The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Cioran on April 12, 2009, 11:13:39 pm

Title: less than three
Post by: Cioran on April 12, 2009, 11:13:39 pm
One thing that sets Aches apart is compassion.

Only those characters are treated callously that show no compassion themselves - Pat and Nolan for example.

Onstad has taken Schulz's place.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Doc on April 13, 2009, 12:56:30 am
Come on, really? You're now postulating that we don't see compassion in any other webcomics? Go back to your room and don't come out until you're willing to apply yourself young man.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2009, 01:56:57 am
don't come out until you're willing to apply yourself young man.

Pssst.  I think Cioran is a young lady. (http://touamb.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1167)
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Doc on April 13, 2009, 03:05:11 am
Yeah, I know but 'young man' sounds better.
I'm also not entirely sure whether s/he's a troll or not and trolls always claim to be young girls from california.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 13, 2009, 04:12:09 am
Hiding behind false chivalry is definitely an indirect tool of defense by internet trolls, definitely.

It comes from the lonely ol' BBS smalltimes where a maladjusted dude would defend to the death anyone proposing to be a woman for the same of the one thin chance... one thin chance... that his playing the white knight in a chatroom for a person with a pu$$y, right wrong or crazy, could lead to the unlikely event of getting his c*ck wet for the first time in a long time.

And... like... there are still pockets of the internet where those souls exist.

It's a good, if blunt and crude, exploit to throw out there.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Leon on April 13, 2009, 09:47:05 am

It comes from the lonely ol' BBS smalltimes where a maladjusted dude would defend to the death anyone proposing to be a woman for the same of the one thin chance... one thin chance... that his playing the white knight in a chatroom for a person with a pu$$y, right wrong or crazy, could lead to the unlikely event of getting his c*ck wet for the first time in a long time.


Title: Re: less than three
Post by: dejavroom on April 13, 2009, 11:56:30 am
Only those characters are treated callously that show no compassion themselves - Pat and Nolan for example.

Clearly. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12272001)
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Doc on April 13, 2009, 12:02:16 pm
Clearly. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12272001)

I spent a good minute there getting increasingly frustrated that I couldn't get the alt-text to appear by mousing over the comic.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: jay-ell on April 13, 2009, 02:53:19 pm
Pssst.  I think Cioran is a young lady. (http://touamb.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1167)

I just realized that Cioran must be my alternate self from a parallel universe in which my time-travel experiments were a success. 

This is just the kind of thing I'd have done if we'd had Internets when I was fifteen.  As it was, I had to wait 'til I was 17 to fully blossom into an arrogant blowhard. 

I knew there was a reason I liked Cioran.  Reminds me of myself as a pup. 

You realize of course, that if I secretly believe s/he lied on her profile, this whole message is a shrouded insult, but if I believe that s/he is who she says she is, it's the utmost compliment.  Which do I intend?  That information is classified. 
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Ben-San on April 13, 2009, 07:39:00 pm
Only those characters are treated callously that show no compassion themselves - Pat and Nolan for example.

Nolan showed no compassion but also showed no special absence thereof. He displayed no greater crime than an inordinate interest in photographs of strange things, and when he was sent an invitation from somebody who appeared to be offering his desired product he responsed with great enthusiasm. In exchange for this, he was assumed to be a pedophile and killed.

Is the absence of circumstances in which to display special compassion also a crime worthy of punishment?
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2009, 07:50:21 pm
Nolan showed no compassion but also showed no special absence thereof. He displayed no greater crime than an inordinate interest in photographs of strange things, and when he was sent an invitation from somebody who appeared to be offering his desired product he responsed with great enthusiasm. In exchange for this, he was assumed to be a pedophile and killed.

Is the absence of circumstances in which to display special compassion also a crime worthy of punishment?

He's also a critic. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10062003)  Critics are pretty compassionless, right?
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: AugustWest on April 13, 2009, 07:57:06 pm
Also, it's not clear that Nolan was actually killed or that Ray actually hired anyone to create a death relationship with Nolan.  Perhaps the threat was sufficient. 

