The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on April 27, 2009, 04:52:18 am
-
Seems to match 1918 Spanish Flu inasmuch as it affects a disproportionate number of healthy young individuals, due to cytokine storm.
(http://chiaroscu.ro/images/latinohealthcrisis.gif)
-
1918 Spanish Flu
This flu killed my great-grandfather.
They were scared to go into the house to tell my great-grandma (because they thought the rest of the family might be infected, etc), so they called her to the window and then yelled it at her. "YOUR HUSBAND IS DEAD!"
-
bobby this pork product is so last wednesday how did i beat you to the punch on this i totally would have brought it up but whatever.
-
This flu killed my great-grandfather.
They were scared to go into the house to tell my great-grandma (because they thought the rest of the family might be infected, etc), so they called her to the window and then yelled it at her. "YOUR HUSBAND IS DEAD!"
Wow, that has got to suck
-
I was hanging in there doing OK with the whole collapse of the economy thing - I lived through the 70s and while I wasn't enjoying the strange feelings of deja vu, I know that the pendulum eventually swings back.
But with the midsummer weather in April and the swine flu - OK, I'm losing it. Now it seems like the apocalypse might really be imminent.
-
When I first heard about how big this was in Mexico I read something that said something like "weekend wrestling shows in Mexico City canceled for the first time since 1985. Also, schools there closed until May 6."
-
This flu killed my great-grandfather.
They were scared to go into the house to tell my great-grandma (because they thought the rest of the family might be infected, etc), so they called her to the window and then yelled it at her. "YOUR HUSBAND IS DEAD!"
Today they'd just text her.
-
@nanabella UR HSBND IS DEAD
-
I'm not calling it the swine flu. I'm calling it the pig flu. Who's with me?
-
Wow, that has got to suck
I realized as I was typing this that I don't know what my great-grandfather's name is. Or if he was also FOB Irish or what.
(FOB is a great acronym. My Chinese friend uses it to describe her parents when they do dorky things... "Fresh Off the Boat.")
Also my friend's friend briefly had the domain name "FleshOffTheBoat.com" registered, as a future asian porn site.
-
That is a good domain name.
Should "YOUR HUSBAND IS DEAD" be a thing?
-
I'm not calling it the swine flu. I'm calling it the pig flu. Who's with me?
From drewtoothpaste on twitter:
Pigs protested across North America today, referring to H1N1 as Human Flu. "Y'all's the ones panicking bout it," a spokespig said
-
Should "YOUR HUSBAND IS DEAD" be a thing?
I am always in favor of new Things. What we need more of are Things.
-
During the Spanish flu pandemic, as much as one-third of the world's population had symptoms of the disease
For some reason the specific phrase I want to say is "mother of God!"
Even though I don't completely understand what it means. Mary? Because Jesus is part of the trinity?
-
I think I have heard "mary mother of god" in curse form, so, yeah, that probably.
-
A quick Wikipedia search on this subject serves to remind me of how much I love those Middle Ages paintings where babies look like tiny men.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_God
It crossed my mind that nobody says "Father of God", meaning Joseph, but that saying is probably not in use for several reasons, having to do with gender roles, the nature of adoption, and links between blasphemy and "Your Mom" jokes.
Hey, I just thought of something: I was thinking that every time travel gets easier, some disease spreads really far. And that led me to think about space travel, and alien species. Which leads to a question: if we met an alien species, would their biology be so different from our own that their diseases couldn't infect us? Or would they, due to some reason that I don't know about? Who here knows enough about this to answer?
-
They're playing Mexican soccer games in empty stadiums right now. It's quite odd-looking.
-
JERUSALEM (Reuters) – Swine flu? Not in the Jewish state.
"We will call it Mexico flu. We won't call it swine flu," Deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman, a black-garbed Orthodox Jew, told a news conference Monday, assuring the Israeli public that authorities were prepared to handle any cases.
Under Jewish dietary laws, pigs are considered unclean and pork is forbidden food -- although the non-kosher meat is available in some stores in Israel.
(Writing by Jeffrey Heller; Editing by Charles Dick)
-
Government: Always on the ball.
-
Wait, ..., uh... doesn't this help the whole pigs are vile unclean animals thing.
-
Yeah, Kieth is right; why wouldn't people who don't like pigs take capitalize on a negative portrayal of pigs? Isn't nature kind of doing their work for them? Wouldn't they be like "See? See?"
-
Maybe some people get upset just saying it or something?
Seriously though, good to know they've got the important angles covered.
-
For some reason the specific phrase I want to say is "mother of God!"
Even though I don't completely understand what it means. Mary? Because Jesus is part of the trinity?
Mongo? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28khv-BydeY) Santa Maria! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongo_Santamaria)
-
Hey, I just thought of something: I was thinking that every time travel gets easier, some disease spreads really far. And that led me to think about space travel, and alien species. Which leads to a question: if we met an alien species, would their biology be so different from our own that their diseases couldn't infect us? Or would they, due to some reason that I don't know about? Who here knows enough about this to answer?
