The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Toaster on May 08, 2009, 02:23:59 am

Title: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Toaster on May 08, 2009, 02:23:59 am
(to the tune of Road Trippin' by The Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Star Trekkin' with my first mate, Number One
Fully loaded we got phasers on 'stun'
It's time to leave this world
it's time to beam away
Let's go get lost
Anywhere in the quadrant "A"

Let's go get lost
Let's go get lost

Registration number
One se-ven oh one
Enterprise with yellow na-celles
Just a mirror for the sun
Just a mirror for the sun
Just a mirror for the sun

This Enterprise is just a mirror for...

So much has come before these battles lost and won
Lens flares shining more forever than the sun
Now let us check our heads
And let us check the ship.
Now Mr. Sulu, if you would engage the warp.

This Enterprise is just a mirror for...

On Vulcan we take some time to linger on
We three honky dories got our tricorder on
Now let us drink the stars
It's time to beam away
Right here in the Quadrant "A"

Let's go get lost
Let's go get lost
Let's go get lost

This Enterprise is just a mirror for...
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: lprkn on May 08, 2009, 05:06:18 am
Nice
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2009, 05:07:05 am
I cried at one point during the film. I had forgotten what an important part Star Trek was of my childhood/adolescence. I kept noticing mistakes/illogical things going on, and making nerdy comments to my dad.

I want to join Starfleet so much. Goddamn.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Toaster on May 08, 2009, 05:20:31 am
I cried when Kirk's dad died. That was moving as hell.

The Enterprise. The fuck*ng Enterprise. That ship is more beautiful than any human woman. The first time she came up on screen in space, my jaw dropped. I WANT A SPACE SHIP.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: lprkn on May 08, 2009, 05:28:43 am
I'm definitely seeing this on Friday.

In the meantime, we have taken to saying, "My name is James Tiberius Kirk!" in high-pitched, childish voices.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 08, 2009, 09:11:16 am
Those were not the lyrics I expected.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2009, 10:45:00 am
OK, on further thought, that movie was fantastic.

all I want is to be in Starfleet.

like, oh my god. i want to be a xeno-anthropologist or something. I would be in one episode as a special guest appearance, but I would get an entry in the Star Trek encyclopedia, and some novelization would have me as a more major character than I deserved.

(but also I mean that I want Star Trek to be real.)
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: dejavroom on May 08, 2009, 11:39:05 am
Never really got to watch more than a couple of eps. from the classic series, but I think I'll check this one out; a Lady (who also can't tell a tribble from an Ewok) wants to see it because it's from the "Lost" dude, and she likes that thing. I'm not having expectations as I had for Watchmen, but damn those lens flares will taste good on pot...
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: CortJstr on May 08, 2009, 12:42:14 pm
I have to see this with my dad but he won't be back from Istanbul until Monday, which means probably next weekend before I get a chance.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Doc on May 08, 2009, 01:06:22 pm
Yeah, was alright. I was coming down off a bit of a buzz so I don't think I was in quite the right mood for it, but alright. Lens flair everywhere!
Fun times though, I want Sulu's unfolding Katana.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 08, 2009, 01:44:54 pm
Never really got to watch more than a couple of eps. from the classic series, but I think I'll check this one out; a Lady (who also can't tell a tribble from an Ewok) wants to see it because it's from the "Lost" dude, and she likes that thing. I'm not having expectations as I had for Watchmen, but damn those lens flares will taste good on pot...

Is yer pot acid?
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: dejavroom on May 08, 2009, 01:52:01 pm
No, it's just... it's just pot. I have never even had acid =(
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Lister on May 09, 2009, 08:00:07 am
I was impressed.  I'd beaten down my expectations to the point where I'd have been happy if they got the names right and had a plot, but the movie was actually really good.  Sure, there are quibbles (acting captain status is kicked around like a hacky sack) but overall... good.  A good movie.  Smart dialog.  With Star Trek in it.

I really wasn't expecting that.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: wombat on May 09, 2009, 12:41:36 pm
Everyone keeps saying this movie is good, even people who I vaguely suspect to have a lick of sense. And I can't believe any of it. I am no conspiracy theorist but in this case it's more plausible to me that they're spraying happy drugs into the theaters to make everyone leave believing they saw a good movie.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: theinevitable on May 09, 2009, 06:10:08 pm
my belief is this:

people have such low expectations, and love these characters/this world so much, that they are willing to overlook the really silly plot and just... enjoy the characters.

