Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!  (Read 6002 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 06:27:51 pm »

also "A Walk in the Woods" where he does something a little more intense, but insists on acting like he has no common sense. "Why do I need to bring food other than ramen noodles? This is stupid, I'm just going to bring ramen. It's a good idea to hike most of the appalachian trail alone, right?"

But actually, I liked that book a lot.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 06:55:00 pm »

That one doesn't really seem so much like the kind of book I'm thinking of. At least hiking the trail is something that lots of real people do, you know? It's not like 'eat nothing but fast food for a month' or 'pretend to be poor.' At least it's something a real person would do, not an everyday thing taken to a fake extent so it makes a book.

Maybe I give him a pass because he's been writing books more or less like that since back before it was such a silly trend. But also, "take a long hike and write about it" has a long history as a genre. I think of Basho the haiku poet who did it in the 17th century, but there must be Western examples I'm not thinking of.

So, yeah, Bill Bryson is off the hook but the rest of you silly writers, cut it the heck out.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 06:56:35 pm »

Doesn't Bill Bryson's walking partner throw out most of their provisions early on because they're too heavy and he's a twerp? I could be wrong, it's been a decade or so since I read that book...

To be fair, though, Bryson's a travel writer, and that's kind of different to being the author of Oh, Brother: How Six Months Living The Life Of A Monk Made Me More Deeply Aware Of What It Is To Be A Monk Than Monks Are.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 07:10:07 pm »

Thoreau invented celeblogging?

Oh my God, that makes so much sense it is frightening.

It is as if American culture is a vast Rubiks Cube and, dammit, realizing this just completed the orange side.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 07:26:29 pm »

Doesn't Bill Bryson's walking partner throw out most of their provisions early on because they're too heavy and he's a twerp? I could be wrong, it's been a decade or so since I read that book...

I don't remember that, what I remember is that Bryson threw out all of the other guy's Little Debbie cakes. It stuck in my mind because he doesn't otherwise seem like such a cruel person, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 07:36:43 pm »

Why does this sound like something out of Calvin & Hobbes?
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 10:33:35 pm »

maybe I am misremembering about the Ramen, but I remember noting a lot of weird choices he made in terms of what to bring. Choices I knew were weird with my only camping experience being 2 or 3 day camp outs at the summer camp I worked at.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 10:53:22 pm »

When I was a small child, I would make a game out of determining what I needed for an extended period of time, for example snacks, books, toys (because I was a child), tissues if I had a cold, adequate water to stay hydrated, chewing gum, etc. And I was really good at it. If I ever needed to go camping, I would pack like a motherfucker. I would consider every contingency, every intention. I was like a little Batman, except with living parents.

Sadly, I believe I have lost this skill, but maybe I could get it back if I practiced, especially with camping and/or traveling and/or road trips. I think I will some day.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 02:33:07 am »

I like the My Side of the Mountain reference. YES.

Doesn't it seem unlikely that LN would be a fan?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 03:41:54 am »

So basically Thoreau is the rich girl in this song?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 07:15:58 am »

Doesn't it seem unlikely that LN would be a fan?

He was a fan of it at the time that Ray last comprehended what LN was "into".
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 06:52:31 pm »

Imagine: it was more recently than one would think.
Imagine: young nephew rapping hardcore about how much he misses Frightful.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: May 22, 2009 - I KNOW PEOPLE, CHARLEY! I CAN MAKE CALLS!
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 02:56:45 am »

So basically Thoreau is the rich girl in this song?

Quote from: YouTube
The URL contained a malformed video ID.

"malformed" Hmmm...
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up