The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Toaster on June 09, 2009, 01:22:10 am

Title: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: Toaster on June 09, 2009, 01:22:10 am
So apparently the internet has spontaneously decided to read Infinite Jest this summer. All this is seemingly for the sake of a wordplay joke, and that means that I cannot resist.

I will be doing this. It will be my first time reading Infinite Jest.

Who has heard of this? Who is doing this?

Infinite Summer dot org (http://www.infinitesummer.org)

Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: pmcd9 on June 09, 2009, 02:23:49 am
That blog post gives me the impression that Infinite Jest must be a lot like listening to Joe Satriani.  That is to say, the dude can play the shit out of the guitar, but he's not making music (at least to my ears).
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2009, 02:34:59 am
This strikes me as a gimmick that some bloggers came up with to make themselves more famous. And I am sorry to have to say that because a couple of them are favorites of mine.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: CortJstr on June 09, 2009, 03:07:55 am
What is the wordplay joke?

I read this about 3 years ago on the recommendation of Andalucia (a former TOUAMBie) when I said I really like books with neat footnotes.

It was definitely interesting but I'm still not sure if it's actually good or just obtuse enough that people go, "this is difficult to understand therefore it must be really good"
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: Toaster on June 09, 2009, 03:21:59 am
The wordplay joke was "Infinite Summer". Because it makes it sound like the summer is going to be infinite? And maybe I thought it was more clever than it is?

*grins awkwardly*

*hides behind couch*


Toaster is easily impressed.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: AugustWest on June 09, 2009, 03:34:56 am
I might give it a shot, if I can get my hands on a copy easily and cheaply.  I got a couple hundred pages into it a few years ago.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 09, 2009, 06:53:39 am
If these people got into a big fight about how to read it, it could be a Crisis on Infinite Jest.

And...

And I'm a nerd.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: Doc on June 09, 2009, 07:58:36 am
I would be all for this except I just read that damn book at the start of the year. Which was my summer anyway? So yeah.

Also yes LFM, yes you are.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: jaydub on June 09, 2009, 06:38:24 pm
I remember that book as the largest unread one in Side_Show's collection (http://www.flickr.com/photos/side_show/2173901776/).
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: dejavroom on June 09, 2009, 09:19:08 pm
This link might be of interest to you, Toasts. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4650.0.html)
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: Toaster on June 09, 2009, 10:35:53 pm
Reading that thread, I see that a lot of people here are more interested in jests of the finite variety.

Also, what is the deal with prescriptivism vs. descriptivism? I read about that in Dinosaur Comics.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: wombat on June 09, 2009, 11:01:16 pm
You mean there was a Dinosaur Comic about how TOAUMB can't go five freaking seconds without getting into a discussion of prescriptive vs descriptive grammar? I knew things had gotten out of hand, but that's pretty impressive.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: jough on June 10, 2009, 02:27:02 am
My girlfriend and I are planning to read Infinite Jest this summer.  It'll be fun. Maybe.

I'll let you know. Maybe.

Glad to see the board is kicking it post-modern school.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: CortJstr on June 10, 2009, 03:33:01 am
You mean there was a Dinosaur Comic about how TOAUMB can't go five freaking seconds without getting into a discussion of prescriptive vs descriptive grammar? I knew things had gotten out of hand, but that's pretty impressive.

Also: breast-size preference and pubic hair grooming. All topics we can't get enough of.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: Doc on June 10, 2009, 08:29:56 am
Giraffe placentas alas, seem to have gone the way of the dodo.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: dejavroom on June 10, 2009, 11:32:08 am
Reading that thread, I see that a lot of people here are more interested in jests of the finite variety.

I find IJ to be an extremely interesting read, and funny, very funny. "The ominous finger-pointing of street aggression", which I used as sig for a long time here, came from that book. With me it's simply a case of being won by DFW's style(s) and humor, because IJ's Weltanschauung foundations are a bit rickety.

Edit: Fuck, it's still my sig!
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: TripperDay on June 10, 2009, 03:47:30 pm
Giraffe placentas alas, seem to have gone the way of the dodo.

Destroyed by European seamen?
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: theinevitable on June 10, 2009, 04:11:31 pm
i almost made reference to his prescriptivism article in this thread, and then decided not to go down that road.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: wombat on June 10, 2009, 07:46:53 pm
i almost made reference to his prescriptivism article in this thread, and then decided not to go down that road.

THANK YOU.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: wombat on June 10, 2009, 07:48:27 pm
Giraffe placentas alas, seem to have gone the way of the dodo.

But hey - did you know that echidnas have four headed c*ckes?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/science/09angi.html?_r=1&em (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/science/09angi.html?_r=1&em)
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: CortJstr on June 10, 2009, 08:07:50 pm
But hey - did you know that echidnas have four headed c*ckes?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/science/09angi.html?_r=1&em (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/science/09angi.html?_r=1&em)

Yes, but is it barbed?
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: wombat on June 11, 2009, 12:40:06 am
It doesn't need to be!
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: pmcd9 on June 11, 2009, 03:50:08 am
It doesn't need to be!

In the sense that it doesn't need to be for echidnas to procreate or it doesn't need to be for us to get a chuckle out of it?
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: Toaster on June 11, 2009, 04:08:47 am
In the sense that we are of the opinion that not enough things are barbed.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: theinevitable on June 11, 2009, 08:36:07 am
sometimes I tell people about barbed cat penes and they get upset that I know such a thing.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: CortJstr on June 11, 2009, 01:20:11 pm
sometimes I tell people about barbed cat penes and they get upset that I know such a thing.

Because it's you, I'm going to assume you're telling this to super-hot girls just as they were leaning in to kiss you.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: theinevitable on June 11, 2009, 05:46:04 pm
how did you know?
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: Toaster on June 14, 2009, 04:19:05 am
I'm not gonna do it.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: wombat on June 18, 2009, 05:29:15 pm
OK, if you're not impressed with the echidna, how about the longest bird c*ck ever? It's corkscrew-shaped!
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/enviro/EnviroRepublish_366856.htm (http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/enviro/EnviroRepublish_366856.htm)
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: Doc on June 19, 2009, 12:51:11 am
I'm envisioning how planes refuel in mid air.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: lprkn on June 21, 2009, 02:08:02 am
barrel roll?
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: miles on July 01, 2009, 03:27:14 am
Kind of related:

I've always meant to read Ulysses but so far have yet to get around to it. This (http://ulyssesseen.com/comic/us_comic_tel_iii.html) could make it easier.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: TripperDay on July 02, 2009, 05:36:42 pm
sometimes I tell people about barbed cat penes and they get upset that I know such a thing.

Someone once made a joke about a Chinese place serving cat, and I asked what the big deal was and said since we're at the top of the food chain, maybe should only eat other carnivores. Then everyone got quiet and stared at me like they do.
Title: Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
Post by: dejavroom on July 02, 2009, 06:44:24 pm
Kind of related:

I've always meant to read Ulysses but so far have yet to get around to it. This (http://ulyssesseen.com/comic/us_comic_tel_iii.html) could make it easier.

Cool site. Made me dig the old beast off the shelf again (it's actually a box). Let's see how much I can read before having my sense of self-worth as a would-be craftsman crushed to dust yet again...