The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: dejavroom on May 22, 2009, 01:45:39 pm

Title: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: dejavroom on May 22, 2009, 01:45:39 pm
Shit will ambulate downwardly. (http://achewood.com/index.php)

Oh my God, look at Ray's thighs.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: AugustWest on May 22, 2009, 02:00:25 pm
Ray's right about Clint Howard.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2009, 02:55:03 pm
I like to think that LN hasn't actually been dead for a year in in-strip time, he was just already mad skipping when he got killed.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: jaydub on May 22, 2009, 03:38:29 pm
I had a roommate with a '91 323.  It was a flimsy piece of crap.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 22, 2009, 03:46:23 pm
I would like to know the story of the truant officer's horrible marriage.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2009, 06:27:54 pm
I like the My Side of the Mountain reference. YES.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: pmcd9 on May 22, 2009, 06:58:39 pm
I don't really know how all this works even in Achewood.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: AugustWest on May 22, 2009, 07:25:57 pm
I don't really know care how all this works even in Achewood.

FTFY

A wizard did it.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: Toaster on May 23, 2009, 03:54:28 am
My dad has a '93 626. And he went to Princeton (for one single semester semester). Oh, wait, I just remembered that he got rid of it like a month ago. But still.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: Gimpson on May 23, 2009, 11:09:32 am
God, of course Ray has a storage unit full of unused high-end camping gear.  It's so obvious.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: Toaster on May 24, 2009, 04:56:24 am
I have begun to read Walden. I am reading it on the internet, as I could not find a copy at my local bookstore. I thought about asking an employee where I could find it, but that seemed to run counter to the message of the book?
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 24, 2009, 05:41:31 am
Wasn't the message of Walden that if you're rich and/or famous, you can go chill out and have picnics at your summer house, pretend that you're roughing it in the woods and being all deep, and no one will call you on it? Or am I confusing it with something else?
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: theinevitable on May 24, 2009, 09:21:20 pm
I have been more and more glad over time that my initial reaction to Walden in 11th grade was "Why are we supposed to be impressed that a rich dude lived in a house in a park for a while?"
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: miles on May 25, 2009, 03:18:50 pm
You are both absolutely right. Though if I were rich I'd chill in the woods for extended periods of time, I just wouldn't tell everybody about it.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: wombat on May 25, 2009, 03:30:13 pm
It occurs to me that perhaps Thoreau was the progenitor of a whole genre of 21st century nonfiction - that one where someone goes and has some everyday experience for an extended period of time for the express purpose of writing a book about it - the guy who read the whole encyclopedia, the guy who lived on fast food, the woman who lived on only as much money as you make on minimum wage...  The whole point is not living it so much as telling someone about it.

Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2009, 06:27:51 pm
also "A Walk in the Woods" where he does something a little more intense, but insists on acting like he has no common sense. "Why do I need to bring food other than ramen noodles? This is stupid, I'm just going to bring ramen. It's a good idea to hike most of the appalachian trail alone, right?"

But actually, I liked that book a lot.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: wombat on May 25, 2009, 06:55:00 pm
That one doesn't really seem so much like the kind of book I'm thinking of. At least hiking the trail is something that lots of real people do, you know? It's not like 'eat nothing but fast food for a month' or 'pretend to be poor.' At least it's something a real person would do, not an everyday thing taken to a fake extent so it makes a book.

Maybe I give him a pass because he's been writing books more or less like that since back before it was such a silly trend. But also, "take a long hike and write about it" has a long history as a genre. I think of Basho the haiku poet who did it in the 17th century, but there must be Western examples I'm not thinking of.

So, yeah, Bill Bryson is off the hook but the rest of you silly writers, cut it the heck out.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 25, 2009, 06:56:35 pm
Doesn't Bill Bryson's walking partner throw out most of their provisions early on because they're too heavy and he's a twerp? I could be wrong, it's been a decade or so since I read that book...

To be fair, though, Bryson's a travel writer, and that's kind of different to being the author of Oh, Brother: How Six Months Living The Life Of A Monk Made Me More Deeply Aware Of What It Is To Be A Monk Than Monks Are.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 25, 2009, 07:10:07 pm
Thoreau invented celeblogging?

Oh my God, that makes so much sense it is frightening.

It is as if American culture is a vast Rubiks Cube and, dammit, realizing this just completed the orange side.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: wombat on May 25, 2009, 07:26:29 pm
Doesn't Bill Bryson's walking partner throw out most of their provisions early on because they're too heavy and he's a twerp? I could be wrong, it's been a decade or so since I read that book...

I don't remember that, what I remember is that Bryson threw out all of the other guy's Little Debbie cakes. It stuck in my mind because he doesn't otherwise seem like such a cruel person, you know?
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: Toaster on May 25, 2009, 07:36:43 pm
Why does this sound like something out of Calvin & Hobbes?
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: theinevitable on May 25, 2009, 10:33:35 pm
maybe I am misremembering about the Ramen, but I remember noting a lot of weird choices he made in terms of what to bring. Choices I knew were weird with my only camping experience being 2 or 3 day camp outs at the summer camp I worked at.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: Toaster on May 25, 2009, 10:53:22 pm
When I was a small child, I would make a game out of determining what I needed for an extended period of time, for example snacks, books, toys (because I was a child), tissues if I had a cold, adequate water to stay hydrated, chewing gum, etc. And I was really good at it. If I ever needed to go camping, I would pack like a motherfucker. I would consider every contingency, every intention. I was like a little Batman, except with living parents.

Sadly, I believe I have lost this skill, but maybe I could get it back if I practiced, especially with camping and/or traveling and/or road trips. I think I will some day.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: miles on May 26, 2009, 02:33:07 am
I like the My Side of the Mountain reference. YES.

Doesn't it seem unlikely that LN would be a fan?
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: pmcd9 on May 26, 2009, 03:41:54 am
So basically Thoreau is the rich girl in this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMd9zyJLg)?
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: Ben-San on May 27, 2009, 07:15:58 am
Doesn't it seem unlikely that LN would be a fan?

He was a fan of it at the time that Ray last comprehended what LN was "into".
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: theinevitable on May 27, 2009, 06:52:31 pm
Imagine: it was more recently than one would think.
Imagine: young nephew rapping hardcore about how much he misses Frightful.
Title: Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
Post by: lprkn on May 28, 2009, 02:56:45 am
So basically Thoreau is the rich girl in this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EMd9zyJLg)?

Quote from: YouTube
The URL contained a malformed video ID.

"malformed" Hmmm...