I would have been happiest, I think, with an almost-no-conflict story of like... them all being friends at Starfleet Academy and overcoming some really minor obstacle and becoming closer, and at the end they all get assigned to the Enterprise.
It didn't need to be a whole time-warping alternate-universe paradoxen thing. That was not what I needed.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Doc on May 10, 2009, 03:31:27 am
It really reinforced for me that I miss Star Trek as a TV show. Having to save the universe all the time isn't what they should be doing, they should be mediating a border dispute or discovering a weird new planet or something. I think there'd be a lot of potential in doing those tinier stories again.
Hell, half the cast is either no name or TV actors and JJ Abrams does TV, maybe this is the back up plan?
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Bimmicus on May 10, 2009, 11:03:24 pm
They're not gonna be no-names anymore. This movie is going to make a godzillion dollars.

I was supremely indifferent about the whole thing when I walked in but I was ready to sit through it again when the credits rolled. Good flick.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Choop on May 12, 2009, 05:57:29 am
I thoroughly enjoyed this one, much moreso than the last couple TNG movies. I really liked the Kirk dude, he payed great homage to Shatner's terrible acting without acting terribly. Pike was great too, especially considering that character only existed in the pilot and pre-pilot from the original show back in the 60s. Quinto was good as Spock, I didn't think of him as Sylar at all (okay maybe a little) but good christ Nimoy is old.

I would have been happiest, I think, with an almost-no-conflict story of like... them all being friends at Starfleet Academy and overcoming some really minor obstacle and becoming closer, and at the end they all get assigned to the Enterprise.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz nobody wanted to see starfleet academy 90210 we already had that with the wes crusher bullshit that ruined tng ugh
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 12, 2009, 06:02:49 am
It is good that this thread got rolling before it seemed right for me to start posting up my own song parodies.

It is good for everyone.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Toaster on May 12, 2009, 06:24:42 am
I really liked the Kirk dude, he payed great homage to Shatner's terrible acting without acting terribly.
I thought that, too. This Kirk seems like he just really loves adventure and loves his job. So in the moments he acts like Shatner, it's kinda just like a guy being enthusiastic and not being afraid to show that he is excited. Like in the last scene, when he's all like "Bones, buckle up," and pats Bones on the shoulder, and Bones rolls his eyes, I got the feeling that he was thinking, "Yeah, that was cheesy, especially since we don't actually have seat belts on this ship. But I'm the captain of a fuck*ng starship, my life is awesome!"

I just realized something: someday space travel is going to be a lot more common than it is now, and a lot of cliches from today are going to be perfectly normal things. That'll be awesome.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 12, 2009, 07:09:23 am
Is Simon Pegg in this movie?  How was he? 
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Choop on May 12, 2009, 07:29:53 am
who else could play scotty? and when is simon pegg ever less than awesome?
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: wombat on May 12, 2009, 12:49:23 pm
I really liked the Kirk dude, he payed great homage to Shatner's terrible acting without acting terribly.

Sigh. Now I'm going to have to see this, to see what this could possibly mean. I really didn't want to.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Choop on May 13, 2009, 04:46:29 am
then my work here is done
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 14, 2009, 11:22:35 am
and when is simon pegg ever less than awesome?

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People?  Run Fatboy Run?
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: dejavroom on May 14, 2009, 12:41:57 pm
Sigh. So. Cinema nearest to my house only has dubbed versions of this. Fuckers. This screws up my plans to show up for the screening baked, since any other option is too far for me to make it still under the effect. And I really see no reason to watch this type of eye-candified adventure stone sober. But then the Lady wanted to see it near her place (subtitled version yay). But of course we cannot ever make to anyplace in time, she's just that good a delayer (if I hadn't half expected that we would be late, I'd be pretty bummed). It's a friggin' long queue, she says go get me popcorn while I buy us tickets (we were already late). I come back with this stupidly big and expensive popcorn bag for her (I don't even like eating while watching movies, God bung it) but then her credit caaAARABLOABLOOBLOOBLOO

You know what, fuck it! Fuck you in your pointy ear Star Trek. Fuck you long and proper.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: wombat on May 16, 2009, 01:08:43 am
Matthew Baldwin suggests that Spock has Asperger's  (http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/op-ed/autistic_trekdom.php), and the future will be a better place:

Quote
Watching Kirk and Spock—two men with vastly different worldviews—form a friendship based on mutual trust and admiration, I found myself thinking, “That’s the future I want my child to grow up in, one in which he will be judged not by the conventionally of his cognitive process, but by the content of his character.” In spreading its message of diversity, Star Trek once again identifies the final frontier, and plots a course straight through it.

Although my favorite part was actually

Quote
And lazy science-fiction authors can no longer use “black American president” as shorthand for “the distant future.”
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 16, 2009, 02:02:13 am
Next up for "way-out crazy future president"... lady of Middle Eastern extraction.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: Toaster on May 16, 2009, 02:34:39 am
I'd vote for her.
Title: Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
Post by: lprkn on May 16, 2009, 06:04:46 am
According to my hopelessly inaccurate internal reckoning of time, it is still the mid-90s and 2000AD is the distant future because I am a teenager. And also a British publication I have never read but know about because of Judge Dredd.