The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Cap'n Squeakers on March 20, 2009, 11:59:54 pm

Title: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on March 20, 2009, 11:59:54 pm
Onstad looks around his new home, sees his Wii and writes a new strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03202009).

Yup, it sure is a.. new strip.  I did enjoy the sly mocking of the Wii for it's many accessories and peripherals, however old and tired that joke may be.
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: wombat on March 21, 2009, 12:12:35 am
I assumed his ideas would all be games for killing people. Rather, they really are acts of genius.
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: CortJstr on March 21, 2009, 12:18:48 am
Even Nice Pete is using the term Protip. Just in case anybody thought it wasn't passe yet.
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: miles on March 21, 2009, 12:20:18 am
Quote
I assumed his ideas would all be games for killing people. Rather, they really are acts of genius.

I had the same thought. Nice Pete is strangely in tune with Wii game developers. Also, I don't know if the subject is the best line, but it's probably the correct choice. When I read it and was debating whether I should start a thread that was the one I had selected.

Also, PROTIP is a nice touch.
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: Toaster on March 21, 2009, 12:22:03 am
Distraction Piglet! I want one! It will distract me, like one of those Executive Desk Toys in the Discovery Channel Store. And if I'm in an awkward situation, I can throw the Distraction Piglet.
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 21, 2009, 07:50:14 am
Brother makes laptops? I just thought they made printers. Is he typing this on a printer/fax combo?
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: Choop on March 22, 2009, 06:28:43 am
bullshit nice pete knows the term protip

bullshit
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 22, 2009, 01:52:52 pm
Brother makes laptops? I just thought they made printers. Is he typing this on a printer/fax combo?
I figured it was a word processor.
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: CortJstr on March 22, 2009, 04:11:22 pm
bullshit nice pete knows the term protip

bullshit

Where did that start, anyway?
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: Harlock Hero on March 23, 2009, 01:18:54 am
Where did that start, anyway?

I think it's originally from the 80s-90s video game magazine, GAMEPRO. To each review, preview, or article of any sort, they'd add "PROTIPS" in a similarly interruptive fashion. Like: "PROTIP: Link can shoot his sword when his life meter is full. Avoid getting hit!"

They also had a TV show where the hosts would do the same thing, so I'm not sure which one is most responsible for popularizing the phrase... or is this is even the culprit, but it seems likely enough to me.
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: MagFlare on March 24, 2009, 12:56:44 pm
I think it's originally from the 80s-90s video game magazine, GAMEPRO. To each review, preview, or article of any sort, they'd add "PROTIPS" in a similarly interruptive fashion. Like: "PROTIP: Link can shoot his sword when his life meter is full. Avoid getting hit!"

You nailed the distinctive "GamePro Voice" - that sort of regret-fueled condescension that can only occur when a 48-year-old man with an MA in journalism realizes he's going to be writing about Mega Man under a pen name like "Sofa King" until his liver gives out. Well done.
Title: Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
Post by: Harlock Hero on March 26, 2009, 05:42:00 am
You nailed the distinctive "GamePro Voice" - that sort of regret-fueled condescension that can only occur when a 48-year-old man with an MA in journalism realizes he's going to be writing about Mega Man under a pen name like "Sofa King" until his liver gives out. Well done.

Heh, thanks. That was about the extent of all of their tips, actually, always some really obvious advice like "Corpseking has a lot of HP; just keep attacking until it's gone!" or "Be careful not to run out of time before you reach the end of the board."

That said, I guess I loved it as a kid who didn't know any better. The death of the magazine is definitely one of the bad points of widespread online-itude for me.