Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09  (Read 4809 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 02:47:14 pm »

I'm just going to say that no one from Florida would call a highway "The 58."  This is an affectation that I didn't encounter until California.
And the Southern Californians at that.  Up here we used to refer to freeways as "880", or "5".  Sticking "The" in front spreads out from traffic reporters on TV and radio who cut their chops in the LA market.  I don't like the way it sounds, and consciously try to keep the older reference alive.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 09:30:55 pm »

Where I grew up, the I-90 to Albany and then the I-87 south to NYC is "The Thruway" and the I-87 north of Albany is "The Northway" going north or south...

But I-81 from Canada to PA is "Eighty-One".

Whereas in LA, I've seen people almost come to blows over whether its "Cal State Northridge" or "Cee-Sun".

And my girlfriend's college was "SUNY-Poorchoice".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 11:44:05 pm »

So in Oregon if a freeway is an interstate we call it "I-whatever," otherwise a freeway or highway is just "217" or "97," no damned "the."  Except that a couple freeways do have names like "the Banfield" which are used only occasionally.

One of these that has never caught on is that through Portland, I-5 is called "the Balldock."  I would like it if this was used more, but I suppose it's like naming a kid "Dick" in this day and age -- What does it mean to be a man in modern America?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 05:39:22 am »

You guys reference your Cal State schools funny too, you ninny.
Most of the Cal State schools around here are all into "re-branding" or something.  Cal State Hayward became CSU East Bay.  CSU Sonoma is all Sting-like, preferring to be called "Sonoma". 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 05:17:37 pm »

In Toledo, we had "75" and "The Expressway" (175).  State route 20, AKA the Anthony Wayne Trail, was just "The Trail." 

Here in Raleigh, we have "40" and "The Beltline" (440).  State routes are usually called by their numbers -- 55, 54, 1, and 64 feature prominently -- but some portions of these (the parts that run through town and have stoplights) are called by name (Chapel Hill Road is the center portion of 54, for instance).  They're also building 540, which is supposed to eventually be like the 95/195/295/395 etc. thing in DC (you guys have, what, 6 loops?).  Most people so far just call it "The Outer Beltline."  (The inner being 440).  Right now, though, it's more like "The Outer Semicircle." 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 06:32:14 pm »

Here in the 'midwest' it's mostly just numbers. 64, 65, etc. Except for the ones that go by who they're named after. The "Gene Synder" or "Lee Hamilton Highway". But then you have "State Road 64", which of course isn't the same as Interstate "64".
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 08:34:34 pm »

I always reveal to people that I am not a native North Carolinian by referring to UNC as UNC instead of "Chapel Hill."

Or maybe just as someone who doesn't care about college basketball?
But again: revealing myself as non-native to North Carolina.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 11:08:03 pm »

We have few enough highways here that they all just have names. They probably have numbers too but no one knows them. One of the ones near me is called Bruce. True story.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 11:32:40 pm »

One of the ones near me is called Bruce. True story.

Seriously?

You do know that Monty Python bit where they're all called Bruce, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 12:15:29 am »

Seriously?
Seriously.

And yes I do, in fact I was singing the philosophers song to my housemate last night because he was bitching about his philosophy course. I said he should organise a bunch of people to break it out during a lecture.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: no sooner than I'd microwave two tin cups 'a whiskey - 3/17/09
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 08:48:53 am »

Another reason I like Atlanta: the highway system. 75 goes NW-SE, 85 goes NE-SW, 20 goes E-W. The Perimeter loops wide around the metro area, and 75 and 85 join forces downtown to become The Connector. Oh, and 400 shoots north of the connector. Other names exist, but nobody uses them.

'Course, as it sprawls further there's more spurs and bypasses that fuck up the symmetry, but fuck 'em, i'm ITP*, they're miles and miles away.

Fun fact: when an interstate has 3 numbers it's an extension to the original Eisenhower system plan; when the first number is even, it's a bypass (connects at both ends) and when it's an odd number it's a spur (connected at one end only). Just something I learned working at the hellhole known as the Georgia Dept. of Transportation.

*ITP: Inside The Perimeter, as opposed to OTP, or Outside The Perimeter. It designates geography, culture, and lifestyle. And it comes on those douchie geography oval stickers that were so big in '01.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up