The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on May 14, 2009, 01:18:45 pm

Title: Another guy's comic
Post by: wombat on May 14, 2009, 01:18:45 pm
There's a link to this here comic in the premium section.
http://donjolly.com/?p=382 (http://donjolly.com/?p=382)

Quote
I like it, and I want everyone to be nice to Don. I don't want that "Internet messageboard" thing to happen, where people start douching their mouths off left and right.

I know Onstad's rules don't hold here but... um. OK. I am saying nothing.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: AugustWest on May 14, 2009, 01:35:40 pm
Yeah.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: dejavroom on May 14, 2009, 02:15:26 pm
It would be nice if I could make something out of the writing and the drawings. Other than that, it is a really good comic!

Alternatively:

Onstad is in awe at having found someone even better than him in the game of not giving enough of a fuck.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: Toaster on May 14, 2009, 04:39:30 pm
"It's a fiercely competitive game, Phil, I mean they're recruiting kids right out of High School these days, and the talent is phenomenal; I'd go so far as to say that not giving a fuck is entering its golden age. I'm very excited for the upcoming season."
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 14, 2009, 05:05:27 pm
Back in my day, the coaches would force you to EARN your not-giving-a-fuck by building up, caring more and more about everything until you finally couldn't take it any more and simply COULDN'T give-a-fuck, after years and years of strength training to exhaust your ability to care about anything. These days, kids just outta middle school, they're letting 'em toss around ennui right from a dead stop.

Gonna throw out their arms like that.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: Toaster on May 14, 2009, 05:39:26 pm
Man, back in High School, I new this guy who was definitely going for the pros. But then he tore his TLDR ligament and couldn't walk more than five steps without his knee caring. Pretty soon, he just started caring altogether, became a civil liberties lawyer. We still have friendly games on the weekends, but you can tell his head is totally in it, he's giving 100%, which is a terrible thing too see. When we pass a bum on the street, he tries to look the other way, he really does, but you can still see his hand twitching to reach for his pocket change. The other day we watched one of those commercials for orphans, and he had to excuse himself to the kitchen. He said it was his allergies, but I could tell. He's slowly losing his ability not to care.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: smick on May 14, 2009, 06:21:36 pm
Moon and Sixpence is a nice bar. 

There are darts there.  Metal tipped darts. 

(http://static.groovr.com/cache/00/be/00beb28e5266686973b5cea92b8263d3.jpg)

It used to be really smokey there.  Now you can't smoke in bars in Oregon.

I think I lost my point...
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: dejavroom on May 14, 2009, 09:14:40 pm
On the other end of the artistic spectrum... (way, way, waaay away in the other end of the artistic spectrum):

Lackadaisy: I froth with envy. (http://www.lackadaisycats.com/comic.php?comicid=6)
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: lprkn on May 14, 2009, 11:24:46 pm
It is serious, but there are cartoon kitties, but it is serious. My brain 'sploded.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: AugustWest on May 15, 2009, 01:16:58 am
On the other end of the artistic spectrum... (way, way, waaay away in the other end of the artistic spectrum):

Lackadaisy: I froth with envy. (http://www.lackadaisycats.com/comic.php?comicid=6)

A) So far this is really excellent; and
B) It's cool because it has real St Louis references.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: Toaster on May 15, 2009, 02:36:41 am
Lackadaisy is the Minnesota Fats of webcomics. It is the limit, to which all others must take what they possess. Of those who have dared to go, so far none have come back alive. In the comics business, they call that strip "Widowmaker".
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 15, 2009, 03:58:18 am
I don't think I like (web)comics.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: pmcd9 on May 15, 2009, 04:32:39 am
Harlock, your comic doesn't suck.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: herofix on May 15, 2009, 06:37:53 am
I don't think I like (web)comics.

I'm in the same boat, I think.  Achewood is like the one friend I have who allows me to say defensively that I'm not bigoted.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: lprkn on May 15, 2009, 07:29:43 am
Harlock, your comic doesn't suck.

Seconded
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: wombat on May 15, 2009, 11:45:47 am
Harlock, your comic doesn't suck.

High praise!
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: Leon on May 16, 2009, 12:09:47 pm
 give me the grenade

 i can't

 why ?

 philippe is standing on it
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: dejavroom on May 20, 2009, 09:52:52 pm
I had only seen a couple of Lackadaisy strips (work is hell these last weeks). I just slapped the link in this thread to make a point about that other guy's comic not even trying, because I was absolutely floored by Tracy J Butler's drawings. No one should be that good. But yesterday I managed to read the whole thing and... Wow. It might be that for me at least, the best strip these days is still about ruuude felines - but it's no longer Achewood*.


* - That might just be the shock, though. Strip is hella slim still, and it oughta grow rather slowly, given the amount of work the artwork demands...
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: dejavroom on July 09, 2009, 06:22:04 pm
Psst. Lackadaisy updated.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: Doc on July 10, 2009, 01:03:19 am
Psst. Lackadaisy updated.

Glee
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 10, 2009, 02:33:25 pm
if you guys keep suggesting good stuff on the internets, ill probably continue to grace you with my presence.



wait....... nevermind. you did not just read that. [[jedi mind trick]]
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: dejavroom on September 02, 2009, 07:56:16 pm
It has updated again. This woman has some serious narrative skills. I just love how she keeps providing glimpses into all the rich backstory about which we still have so much to know...

Also: Mordecai, what a great (scary) character. Watch out for explicit violence in the form of axe chops to the shins, 's all I'm sayin'.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 02, 2009, 09:18:44 pm
It has updated again. This woman has some serious narrative skills. I just love how she keeps providing glimpses into all the rich backstory about which we still have so much to know...

Also: Mordecai, what a great (scary) character. Watch out for explicit violence in the form of axe chops to the shins, 's all I'm sayin'.

amen.
Title: Re: Another guy's comic
Post by: jaydub on September 02, 2009, 09:45:03 pm
Lackadaisy is indeed awesome.  Why did I wait so long to click on that link?