Although I'm sure that Nice Pete could think of an apt way to dispatch a guy who looks like Edgar Allen Poe.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: lprkn on April 13, 2009, 11:52:29 pm
My heart's explodin'! The possibilities!
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Cioran on April 14, 2009, 02:34:23 am
Clearly. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12272001)

That was early times, before the characters had really developed. Like how in the early part of the Bible God is really mean but later gets a bit nicer.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2009, 03:01:15 am
I just realized that Cioran must be my alternate self from a parallel universe in which my time-travel experiments were a success. 

This is just the kind of thing I'd have done if we'd had Internets when I was fifteen.  As it was, I had to wait 'til I was 17 to fully blossom into an arrogant blowhard. 

I knew there was a reason I liked Cioran.  Reminds me of myself as a pup. 

You realize of course, that if I secretly believe s/he lied on her profile, this whole message is a shrouded insult, but if I believe that s/he is who she says she is, it's the utmost compliment.  Which do I intend?  That information is classified. 

Naw, Cioran is really Onstad.

Or Jough. Or Gina.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: miles on April 14, 2009, 03:15:54 am
Can't you moderator-y people get the IP and do some research? Like if it's in Chicago we know it's Jough, and if it's untraceable, it's probably Gina's pu$$y.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 14, 2009, 03:41:49 am
Can't you moderator-y people get the IP and do some research? Like if it's in Chicago we know it's Jough, and if it's untraceable, it's probably Gina's pu$$y.

CIORAN IS HOBOT AFTER THE PLANE CRASH AND THE AMNESIA AND THE SOJOURN IN THE EXOTIC ORIENT
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2009, 03:50:39 am
CIORAN IS HOBOT AFTER THE PLANE CRASH AND THE AMNESIA AND THE SOJOURN IN THE EXOTIC ORIENT

Cioran is John Galt.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 14, 2009, 03:55:53 am
Cioran is John Galt.

Nah, he's a bit too fond of the Iron Cross for that.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Doc on April 14, 2009, 03:56:55 am
if it's untraceable, it's probably Gina's pu$$y.

"My God... the IP... it's coming from the WHOLE INTERNET!"
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: lprkn on April 14, 2009, 04:20:11 am
I was trying to come up with something and then I saw Doc's post. And I quit trying. And gave him a can.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 14, 2009, 05:08:46 am
"My God... she's full of stars..."
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Cioran on April 14, 2009, 08:22:41 am
Nolan showed no compassion but also showed no special absence thereof. He displayed no greater crime than an inordinate interest in photographs of strange things, and when he was sent an invitation from somebody who appeared to be offering his desired product he responsed with great enthusiasm. In exchange for this, he was assumed to be a pedophile and killed.

Is the absence of circumstances in which to display special compassion also a crime worthy of punishment?

Nolan's crime was being from the Internet.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: dejavroom on April 14, 2009, 12:02:46 pm
Cioran is John Galt.

Cioran is happy with all the attention.

As for

That was early times, before the characters had really developed.

, I call bullshit. Achewood is Achewood is Achewood, even when it is not Achewood, precisely because it's Achewood. Could there be any strip that mapped and circumscribed Achewood's "I fart in the general direction of your expectations" spirit more efficiently than the very first one (http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua7X4JNk)?
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: dejavroom on April 14, 2009, 12:32:00 pm
Could there be any strip that mapped and circumscribed...

Fuckcrap, it's contagious!
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 14, 2009, 12:36:20 pm
Fuckcrap, it's contagious!

Yes, indeed it is!

Also, you are full of it, Mr. Vroom. There was a very tangible jump towards anthropomorphization and continuity after Teodor's party. This was subsequently expanded on in various arcs such as GOF. How else did we get from "Teodor is an alive stuffed animal and Mr. Bear has no idea what a various liquors are" to "Teodor's parents were actuaries from Minsk and Mr. Bear is older than basalt and has seen it all" ?


Now, if we examine the various thematic undertones of Achewood in light of a "virtual leitmotif" for each character, as contextualized by the spirit of the audience at the time -- an "interactive zeitgeist" if you will, you will very clearly note --- OH FUCK I GOT CIORAN'D
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2009, 12:36:35 pm
Fuckcrap, it's contagious!

Cioran is standing on it.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 14, 2009, 12:43:04 pm
Cioran is standing on it.

A friend is giving me a book by Cioran (the real Cioran, not this one) on the condition that I burn it afterward.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 14, 2009, 03:26:40 pm
"My God... the IP... it's coming from the WHOLE INTERNET!"

