87 north of Albany is "The Northway" going north or south...

But I-81 from Canada to PA is "Eighty-One".

Whereas in LA, I've seen people almost come to blows over whether its "Cal State Northridge" or "Cee-Sun".

And my girlfriend's college was "SUNY-Poorchoice".
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: Dangermoose on March 18, 2009, 11:44:05 pm
So in Oregon if a freeway is an interstate we call it "I-whatever," otherwise a freeway or highway is just "217" or "97," no damned "the."  Except that a couple freeways do have names like "the Banfield" which are used only occasionally.

One of these that has never caught on is that through Portland, I-5 is called "the Balldock."  I would like it if this was used more, but I suppose it's like naming a kid "Dick" in this day and age -- What does it mean to be a man in modern America?
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: jaydub on March 19, 2009, 05:39:22 am
You guys reference your Cal State schools funny too, you ninny.
Most of the Cal State schools around here are all into "re-branding" or something.  Cal State Hayward became CSU East Bay.  CSU Sonoma is all Sting-like, preferring to be called "Sonoma". 
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: jay-ell on March 19, 2009, 05:17:37 pm
In Toledo, we had "75" and "The Expressway" (175).  State route 20, AKA the Anthony Wayne Trail, was just "The Trail." 

Here in Raleigh, we have "40" and "The Beltline" (440).  State routes are usually called by their numbers -- 55, 54, 1, and 64 feature prominently -- but some portions of these (the parts that run through town and have stoplights) are called by name (Chapel Hill Road is the center portion of 54, for instance).  They're also building 540, which is supposed to eventually be like the 95/195/295/395 etc. thing in DC (you guys have, what, 6 loops?).  Most people so far just call it "The Outer Beltline."  (The inner being 440).  Right now, though, it's more like "The Outer Semicircle." 
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: milhouse on March 19, 2009, 06:32:14 pm
Here in the 'midwest' it's mostly just numbers. 64, 65, etc. Except for the ones that go by who they're named after. The "Gene Synder" or "Lee Hamilton Highway". But then you have "State Road 64", which of course isn't the same as Interstate "64".
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2009, 08:34:34 pm
I always reveal to people that I am not a native North Carolinian by referring to UNC as UNC instead of "Chapel Hill."

Or maybe just as someone who doesn't care about college basketball?
But again: revealing myself as non-native to North Carolina.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: Doc on March 19, 2009, 11:08:03 pm
We have few enough highways here that they all just have names. They probably have numbers too but no one knows them. One of the ones near me is called Bruce. True story.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: wombat on March 19, 2009, 11:32:40 pm
One of the ones near me is called Bruce. True story.

Seriously?

You do know that Monty Python bit where they're all called Bruce, right?
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: Doc on March 20, 2009, 12:15:29 am
Seriously?
Seriously (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Highway).

And yes I do, in fact I was singing the philosophers song to my housemate last night because he was bitching about his philosophy course. I said he should organise a bunch of people to break it out during a lecture.
Title: Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
Post by: Choop on March 20, 2009, 08:48:53 am
Another reason I like Atlanta: the highway system. 75 goes NW-SE, 85 goes NE-SW, 20 goes E-W. The Perimeter loops wide around the metro area, and 75 and 85 join forces downtown to become The Connector. Oh, and 400 shoots north of the connector. Other names exist, but nobody uses them.

'Course, as it sprawls further there's more spurs and bypasses that fuck up the symmetry, but fuck 'em, i'm ITP*, they're miles and miles away.

Fun fact: when an interstate has 3 numbers it's an extension to the original Eisenhower system plan; when the first number is even, it's a bypass (connects at both ends) and when it's an odd number it's a spur (connected at one end only). Just something I learned working at the hellhole known as the Georgia Dept. of Transportation.

*ITP: Inside The Perimeter, as opposed to OTP, or Outside The Perimeter. It designates geography, culture, and lifestyle. And it comes on those douchie geography oval stickers that were so big in '01.