Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)  (Read 4597 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« on: May 08, 2009, 02:23:59 am »

(to the tune of Road Trippin' by The Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Star Trekkin' with my first mate, Number One
Fully loaded we got phasers on 'stun'
It's time to leave this world
it's time to beam away
Let's go get lost
Anywhere in the quadrant "A"

Let's go get lost
Let's go get lost

Registration number
One se-ven oh one
Enterprise with yellow na-celles
Just a mirror for the sun
Just a mirror for the sun
Just a mirror for the sun

This Enterprise is just a mirror for...

So much has come before these battles lost and won
Lens flares shining more forever than the sun
Now let us check our heads
And let us check the ship.
Now Mr. Sulu, if you would engage the warp.

This Enterprise is just a mirror for...

On Vulcan we take some time to linger on
We three honky dories got our tricorder on
Now let us drink the stars
It's time to beam away
Right here in the Quadrant "A"

Let's go get lost
Let's go get lost
Let's go get lost

This Enterprise is just a mirror for...
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 05:06:18 am »

Nice
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:07:05 am »

I cried at one point during the film. I had forgotten what an important part Star Trek was of my childhood/adolescence. I kept noticing mistakes/illogical things going on, and making nerdy comments to my dad.

I want to join Starfleet so much. Goddamn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:20:31 am »

I cried when Kirk's dad died. That was moving as hell.

The Enterprise. The fuck*ng Enterprise. That ship is more beautiful than any human woman. The first time she came up on screen in space, my jaw dropped. I WANT A SPACE SHIP.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 05:28:43 am »

I'm definitely seeing this on Friday.

In the meantime, we have taken to saying, "My name is James Tiberius Kirk!" in high-pitched, childish voices.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 09:11:16 am »

Those were not the lyrics I expected.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:45:00 am »

OK, on further thought, that movie was fantastic.

all I want is to be in Starfleet.

like, oh my god. i want to be a xeno-anthropologist or something. I would be in one episode as a special guest appearance, but I would get an entry in the Star Trek encyclopedia, and some novelization would have me as a more major character than I deserved.

(but also I mean that I want Star Trek to be real.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:39:05 am »

Never really got to watch more than a couple of eps. from the classic series, but I think I'll check this one out; a Lady (who also can't tell a tribble from an Ewok) wants to see it because it's from the "Lost" dude, and she likes that thing. I'm not having expectations as I had for Watchmen, but damn those lens flares will taste good on pot...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 12:42:14 pm »

I have to see this with my dad but he won't be back from Istanbul until Monday, which means probably next weekend before I get a chance.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 01:06:22 pm »

Yeah, was alright. I was coming down off a bit of a buzz so I don't think I was in quite the right mood for it, but alright. Lens flair everywhere!
Fun times though, I want Sulu's unfolding Katana.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 01:44:54 pm »

Never really got to watch more than a couple of eps. from the classic series, but I think I'll check this one out; a Lady (who also can't tell a tribble from an Ewok) wants to see it because it's from the "Lost" dude, and she likes that thing. I'm not having expectations as I had for Watchmen, but damn those lens flares will taste good on pot...

Is yer pot acid?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 01:52:01 pm »

No, it's just... it's just pot. I have never even had acid =(
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 08:00:07 am »

I was impressed.  I'd beaten down my expectations to the point where I'd have been happy if they got the names right and had a plot, but the movie was actually really good.  Sure, there are quibbles (acting captain status is kicked around like a hacky sack) but overall... good.  A good movie.  Smart dialog.  With Star Trek in it.

I really wasn't expecting that.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 12:41:36 pm »

Everyone keeps saying this movie is good, even people who I vaguely suspect to have a lick of sense. And I can't believe any of it. I am no conspiracy theorist but in this case it's more plausible to me that they're spraying happy drugs into the theaters to make everyone leave believing they saw a good movie.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 06:10:08 pm »

my belief is this:

people have such low expectations, and love these characters/this world so much, that they are willing to overlook the really silly plot and just... enjoy the characters.

I would have been happiest, I think, with an almost-no-conflict story of like... them all being friends at Starfleet Academy and overcoming some really minor obstacle and becoming closer, and at the end they all get assigned to the Enterprise.
It didn't need to be a whole time-warping alternate-universe paradoxen thing. That was not what I needed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up