"It's coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!"

"... no, wait, I was looking at your IP.  Hang on..."
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Cioran on April 14, 2009, 04:24:47 pm
A friend is giving me a book by Cioran (the real Cioran, not this one) on the condition that I burn it afterward.


There is no point in burning books because you always burn them too late.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Cioran on April 14, 2009, 04:28:01 pm
Cioran is happy with all the attention.

No I'm not. Achewood is interesting; I am not interesting.

Quote
I call bullshit. Achewood is Achewood is Achewood, even when it is not Achewood, precisely because it's Achewood. Could there be any strip that mapped and circumscribed Achewood's "I fart in the general direction of your expectations" spirit more efficiently than the very first one (http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua7X4JNk)?

I feel that you are in the wrong here.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: jay-ell on April 14, 2009, 04:40:42 pm
Can't you moderator-y people get the IP and do some research? Like if it's in Chicago we know it's Jough, and if it's untraceable, it's probably Gina's pu$$y.

Washington State. 
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2009, 04:42:00 pm
No I'm not. Achewood is interesting; I am not interesting.

So be interesting.  Use your powers for good.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: dejavroom on April 14, 2009, 04:52:06 pm
I feel that you are in the wrong here.

I feel that you are in the wrong here.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 14, 2009, 05:17:20 pm
Washington State. 

Nihilism from the home of Grunge. I am shocked. Shocked.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 14, 2009, 05:21:47 pm
No I'm not. Achewood is interesting; I am not interesting.

I feel that you are in the wrong here.

Dejavroom was the site's troll before you and after THA SUGAH RAIN HATH COME, therefore your apperance, ipso facto, has replaced him as the trickster-spirit (cf. Loki, Anansi, Coyote, Pan, inter alia) and causes an unbearable ressentiment. thus meaning that whatever claim you stake must be intrinsically opposed, despite the fact that his counter-claim is ludicrous.

In conclusion, I think you should meet up and have babies.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: dejavroom on April 14, 2009, 05:31:21 pm
Dejavroom was the site's troll before you and after THA SUGAH RAIN HATH COME, therefore your apperance, ipso facto, has replaced him as the trickster-spirit (cf. Loki, Anansi, Coyote, Pan, inter alia) and causes an unbearable ressentiment. thus meaning that whatever claim you stake must be intrinsically opposed, despite the fact that his counter-claim is ludicrous.

In conclusion, I think you should meet up and have babies.


Now rewrite Germany's fate during WWII, please. For extra points, try to work some unicorns into it.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 14, 2009, 05:34:29 pm
Now rewrite Germany's fate during WWII, please. For extra points, try to work some unicorns into that as well.

What, aren't you Nuero the annoying Brazilian, re-imagined by Ronald D. Moore into a scintillating dramatic masterpiece?

Also, babies. Hop to it.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: dejavroom on April 14, 2009, 05:37:47 pm
What, aren't you Nuero the annoying Brazilian, re-imagined by Ronald D. Moore into a scintillating dramatic masterpiece?


Why are you asking me? It's inside your scintillating head that the pretty pictures are rolling out...
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 14, 2009, 05:40:12 pm
Why are you asking me? It's inside your scintillating head that the pretty pictures are rolling out...

BABIES! FIVE HUNDRED OF 'EM!

(ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rE0EakhG8)
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: jay-ell on April 14, 2009, 08:21:05 pm
YEAH!  BABIES EVERYWHERE! 

I'd forgotten all about that commercial.  Hilarious times. 
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: AugustWest on April 14, 2009, 08:34:51 pm
Ahem. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,767.0.html)
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2009, 02:49:57 am
Washington State. 

That's not cool.
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: pmcd9 on April 15, 2009, 02:52:04 am
Now rewrite Germany's fate during WWII, please. For extra points, try to work some unicorns into it.

Done (http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg).
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: dejavroom on April 15, 2009, 12:07:03 pm
Very well done, sir. Almost made me forget my distaste for PBF for a sec. I specially like the subtle allusion to unicorns. A-
Title: Re: less than three
Post by: Toaster on April 15, 2009, 09:53:41 pm
PBF is le creepy, but I'm okay with that, because it's also smart. Seriously, PBF is like Cartilege Head 24/7.