Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009  (Read 2748 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Cap'n Squeakers

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 36
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 146
  • I MET THE GUY WHO INVENTED SALAMI
    • View Profile
Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:59:54 pm »

Onstad looks around his new home, sees his Wii and writes a new strip.

Yup, it sure is a.. new strip.  I did enjoy the sly mocking of the Wii for it's many accessories and peripherals, however old and tired that joke may be.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 12:12:35 am »

I assumed his ideas would all be games for killing people. Rather, they really are acts of genius.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 12:18:48 am »

Even Nice Pete is using the term Protip. Just in case anybody thought it wasn't passe yet.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 12:20:18 am »

Quote
I assumed his ideas would all be games for killing people. Rather, they really are acts of genius.

I had the same thought. Nice Pete is strangely in tune with Wii game developers. Also, I don't know if the subject is the best line, but it's probably the correct choice. When I read it and was debating whether I should start a thread that was the one I had selected.

Also, PROTIP is a nice touch.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 12:22:03 am »

Distraction Piglet! I want one! It will distract me, like one of those Executive Desk Toys in the Discovery Channel Store. And if I'm in an awkward situation, I can throw the Distraction Piglet.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:50:14 am »

Brother makes laptops? I just thought they made printers. Is he typing this on a printer/fax combo?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 06:28:43 am »

bullshit nice pete knows the term protip

bullshit
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 01:52:52 pm »

Brother makes laptops? I just thought they made printers. Is he typing this on a printer/fax combo?
I figured it was a word processor.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 04:11:22 pm »

bullshit nice pete knows the term protip

bullshit

Where did that start, anyway?
Logged

Harlock Hero

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 15
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 01:18:54 am »

Where did that start, anyway?

I think it's originally from the 80s-90s video game magazine, GAMEPRO. To each review, preview, or article of any sort, they'd add "PROTIPS" in a similarly interruptive fashion. Like: "PROTIP: Link can shoot his sword when his life meter is full. Avoid getting hit!"

They also had a TV show where the hosts would do the same thing, so I'm not sure which one is most responsible for popularizing the phrase... or is this is even the culprit, but it seems likely enough to me.
Logged

MagFlare

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 12:56:44 pm »

I think it's originally from the 80s-90s video game magazine, GAMEPRO. To each review, preview, or article of any sort, they'd add "PROTIPS" in a similarly interruptive fashion. Like: "PROTIP: Link can shoot his sword when his life meter is full. Avoid getting hit!"

You nailed the distinctive "GamePro Voice" - that sort of regret-fueled condescension that can only occur when a 48-year-old man with an MA in journalism realizes he's going to be writing about Mega Man under a pen name like "Sofa King" until his liver gives out. Well done.
Logged

Harlock Hero

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 15
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Suck rag for milk - 20 March 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 05:42:00 am »

You nailed the distinctive "GamePro Voice" - that sort of regret-fueled condescension that can only occur when a 48-year-old man with an MA in journalism realizes he's going to be writing about Mega Man under a pen name like "Sofa King" until his liver gives out. Well done.

Heh, thanks. That was about the extent of all of their tips, actually, always some really obvious advice like "Corpseking has a lot of HP; just keep attacking until it's gone!" or "Be careful not to run out of time before you reach the end of the board."

That said, I guess I loved it as a kid who didn't know any better. The death of the magazine is definitely one of the bad points of widespread online-itude for me.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up