Depends what alien species you're talking about. For example, Thralians are independently-evolved humans deriving from the galactic seeding of Arisian life-spores, so Terran and Thralian diseases can cross-pollinate freely. Velantines operate similarly to humans on a cellular level, but their gross anatomy and physiology is significantly different - it is possible that a disease could cross over from a Velantine to a human or vice versa, but it's about as likely as catching a disease from an alligator. Palainian metabolic processes are four-dimensional, so it is highly unlikely that a three-dimensional Terran virus could functionally survive in a Palainian body. These are only three examples, so if you'd be more specific about which sentient alien species you're worried about catching a disease off of, I can probably clarify further.
-
How about an ALF?
-
New candidate for my favorite internet exchange, ever.
-
Yeah, this message board had a good day.
-
Of course, it appears that pigs are not so much at fault as humans:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6182789.ece
-
(http://static.crooksandliars.com/files/uploads/2009/04/twitter rick sanchez cnn_19b41.jpg)
The only potential species to have evolved from humans, specifically HeLa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeLa) (or, controversially, Helacyton gartleri), would likely be unaffected by swine flu.
-
Why, oh why did somebody have to screw a swine? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10262001)
-
Why, oh why did somebody have to screw a swine? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10262001)
Corkscrew c*ck.
Don't knock it till you try it.
-
A lonely young fellow named Fred,
Had a cock with a corkscrew shaped head!
He'd found what he'd hunted:
A lass corkscrew cunted
Alas, she had Fred-reversed thread.
-
Corkscrew c*ck.
Don't knock it till you try it.
B==e
-
Strictly speaking, wouldn't it be
8///////////=D
-
8///////////=D
A bright point in my day.
-
HeLa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeLa)
Education
-
Yeah, Kieth is right; why wouldn't people who don't like pigs take capitalize on a negative portrayal of pigs? Isn't nature kind of doing their work for them? Wouldn't they be like "See? See?"
Oh, right, I was so distracted making a Galactic Patrol joke I didn't get around to this.
I'm pretty sure the idea isn't to flatter pigs, it's to avoid stigmatizing people who have the disease. There are a lot of people who hear the name "swine flu" and assume you must have eaten/wrestled/fucked a pig to catch it. You know how some people won't tell anyone they have HIV or seek treatment because "it's a disease gay people get" and they don't want anyone thinking they're gay? Basically the same issue with calling something "swine flu" in Israel. It's not something you want added on top of a disease you're worrying about reaching epidemic nature.
-
That makes so much sense. I get it now.
-
http://doihaveswineflu.org/
-
I imagine a laugh-out-loud cat looking dizzy in front of a liquor bottle.
"do i haves wine flu?"
-
You should make that. For reals.
-
I have negative graphical editing skills.
-
(http://imgur.com/27K39.jpg)
-
There are a lot of people who hear the name "swine flu" and assume you must have (...)wrestled(...) a pig to catch it.
I like this idea for a disease.
-
I like this idea for a disease.
It would be cooler if you had to wrestle a pig for the cure.*
(the epic battle of hognarok)
* the cure, of course, is a soooey generis
-
VENGEANCE IS OURS (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article6215137.ece)
-
http://doihaveswineflu.org/
i havent had the urge to roll around in my own fecundity as of late........
-
fecundity
That means cum, right?
-
i havent had the urge to roll around in my own fecundity as of late........
That means cum, right?
You two sound like a dialogue between Merriam and Webster.
-
People make fun of the swine flu, but there are actually a few cases of it here in Chicago.
WEAK CONSTITUTIONS
MIDWESTERNERS HAS THEM
-
That means cum, right?
[[shrug]]i was under the impression it meant poop....
(more like funk&wagnalls, now)
People make fun of the swine flu, but there are actually a few cases of it here in Chicago.
WEAK CONSTITUTIONS
MIDWESTERNERS HAS THEM
there are like, 20+ cases in PA, and 3 of them or dead.
-
[[shrug]]i was under the impression it meant poop....
(more like funk&wagnalls, now)
there are like, 20+ cases in PA, and 3 of them or dead.
are
-
fecundity = fertility, I am pretty sure?
-
Jesus people, you're already on the internet. It's like two more clicks.
fecundity:
1. The quality or power of producing abundantly; fruitfulness or fertility.
2. Productive or creative power: fecundity of the mind.
-
boohoo boohoo
-
Back on topic: Hey look, it's a pandemic! http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090611/hl_nm/us_flu (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090611/hl_nm/us_flu)
-
Back on topic: Hey look, it's a pandemic! http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090611/hl_nm/us_flu (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090611/hl_nm/us_flu)
So is there a difference between pandemic and epidemic? Because based on Merriam-Webster I don't think there is.
-
pandemic is world or continent wide, epidemic is localized somewhere.
-
Keith beat me to it. Regardless, its a technical term the way its being used. It has to do with spread, not severity.
-
The plague is also making a come back, (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.db1c3a82d0827b5cdf05eea3ba146af8.2e1&show_article=1) because the world needed more things to worry about.
-
Don't call it a comeback, it's been here for years.
Seriously, I read about someone in America that got it a few years ago and even third world countries have the antibiotics to combat a flare up.